Betty's Updated 2022 Offseason

My preference is Edge/LB, WR, then BPA for OL, RB and everything else.

I'm not so sure about Engram.  OK if he comes cheap, which I doubt. Certainly draft one has high as necessary to get a good one (the later second round pick?)

I'm not so sure we need safeties. We went through, what, eight of them this season? Drafted two last year? We lost one starter right away to injury, then the other mid season. Some of the subs have not played poorly - so I'd go with the same crew, and maybe add a late pick or FA. But we have other needs; let the ones we had this year (and who are familiar with the scheme) fight it out in the coming year for roster spots. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Priorities, in Order, for both FA and the Draft, in my view:

1. Legitimate WR #1 

2. Center and O-line Depth

3. Edge (2x)

4. Veteran Backup QB to compete with/drive Wilson

5. Tight End

6. Defensive Backs (multiple).

7. Linebackers (multiple).

IMO it's too early to start naming names, but as a general plan this is mine.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I know but any other round.  We are cursed with 2nd round WRs.  Maybe Moore finally broke it but odds are still against us.

Moore has broken that trend.  Truth is ALL of our second round picks have been terrible but I think that's changing.

• Upvote 1

im not trading back to just pick up an extra 2nd rd pick. so we move back from taking an elite WR at 9 to whatever just to get an extra 2nd . we have enough of those picks in the later rounds to find nice players. we need elite players and need to stay where we are in the 1st rd.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I think he'll take a one-year prove-it deal with the Jets.

If he’s looking to sign a one-year prove it deal… You might as well try to sign with a defense that’s actually good. That improves your chances of not being viewed as a poor safety. Even if he has a good year, it will be hard to stand out on a poor Jets team.No matter what you’ll get some of the blame when teams pass for 400 yards a game

23 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

this board in general needs to stop with these "curses"

Yes.

23 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

You guys do realize its all random chance right?

No.  Nothing "random" about it.  

Poor talent evaluation leads to poor picks leads to bust players.  Not randomness.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

7 minutes ago, doitny said:

im not trading back to just pick up an extra 2nd rd pick. so we move back from taking an elite WR at 9 to whatever just to get an extra 2nd . we have enough of those picks in the later rounds to find nice players. we need elite players and need to stay where we are in the 1st rd.

I just don't think you need a #9 pick to get a stud WR.  There are plenty of examples of great WR taken later in round 1 or even in later rounds.  It's about having a GM who can find talent.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

If he’s looking to sign a one-year prove it deal… You might as well try to sign with a defense that’s actually good. That improves your chances of not being viewed as a poor safety. Even if he has a good year, it will be hard to stand out on a poor Jets team.No matter what you’ll get some of the blame when teams pass for 400 yards a game

Maye is a damn good safety.  NFL evaluators will tell you that.  The reason Douglas won't get real value for him is his DUI incident.  

If you go by your "it will be hard to stand out on a poor Jets team" then why sign anyone?  The point is Maye can make this team better than a fifth round pick you could get for him.

1 minute ago, BettyBoop said:

Maye is a damn good safety.  NFL evaluators will tell you that.  The reason Douglas won't get real value for him is his DUI incident.  

If you go by your "it will be hard to stand out on a poor Jets team" then why sign anyone?  The point is Maye can make this team better than a fifth round pick you could get for him.

He is a FA. We will not be receiving a draft pick from anyone unless we FT him or sign him to a new contract. Why do you continue to say JD “won’t get real value for him for his DUI incident”

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

He is a FA. We will not be receiving a draft pick from anyone unless we FT him or sign him to a new contract. Why do you continue to say JD “won’t get real value for him for his DUI incident”

Fair point Booze.  I keep forgetting he's a FA.  However, if not for his DUI, he could have been tagged and traded but no one will pay that kind of money given his situation.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

It's about having a GM who can find talent.

This. Retired Thompson, Ozzie, and currently Lynch, Loomis & Ballard to name a few. Heck…. Even Jerry Jones has been hitting on studs!! I wish Ozzie would sign on as a consultant for us and just watch film 20 hours/week and advise JD

• Upvote 2

While it would be nice to add a Robinson or Adam's, I think Chark is a much more realistic target. Has the size and speed. Just needs to stay healthy. Tough to invest money on a player with that track record but his skill set meshes nicely with what we have. 

