Nakobe Dean comp

AFJF

4 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Pro bowl linebacker Denzel Perryman who is also 5’11 says it might matter in the bedroom your size, but not on the football field .   

I'm glad he blew up an off balance rookie lineman. Moving on to things more relevant; it's hard to cover a TE who is half a foot taller than yourself. In the current scheme the LBers needs to be able to cover. Also, the guy you listed is an outlier. LBers at 5'11 aren't the norm for a reason. I'm not saying he can't succeed, but at 5'11" he'll have a lot more to overcome at the next level, and not every player does. 

The natural comparison is Roquan Smith.  Same college team, same system, and Smith also played behind a very high quality D-line.  He's slightly bigger than Dean, but had that same, great sideline-to-sideline blazing speed and quickness.

Smith has had to add some bulk in the NFL; watched him a lot in the first year or two, felt like he wasn't quite there yet.  However, he's rounding into a near-pro bowl player, and probably will be a pro bowler in a year or two.  Part of the benefit of high motor/high character guys.  They keep working to reach their full potential, even with a bulging bank account.

I give Dean the edge on coverage and field vision, but just barely.  Has the same type of motor, and should be as good a pro as Smith.

7 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Really short arms? I disagree. His arm length isn't elite, but it's fine. The primary complaint with arm length is block shedding and more minorly coverage, which he doesn't have a problem with in my opinion.

Comparisons:

Nakobe Dean: 31 7/8 inch arms

Fred Warner: 32 inch arms

Luke Kuechly: 31 inch arms

Roquan Smith: 32 inch arms

Warner, Kuechly and Smith are all bigger and stronger than Dean this comparison is kinda weak to me. All of those you mentioned win in the run game beacause of their play rec and pure strength. 

I like Dean but his transition to NFL is not going to be that easy.

8 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Warner, Kuechly and Smith are all bigger and stronger than Dean this comparison is kinda weak to me. All of those you mentioned win in the run game beacause of their play rec and pure strength. 

I like Dean but his transition to NFL is not going to be that easy.

I wasn’t comparing the players other than their arm length. Saying he has really short arms isn’t technically true relative to others at his position. 

29 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

image.thumb.png.16c11d4fe3713c2dfe0f83b8f0350144.png

34% is short

50th percentile is average by definition and that number for ILB is 32.043 vs Dean’s 31.875 according to mockdraftable (your screengrab scource) If your definition of really short arms is a quarter inch below average I have no clue what to tell you. We just have different opinions on what “really short arms” means. 

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

Lloyd is the best LB in this draft. But in rd. 2, sure sign me up for Dean, or Harris. I like Muma and Troy Andersen too. 

Good list, but add Quay Walker as well.

The LB sweet spot in this Draft is in that early 2nd round area.  I'll probably be wrong but it just seems incredibly obvious that if the Jets stay at 35 and 38 one of those picks will be a LB.  It's almost a slam dunk.

Devin Lloyd, Nakobe Dean, Quay Walker, Christian Harris, Troy Anderson and Muma.  One of those guys will be a Jet IMO.  Saleh really wants to get his next Fred Warner.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Good list, but add Quay Walker as well.

The LB sweet spot in this Draft is in that early 2nd round area.  I'll probably be wrong but it just seems incredibly obvious that if the Jets stay at 35 and 38 one of those picks will be a LB.  It's almost a slam dunk.

Devin Lloyd, Nakobe Dean, Quay Walker, Christian Harris, Troy Anderson and Muma.  One of those guys will be a Jet IMO.  Saleh really wants to get his next Fred Warner.

Well, its interesting you said that. While I agree that is what they SHOULD do, and while that is what I would do...I also think there might be a good chance the Jets take a LB late. They seem to really like Quincy and have not gotten a chance to see what Sherwood or Nas can do due to injury. They have also been linked to guys like Luketa, Terrel Bernard and Tariq Carpenter. All expected to go late in the draft. Hopefully the Jets take one earlier but it could be we end up with another developmental prospect. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Well, its interesting you said that. While I agree that is what they SHOULD do, and while that is what I would do...I also think there might be a good chance the Jets take a LB late. They seem to really like Quincy and have not gotten a chance to see what Sherwood or Nas can do due to injury. They have also been linked to guys like Luketa, Terrel Bernard and Tariq Carpenter. All expected to go late in the draft. Hopefully the Jets take one earlier but it could be we end up with another developmental prospect. 

Certainly possible, and maybe that is the approach this year. As you said the Jets do not yet know a lot about the young middle/late round guys that they drafted last year. Maybe the focus this draft is the D line and guy or two for the secondary. Perhaps they wait on addressing the second level of the defense until later in the draft.

My only reservation about that approach is that this is a very good draft for linebackers, particularly in that second round.