Question about Saleh/LaFleur

22 hours ago, wediditjoe said:

Hello Jet Nation - new poster here, long time reader. Let me just preface this by saying it’s an absolutely great ****in time to be a Jets fan.

Something I’ve been thinking about lately, and I haven’t seen it discussed anywhere - is our new coaching staff’s ability to develop a QB. We’ve obviously failed miserably at doing this for the past decade plus - Rex with Sanchez/Geno, Bowles with Darnold (although I thought Bates did a solid job year 1 before Gase ruined everything).

Well we finally seem to have a real deal coaching staff in place (we did it Joe!), but I’d like to hear some takes on why Saleh, and more specifically LaFleur are gonna be able to coach Wilson up to be a superstar. The arm talent is there, the cockiness/attitude is there... but will the Jets be able to buck the trend and take him to the next level?

I’m probably just scarred from years of ineptitude and I have all the confidence in the world in Saleh, but is there any valid concern that a defensive coach like him won’t be able to make Wilson great?

Most QBs are these days molded by the OC and QB coach. The thing we all have to be patient on is not switching this system since that can even throw a monkey wrench into the smartest of QBs development. So long as there is progression even if it is slow lets let this system stay in place the next 3+ years and be patient. That will give Wilson his best chance to become the best he can be and even if that is not superstardom in that time this team with top amounts of draft picks and $ over that time will/should have a really good team around him that can enable him to succeed over time. I believe that is kinda what Saleh meant in his 1st conversation with Wilson on the draft line phone when he said we will lift you up, and actions spoke louder then words where Jets not only took the next 3 draft picks on O after that, but every one of those players taken were considered by some of the experts as the best at their positions in college. Tucker is considered by all as the best G. Moore was considered by many as the best WR. And, Carter was a RB that a lot of draft experts considered not only a 2nd rounder, but that he had many skills making him better than all other RBs drafted in 2021. He mainly dropped due to his size as that always causes skill position players at RB/WR/TE to drop in the draft. 

I watched a lot of 49ers games because my husband is a 49er fan. Saleh dwarfed shanahan on the field in terms of personality. The camera was always on him. I’ve coveted him for a while, I kept telling my husband that I wanted him as our coach for years

And I manifested it lol

Yes it was me.

We got a real one with saleh, and we will be running a true WCO

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2021 at 2:15 PM, wediditjoe said:

but is there any valid concern that a defensive coach like him won’t be able to make Wilson great?

Don Shula, D coach, Marino

Jim Mora, D coach, P Manning

Belichick, D coach, Brady

I gave up.  You get the point, HCs hardly work with QBs to the degree that theyre sitting with the every day developing their QBs

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Don Shula, D coach, Marino

Jim Mora, D coach, P Manning

Belichick, D coach, Brady

I gave up.  You get the point, HCs hardly work with QBs to the degree that theyre sitting with the every day developing their QBs

Mike tomlin d coach, Ben R

• Sympathy 1

On 5/2/2021 at 2:15 PM, wediditjoe said:

Hello Jet Nation - new poster here, long time reader. Let me just preface this by saying it’s an absolutely great ****in time to be a Jets fan.

Something I’ve been thinking about lately, and I haven’t seen it discussed anywhere - is our new coaching staff’s ability to develop a QB. We’ve obviously failed miserably at doing this for the past decade plus - Rex with Sanchez/Geno, Bowles with Darnold (although I thought Bates did a solid job year 1 before Gase ruined everything).

Well we finally seem to have a real deal coaching staff in place (we did it Joe!), but I’d like to hear some takes on why Saleh, and more specifically LaFleur are gonna be able to coach Wilson up to be a superstar. The arm talent is there, the cockiness/attitude is there... but will the Jets be able to buck the trend and take him to the next level?

I’m probably just scarred from years of ineptitude and I have all the confidence in the world in Saleh, but is there any valid concern that a defensive coach like him won’t be able to make Wilson great?

its quite simple... its the QB not the coaches..

was it Tom Brady or Bill Belicheck? well if it was Bill he has no idea about Cam. i guess we all better be worried about Mac Jones being the next GOAT.

was it Charlie Weiss? well he was here from 97-99 and O Donnell and Ray Lucas didnt turn into stars..

i could go on and on but you get the idea.

its the player and the team. 

i think we put enough weapons around Wilson for him to have a good year. as long as he is a good player.