If not I'd like to target Burks in your trade down scenario. 

"The Doctor" is a FA.  Hopefully he gets resigned along with Berrios and Moses... although if Moses is looking for RT starter money, he'll probably walk.

Top needs right now are playmakers- on offense and on defense.   That's why I'd go edge/WR in RD 1.  In RD 2 3 & 4 I'd look at the 'lower value' positions where we need help -  OG, TE, LB. and S depending on what we end up with in FA

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Priorities, in Order, for both FA and the Draft, in my view:

1. Legitimate WR #1 

2. Center and O-line Depth

3. Edge (2x)

4. Veteran Backup QB to compete with/drive Wilson

5. Tight End

6. Defensive Backs (multiple).

7. Linebackers (multiple).

IMO it's too early to start naming names, but as a general plan this is mine.

Mostly agree with this - especially WR.    

If they can get anything out of Becton next year then the OL is actually in decent shape.   Once GVR went to the bench the entire OL has been better and that's with playing Edoga and Feeney at times.   

Would love to see Douglas maneuver to get Jameson Williams and Nakobe Dean in the first rd. while adding an additional pick in '22 or '23.   I don't know that those 2 are worth top 10 picks so maybe he can move down a little and still pick them up.    

1 minute ago, LionelRichie said:

Mostly agree with this - especially WR.    

If they can get anything out of Becton next year then the OL is actually in decent shape.   Once GVR went to the bench the entire OL has been better and that's with playing Edoga and Feeney at times.   

Would love to see Douglas maneuver to get Jameson Williams and Nakobe Dean in the first rd. while adding an additional pick in '22 or '23.   I don't know that those 2 are worth top 10 picks so maybe he can move down a little and still pick them up.    

and GVR.

I don’t think Fant can play RT well in this offense.   He does well at LT because it is mostly pass blocking. 

I agree that Karlaftis’ profile says to me someone who is a good NFL player but not necessarily a great one.  He will go late first/early second round.

The likely BPA with the Jets picks are OL and WR, which we always need.  I think we get a great WR that fits in this system lower in the first round, so if we can get another second to trade down that would be good. 

Just looking at 2022, I think the season will go much smoother if either or both of Moses and Dr. LDT are retained.   Compared to a team like the Bucs, they will have more invested in their OL, but we are not paying Zach yet.   I think in the long term we are already off of Becton being a long-term member of the team, and we should be enjoying his company during his 5 year contract and moving on.  That gives us 3 more years, and if 1 or more of those years are at RT, that is not a bad thing. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Despite only having two more wins in 2021 there is a different blueprint for this offseason.  Several key pieces have been solidified this year and that changes the calculous significantly.  Douglas had a roster changing draft in 2021 and he needs to duplicate that in 2022.  Here's what changed.

• The QB of the future is on this team.  Zach has improved week-by-week and he will lead this team into the future.
  • The OL has become respectable with the additions of AVT and The Doctor.  
  • The WR room has been improved with the addition of Moore and one or two more pieces are needed.
  • The corners are in place.  
  • Michael Carter I was a real find in round 4 and one more RB is needed to compliment him.

Free agency is shaping up to fill the following.

• A center is needed to let McGovern and The Doctor right it out at RG.  Bozeman is a real target.  If he's signed, Douglas can go into 2022 with a line of Becton, AVT, Bozeman, McGovern/The Doctor, and Fant.  Not a bad OL.
  • A solid WR is needed and there are plenty available in free agency.  It won't be an Allen Robinson type but a second-tier guy is likely.  DJ Clark, if he passes the medical check, is a guy to keep an eye on.
  • Jarrod Davis was a wasted signing and he needs to be replaced.  Hassan Reddick would be a perfect fit.
  • TE is a position that needs a complete overhaul.  I don't think Douglas will overspend here and will look to sign guys like Evan Engram or Hayden Hurst.
  • Safeties are needed!  Riley is a quality backup but shouldn't be starting.  Again, I don't think Douglas will overspend here.  Justin Simmons from the Broncos?  Given his unknown availability, I don't think Douglas will get fair value for Marcus Maye and he will be on the team in 2022.

