Bears interested in QB Griese

faba

The Bears entertained Brian Griese over the weekend and are sending offensive coordinator Ron Turner to Florida to meet with the free-agent quarterback.

Griese spent his 31st birthday Saturday dining downtown with general manager Jerry Angelo and quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson, then spent Sunday at Halas Hall in what was described as a very positive meeting, leading multiple sources to suggest something could happen soon.

Turner had a previously scheduled family commitment and was not around, so he will meet with the former Tampa Bay Buccaneer today at Griese's home in Florida. If all goes well, the Bears could make their initial contract proposal.

''I don't think there is any question the Bears are an interesting situation,'' Ralph Cindrich, Griese's agent said. ''There is a large amount of interest on Brian's part. He'll [meet with Turner], and we'll see where things go from there.''

Griese arrived in Chicago after a visit to Cincinnati, where the Bengals might need a starter for at least the beginning of the season while Pro Bowl quarterback Carson Palmer recovers from the devastating knee injury he suffered in a playoff loss to Pittsburgh. The Bengals need to replace Jon Kitna, who left for Detroit, and the free-agent quarterback market is beginning to shrink with the Bears' top target, Josh McCown, also signing with the Lions.

''We're having a tough time getting people to come here and play because they know they're sitting behind Carson,'' Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said on the team's Web site.

Lewis maintains Palmer will be ready for the start of the season despite having surgery Jan. 10. There isn't any guaranteed playing time with the Bears, but Rex Grossman has made only seven career regular-season starts and the team seems willing to insert someone at No. 2 ahead of Kyle Orton. The Bears' highly ranked defense also makes it an intriguing destination.

"At this point, you have to sit back and analyze everything,'' Cindrich said. "But I don't think there is any question Chicago is an attractive spot right now.''

The Bucs released Griese on March 10 to avoid paying him a $2.6 million roster bonus that would have given him a salary-cap figure of $7.083 million for 2006. There has been talk of Tampa re-signing Griese, and Cindrich indicated relations with the Bucs remain strong.

Griese still is rehabilitating his left knee after tearing the ACL and MCL on Oct. 16 against Miami, but he is expected to be fully cleared by training camp. The Bears gave him a physical.

Should the Bears land Griese, they finally would have the kind of bona fide quality backup Angelo has been talking about adding for years. They were in the running for Griese three years ago but decided they couldn't wait for the Denver Broncos to release him after June 1 to make a run at him, so they signed Kordell Stewart in March. Griese has made 72 career starts and led the Bucs to a 5-1 start last season before being injured. If the Bears don't get Griese, they could try to sign Jeff Blake.

Actually would be a decent pickup for Chicago. Grossman was drafted in 2003 (actually was one of the DRob picks) & has been able to start- and finish - like 5 or 6 games in his career.

Agreed. Grossman, Griese and Orton make a nice trio of qb's, and Griese could also push Rex, IF Lovie opens up the #1 spot to competition.

Griese isn't good; but considering the bunch of loosers that have been QB'ing for the bears in recent years, he's a good signing. He'll give them a chance at keeping their heads above water if the starter goes down for the count. But in the end, the Bears has got to be about the D-fence and running game. Like it always has been.

Now I am fully aware that Orton didn't light up the stat book but he put Ws in the column. I think he deserves just as fair a shake as anyone.

Watching Orton last year was painful and almost unBEARable(excuse the pun), but he was better than the collection of stiffs the Bears trotted out two seasons ago.

He was a rookie and I didn't expect much. He did what was asked of him, which was manage the clock, and not turn over the football.

Griese is getting grief, but he played very well last year, right up until he got hurt.

I like the move.

Archived