Betty's Updated 2022 Offseason

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

The point is, this is possibly the best FA WR year in a very long time. Not all of them will be resigned. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

Oh, agreed. :) I was just confused by your example.

Either way, FA will dictate direction of the draft. If we pick up a #1 WR in FA, don't need to draft one. If we don't, I'm still hoping we can get one of the better prospects in the first rnd of the draft (whether that's at 7 or via trade down down to mid / end of the first round).

On 1/6/2022 at 10:38 AM, BettyBoop said:
  • Despite being suddenly overlooked on this site, Thibs, Hutchinson and Karlaftis are all studs and Douglas will likely jump at any of them at #4.  My guess is it's Karlaftis.
  • There's a good chance JD will find a trading partner with his other first rounder and will move back to the teens while picking up a second rounder this year.  Ekwondu just makes too much sense here if he's available.  He provides backup and is a future starter at RG or is a backup/future starter for Becton at LT.
  • In the second round (assuming he trades back) will likely be a LB such as Brandon Smith or Christian Harris, a WR such as David Bell, Jahan Dotson or Jalen Tolbert and a TE, such as Isaiah Likely or Trey McBride, or a Safety such as Jordan Battle.

Zero desire for an OL in the first round for the third year in a row, unless they’ve decided to give up on Becton. And even then I don’t really want it. At some point, it’s just not good business. WR and S/MLB are the premium positions of need that I’d be hoping to target with the second first rounder. It could wind up being a BAP type pick, though, especially if he can’t find a trading partner. I think if he trades, it’ll be to get another extra first in 2023. 

Second round is when I’d start looking at TEs, but I’m hoping he finds a starter in free agency, first. Jets need two starting caliber TEs instead of zero. On offense, weapons should now be the priority over OL. The team just needs to look at who’ll they’ll be trotting out there on Sunday to see where the cupboard is barest. 

They need serious help at Safety, but I hate spending too heavily on a low value position. It’ll be interesting to see what they do there. 

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Sounds like we'll be looking at David Njoku and a pass rusher in free agency.  I was hoping for Danielle Hunter but put Fowler in my mock because he played for Saleh (JAX) and Ulbrich (ATL), but either way... pairing one of those guys with a healthy Carl Lawson would go a long way to shoring up the pass rush, and would make your pass rusher at #4 a rotational piece at best.  

Also, adding Witherspoon, who played under Saleh (SF), who has quietly turned into a quality #2 leading the Steelers with 9 PDs and 3 INTs... We can then add speed at LB, a blue-chip safety prospect, and a situational PR all in the second round, and have a truly reformed defense without spending the #4 pick on the third best pass-rusher. 

I should edit my mock in this thread to reflect changes I've made in the Draft Forum since posting in here. 

4. Ikem Ekwonu, RG this year, LT/RT next year
17. Treylon Burks, WR1
35. Daxton Hill, S
38. Cameron Thomas, Edge
49. Christian Harris, LB
69. Trey McBride, TE
108. Coby Bryant, CB
115. Breece Hall, RB
135. Tyler Vrabel, OT

That would be a very strong draft.  I really like Cameron Thomas if we don't take an Edge in round one.

• Upvote 1