Draft

• Despite being suddenly overlooked on this site, Thibs, Hutchinson and Karlaftis are all studs and Douglas will likely jump at any of them at #4.  My guess is it's Karlaftis.
  • There's a good chance JD will find a trading partner with his other first rounder and will move back to the teens while picking up a second rounder this year.  Ekwondu just makes too much sense here if he's available.  He provides backup and is a future starter at RG or is a backup/future starter for Becton at LT.
  • In the second round (assuming he trades back) will likely be a LB such as Brandon Smith or Christian Harris, a WR such as David Bell, Jahan Dotson or Jalen Tolbert and a TE, such as Isaiah Likely or Trey McBride, or a Safety such as Jordan Battle.
  • The remaining rounds should net a RB like Hassan Haskins or Breese Hall, another TE, OL (I love Darrien Kinnard), WR (does Douglas take a chance on John Metchie with a third round pick?) and LB.

A wildcard in all this is if Saleh is drooling over a guy like Kyle Hamilton to fit the role that he had in mind for Nasrildeen and Sherwood.  Could happen.

One question is if we trade down with our 2nd number 1 to gain say at least another number 2, if the right blue chip playmaker at either a big WR or TE falls into the lower slots of the 1st round, should JD trade 2 out of his 3 2nd rounders to get back up into the lower part i.e 15-23 range to get that player. If that occurs Jets should going by their philosophy get the Dline Edge and OL players as well as a serious blue chip pass catcher with the 1st 3 picks all being in the 1st round. Then they still would have a 2nd, 3rd, 2 4ths and 2 5ths to get another Olineman, WR/TE, LB, S, CB, and RB. Heck, that would build the entire team for some starting jobs and lot of depth and players maybe becoming starter later. This along with FA, Jets with Zack playing smart like he is now and the running game working the way it is would have to be a lot better next year or it would be a complete shock.

3 hours ago, Bungaman said:

My preference is Edge/LB, WR, then BPA for OL, RB and everything else.

I'm not so sure about Engram.  OK if he comes cheap, which I doubt. Certainly draft one has high as necessary to get a good one (the later second round pick?)

I'm not so sure we need safeties. We went through, what, eight of them this season? Drafted two last year? We lost one starter right away to injury, then the other mid season. Some of the subs have not played poorly - so I'd go with the same crew, and maybe add a late pick or FA. But we have other needs; let the ones we had this year (and who are familiar with the scheme) fight it out in the coming year for roster spots. 

One or both of last years initial starters at S should be back as well. Like you said, maybe later in the draft or even an UDFA after the draft. I really hope they do not pick S Hamilton with either 1st round pick. If that occurs you are basically giving back the trade we made for Adams for another player that while may be dominant, is not playing a position that dominants the games. Everyone always says yea bit Ed Reed, Ronnie Lott, etc. all these players a S, but they were on such awesome defenses they were as much a product of that as well as their won ability. Especially when this team needs more help on D at Edge, LB, and CB, which are positions that will certainly make this D be better if they are addressed instead of a highly drafted S.  

• Upvote 1

Poor talent evaluation leads to poor picks leads to bust players.  Not randomness.

I meant random chance that it just so happens that we have had 2nd round bad luck. until now. I understand the jets have done a poor job of talent evaluation, but there is no team that is above choosing a bust. Thats very random. I doubt you are pushing the narrative that a team that does a fantastic evaluation guarantees them a player that doesnt bust....

Its like the guys that are afraid of drafting ohio St players. Guess what? There have been Ohio state stars in the NFL and there will be more in the future so it makes zero sense to reject Prospect Joe from OSU just because weve had some bad luck

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

One or both of last years initial starters at S should be back as well. Like you said, maybe later in the draft or even an UDFA after the draft. I really hope they do not pick S Hamilton with either 1st round pick. If that occurs you are basically giving back the trade we made for Adams for another player that while may be dominant, is not playing a position that dominants the games. Everyone always says yea bit Ed Reed, Ronnie Lott, etc. all these players a S, but they were on such awesome defenses they were as much a product of that as well as their won ability. Especially when this team needs more help on D at Edge, LB, and CB, which are positions that will certainly make this D be better if they are addressed instead of a highly drafted S.  

