NBA Rumors: James Dolan Is “Likely” To Sell The Knicks And Rangers After Construction Of MSG Sphere Is Completed In Las Vegas

TBJ

image.thumb.png.81f1876bdfaf338dff14b69cd94bf261.png

Despite being the highest-valued team in the NBA, the New York Knicks have long been seen as a disorganized mess. With no championships in the last 40 years, the team has suffered mightily from the poor decision-making and management of owner James Dolan.

Hard-core fans will recognize the name, as Dolan has long been criticized for his role in the team's dysfunction. But a new report from MSG analyst Jonathan Boyar says that Dolan could actually be close to selling the team.

“The enterprise value is about $4.7 billion. The Knicks were just valued at about $6 billion. So essentially, you're getting paid to own the Rangers/Knicks. Their sister company, MSG entertainment, is currently about to finish a project in Las Vegas called 'the sphere' and we think it’s likely that after that is done, James Dolan, who controls the company, will sell the teams...”

There have been many calls for Dolan's exile, but he hasn't done enough to warrant any kind of forced sell by the league. Still, his presence on the franchise alone has turned off many star players to the idea of joining the Knicks -- even LeBron James.

According to Oakley, James once told him that Dolan was the reason he'd never consider becoming a Knick.

"You would have thought I did something to his wife," Knicks legend Charles Oakley wrote. "Sh--, Latrell Sprewell, who played five seasons with the Knicks, cursed at Dolan in front of Dolan's wife when he returned to face the Knicks back in 2003, and they still became friends. I didn't do anything to this man. What did I ever say that was so bad that he would ignore me like that? I wondered. Man, I wanted to hit him in the head. I walked back to LeBron and said, 'This mother---er (Dolan) wouldn't shake my hand,'" Oakley continued. "All LeBron said was: 'This is why I'm never going to New York.'"

All-in-all, this is exactly what Knicks fans around the world have been praying for. If Dolan sells, it opens up the possibility for other big-name billionaires to take his place.

That might be all the franchise needs to get back on track and finally end this decades-long struggle.

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/nba-rumors-james-dolan-is-likely-to-sell-the-knicks-and-rangers-after-construction-of-msg-sphere-is-completed-in-las-vegas

15 hours ago, TBJ said:

Despite being the highest-valued team in the NBA, the New York Knicks have long been seen as a disorganized mess. With no championships in the last 40 years, the team has suffered mightily from the poor decision-making and management of owner James Dolan.

Hard-core fans will recognize the name, as Dolan has long been criticized for his role in the team's dysfunction. But a new report from MSG analyst Jonathan Boyar says that Dolan could actually be close to selling the team.

“The enterprise value is about $4.7 billion. The Knicks were just valued at about $6 billion. So essentially, you're getting paid to own the Rangers/Knicks. Their sister company, MSG entertainment, is currently about to finish a project in Las Vegas called 'the sphere' and we think it’s likely that after that is done, James Dolan, who controls the company, will sell the teams...”

There have been many calls for Dolan's exile, but he hasn't done enough to warrant any kind of forced sell by the league. Still, his presence on the franchise alone has turned off many star players to the idea of joining the Knicks -- even LeBron James.

According to Oakley, James once told him that Dolan was the reason he'd never consider becoming a Knick.

"You would have thought I did something to his wife," Knicks legend Charles Oakley wrote. "Sh--, Latrell Sprewell, who played five seasons with the Knicks, cursed at Dolan in front of Dolan's wife when he returned to face the Knicks back in 2003, and they still became friends. I didn't do anything to this man. What did I ever say that was so bad that he would ignore me like that? I wondered. Man, I wanted to hit him in the head. I walked back to LeBron and said, 'This mother---er (Dolan) wouldn't shake my hand,'" Oakley continued. "All LeBron said was: 'This is why I'm never going to New York.'"

All-in-all, this is exactly what Knicks fans around the world have been praying for. If Dolan sells, it opens up the possibility for other big-name billionaires to take his place.

That might be all the franchise needs to get back on track and finally end this decades-long struggle.

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/nba-rumors-james-dolan-is-likely-to-sell-the-knicks-and-rangers-after-construction-of-msg-sphere-is-completed-in-las-vegas

I've generally been very happy with the way the Rangers have been run so I don't like hearing this.  I don't really watch the NBA anymore (maybe if the Knicks were good) so I'm happy to make the trade-off of the Knicks being bad and the Rangers being good.  If Dolan sells, though, that could affect the Rangers in a negative way.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I've generally been very happy with the way the Rangers have been run so I don't like hearing this.  I don't really watch the NBA anymore (maybe if the Knicks were good) so I'm happy to make the trade-off of the Knicks being bad and the Rangers being good.  If Dolan sells, though, that could affect the Rangers in a negative way.

Dolan pretty much stays out of the Rangers operations, although he did decide to fire president, GM and coach the year before last.

Anyway, he's not selling either team.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/17/msg-squashes-rumored-james-dolan-knicks-sale/

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, TBJ said:

Dolan pretty much stays out of the Rangers operations, although he did decide to fire president, GM and coach the year before last.

Anyway, he's not selling either team.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/17/msg-squashes-rumored-james-dolan-knicks-sale/

Right - that's why I wrote "I've generally been very happy with the way the Rangers have been run".  Though I did read that teams have been interested in stealing Drury from the Rangers so maybe he felt he had to act.

As far as the NY Post article, I have no idea if Dolan is or isn't planning to sell but, either way, would it really benefit him to reveal his hand?  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Only if the Johnson Bros. buy them.?

• Haha 1

I don't think Dolan has been a good Rangers owner at all. He either left them alone while screwing up the Knicks or meddled and ****ed around. We missed the playoffs for 7 years because of him and overrated clown Glen Sather collecting thier human toys on ice. The salary cap was the best thing that happened to the Rangers even though I personally hate salary caps. People who make their way to billions I have no problem with, it's the silver spoon kids I tend to have an issue with. They're very old children. Looking at you Woody Johnson Part 4. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 8/17/2022 at 3:53 PM, TBJ said:

He’ll probably be selling at an All-Time high right now. Knicks, Rangers in playoffs with strong teams. Only NYC being an absolute lawless, homeless encampment with a commercial occupancy rate < 50%.