Jackson Carman-OT, Clemson (Rd. 3 prospect to plug up the Guard spot)

PepPep

Jackson Carman is listed as 6'5, 335 lbs. Played LT for Clemson and enters the draft after his Junior year. 

This dude is powerful. He absolutely dominates smaller players and if he gets leverage on you, its over. He's projected as a RT in the NFL. He has great strength and good athleticism and is great in the run game while holding his own against the pass rush. However, seems like there are some concerns with speedy edge rushers getting around him, making him a candidate to move inside to Guard where he could flourish as a well rounder player in the NFL. I think he could be a nice fit for the Jets in Rd. 3 as they address other needs with their first 3 selects in Rd. 1 and 2 like QB, WR and Edge. If the Jets hold on to Fant and maybe even bring in Thuney (one can wish), I can see him competing for a starting spot at the RG position and excelling there, potentially moving to RT eventually. The Jets can go a number of ways to address the G/OT position in Rd. 3 if that's where they decided to do it, Carman just seems like he has that raw talent that would translate to the NFL immediately. You look at guys like Aaron Banks and Ben Cleveland, good Guard prospects who are probably going to go around Rd. 3 and they don't show the same type of power that Carman does. Even a guy like Duane Brown, who has great power, doesn't have the versatility that Carman does. Just being able to slide your guard to tackle in a pinch can be critical.   

Here's some clips of him vs Notre Dame. You can really see the power he plays with. At LT, he's not the most athletic guy but he shows good hands in pass protection and I think he can be a really good NFL Guard.  

Clemson LT Jackson Carman vs. Notre Dame (2020) ᴴᴰ - YouTube

Thoughts? Any Clemson fans out there that have more info on this kid and where he might end up going in the draft? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Jackson Carman is listed as 6'5, 335 lbs. Played LT for Clemson and enters the draft after his Junior year. 

This dude is powerful. He absolutely dominates smaller players and if he gets leverage on you, its over. He's projected as a RT in the NFL. He has great strength and good athleticism and is great in the run game while holding his own against the pass rush. However, seems like there are some concerns with speedy edge rushers getting around him, making him a candidate to move inside to Guard where he could flourish as a well rounder player in the NFL. I think he could be a nice fit for the Jets in Rd. 3 as they address other needs with their first 3 selects in Rd. 1 and 2 like QB, WR and Edge. If the Jets hold on to Fant and maybe even bring in Thuney (one can wish), I can see him competing for a starting spot at the RG position and excelling there, potentially moving to RT eventually. The Jets can go a number of ways to address the G/OT position in Rd. 3 if that's where they decided to do it, Carman just seems like he has that raw talent that would translate to the NFL immediately. You look at guys like Aaron Banks and Ben Cleveland, good Guard prospects who are probably going to go around Rd. 3 and they don't show the same type of power that Carman does. Even a guy like Duane Brown, who has great power, doesn't have the versatility that Carman does. Just being able to slide your guard to tackle in a pinch can be critical.   

Here's some clips of him vs Notre Dame. You can really see the power he plays with. At LT, he's not the most athletic guy but he shows good hands in pass protection and I think he can be a really good NFL Guard.  

Clemson LT Jackson Carman vs. Notre Dame (2020) ᴴᴰ - YouTube

Thoughts? Any Clemson fans out there that have more info on this kid and where he might end up going in the draft? 

I like the nastiness to Carman's game, but I wonder if his athleticism translates to what the Jets want to run. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/27/2021 at 7:53 PM, maury77 said:

I like the nastiness to Carman's game, but I wonder if his athleticism translates to what the Jets want to run. 

Agreed, he’s a guard in the NFL and limited to teams running a gap/power scheme.  I don’t see a fit with the Jets at all. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1