1. Please be a typo

2. I tend to like defenses that think the way you think, but I don't think these guys see it that way.  I think they pick a certain type of corner. They train them up and run a scheme that protects them.  A scheme that makes people think Bryce Hall is Willie Brown.  They need EDGE because they need pass rush.  Totally on board with that.  They also do not prioritize LB.  Did you notice that they drafted 2 safeties to play LB?  Having a top S that can be moved up in the box as LB or play some CB would really help them scheme.   I am no expert, but if Hamilton is such a great prospect, I don't think these guys pass on him based on positional value.  Particularly for a guy like Stingley who people claim hasn't been that good in over a year.  Then again, I've read profiles on Stingley that make him seem like an incredible prospect and he does support the run, so maybe they will like him. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

1. Please be a typo

2. I tend to like defenses that think the way you think, but I don't think these guys see it that way.  I think they pick a certain type of corner. They train them up and run a scheme that protects them.  A scheme that makes people think Bryce Hall is Willie Brown.  They need EDGE because they need pass rush.  Totally on board with that.  They also do not prioritize LB.  Did you notice that they drafted 2 safeties to play LB?  Having a top S that can be moved up in the box as LB or play some CB would really help them scheme.   I am no expert, but if Hamilton is such a great prospect, I don't think these guys pass on him based on positional value.  Particularly for a guy like Stingley who people claim hasn't been that good in over a year.  Then again, I've read profiles on Stingley that make him seem like an incredible prospect and he does support the run, so maybe they will like him. 

Irrespective of whether they prioritize linebacker, the track record of this defense functioning has largely been a matter of having Wagner/Warner or not. We're certainly seeing that.

No problem with Hamilton. Single high is a premium position in terms of impact if not replacement cost, and it's better to be top heavy there than at end because it's one guy getting all the snaps barring injury and not 4-5 rotating per game.

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

1. Please be a typo

If we draft a safety in the top ten I am going to write the Jets a very angry email. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yep.  People keep comparing the draft to a game of craps to make themselves feel better about all the terrible GM's this team has employed.  The draft is poker, not craps. 

Luck is involved in poker just as it is the draft.  But there's a reason some of the same people keep ending up at the "final table" year after year.  Ozzie Newsome comes to mind.  Brandon Beane of the Bills, a current GM, is another that comes to mind.  And meanwhile, the Jets haven't made the playoffs in over a decade for a reason:  Our talent evaluators have been horrid in that span.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I don’t think Fant can play RT well in this offense.   He does well at LT because it is mostly pass blocking. 

I agree that Karlaftis’ profile says to me someone who is a good NFL player but not necessarily a great one.  He will go late first/early second round.

The likely BPA with the Jets picks are OL and WR, which we always need.  I think we get a great WR that fits in this system lower in the first round, so if we can get another second to trade down that would be good. 

Just looking at 2022, I think the season will go much smoother if either or both of Moses and Dr. LDT are retained.   Compared to a team like the Bucs, they will have more invested in their OL, but we are not paying Zach yet.   I think in the long term we are already off of Becton being a long-term member of the team, and we should be enjoying his company during his 5 year contract and moving on.  That gives us 3 more years, and if 1 or more of those years are at RT, that is not a bad thing. 

Like you said, at this point the smart decision would be leave Fant at LT, move Becton to RT, and draft an OT in the 1st few rounds in case we have to move on from Becton after some time. His size can help the run game on the right side. With that arrangement I would think you would not pay Moses who is now north of 30, but it is their choice if they want to keep him since he has done pretty well on the right side. It is easy to worry that if all 3 play well one has to be the swing tackle, but after those 3 the depth has a rather large drop off, which is why we need to still draft at T. 

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Despite only having two more wins in 2021 there is a different blueprint for this offseason.  Several key pieces have been solidified this year and that changes the calculous significantly.  Douglas had a roster changing draft in 2021 and he needs to duplicate that in 2022.  Here's what changed.

• The QB of the future is on this team.  Zach has improved week-by-week and he will lead this team into the future.
  • The OL has become respectable with the additions of AVT and The Doctor.  
  • The WR room has been improved with the addition of Moore and one or two more pieces are needed.
  • The corners are in place.  
  • Michael Carter I was a real find in round 4 and one more RB is needed to compliment him.

Free agency is shaping up to fill the following.

• A center is needed to let McGovern and The Doctor right it out at RG.  Bozeman is a real target.  If he's signed, Douglas can go into 2022 with a line of Becton, AVT, Bozeman, McGovern/The Doctor, and Fant.  Not a bad OL.
  • A solid WR is needed and there are plenty available in free agency.  It won't be an Allen Robinson type but a second-tier guy is likely.  DJ Clark, if he passes the medical check, is a guy to keep an eye on.
  • Jarrod Davis was a wasted signing and he needs to be replaced.  Hassan Reddick would be a perfect fit.
  • TE is a position that needs a complete overhaul.  I don't think Douglas will overspend here and will look to sign guys like Evan Engram or Hayden Hurst.
  • Safeties are needed!  Riley is a quality backup but shouldn't be starting.  Again, I don't think Douglas will overspend here.  Justin Simmons from the Broncos?  Given his unknown availability, I don't think Douglas will get fair value for Marcus Maye and he will be on the team in 2022.

Draft

• Despite being suddenly overlooked on this site, Thibs, Hutchinson and Karlaftis are all studs and Douglas will likely jump at any of them at #4.  My guess is it's Karlaftis.
  • There's a good chance JD will find a trading partner with his other first rounder and will move back to the teens while picking up a second rounder this year.  Ekwondu just makes too much sense here if he's available.  He provides backup and is a future starter at RG or is a backup/future starter for Becton at LT.
  • In the second round (assuming he trades back) will likely be a LB such as Brandon Smith or Christian Harris, a WR such as David Bell, Jahan Dotson or Jalen Tolbert and a TE, such as Isaiah Likely or Trey McBride, or a Safety such as Jordan Battle.
  • The remaining rounds should net a RB like Hassan Haskins or Breese Hall, another TE, OL (I love Darrien Kinnard), WR (does Douglas take a chance on John Metchie with a third round pick?) and LB.

A wildcard in all this is if Saleh is drooling over a guy like Kyle Hamilton to fit the role that he had in mind for Nasrildeen and Sherwood.  Could happen.

I'd throw out James Daniels as an OL target. Young, zone experience, experience at multiple positions. He's a potential fill in RG who could replace McGovern.

Depth at WR is a problem but I could see them letting that run into the draft if they re-sign Berrios.

Reddick I don't think has the coverage skill set they're looking for at linebacker.

Agree I don't expect Douglas to overspend at TE or S but both are big needs. Njoku maybe as a tight end. I could see Douglas bringing back Joyner. Definitely think TE can be addressed pretty seriously in the draft - safety is harder to get a read on.

I think come draft day Ojabo is the third edge, not Karlaftis. I also think Karlaftis is a square peg round hole in this scheme unless they want to groom him to play the JFM role and kick JFM inside eventually. I'd lean they want a guy who can rotate in behind Lawson, play DE across from him with JFM kicking in on passing downs, and take over after Lawson's contract expires. Plus Lawson has health questions. So I lean smaller edge. If they do want to go with a bigger guy Travon Walker and DeMarvin Leal are names to watch out for.

I don't think it fits with this draft class and heads would explode but Douglas values the front, Saleh values the front, Fatukasi is one of not many starters who's a free agent, and San Francisco drafted DT's like crazy. It's the need none of us want to acknowledge. I hope they don't do it but aside from that and this draft class it ticks every other box as something they'd do. Think we all should brace ourselves.

Would love the trade down if it's possible and do think it's on the table with one of the picks although it'll be a hard draft to trade down in. Don't think Ekwonu will be available. Also don't think they take a day one backup offensive lineman. I think a backup swing tackle day two makes more sense. I think a wide receiver (Treylon Burks, Jameson Williams if he falls, Garrett Wilson if he tests better than I expect) or a linebacker (Nakobe Dean, Devin Lloyd) could play a bigger day one role while also fitting a longer term need.

Largely agree with the second round/third round idea. Chad Muma is an interesting LB if they wait till the third. Jalen Pitre at safety.

Don't think Haskins or Hall really fit the scheme. Would like double dip at TE and/or edge in this class. I think day three if they add an iOL in FA you see them add a developmental center or guard. Dylan Parham as an athletic guy seems like a really interesting zone fit.

If they take Hamilton I think it's almost certainly to play at safety. You can play around with safeties moving to linebacker in the fifth, sixth round - that's not something I think you goof off with in the top ten. If they want a linebacker early - I still think they'd rather address it later given they're okay sacrificing size for speed- someone like Dean is excellent. Plus the reason Sherwood and Nasirildeen were appealing for the move is because they fell because they were slow for safeties. Was just an attempt to make a play on cheap linebackers - the 49ers didn't invest much in their LB crew besides Warner.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1