Question from a Fin Fan

finswin56

Hey guys

We're having a mock of our own over at Finheaven.com

I got the distinction of picking for the Jets. Tempted as I am to tank this one for you guys, I'm actually trying to do right by you. Here's an idea of what's happened so far.

01. Houston Texans

Reggie Bush, RB, USC

02. New Orleans Saints

D'Brickashaw Ferguson, LT, Virginia

03. Tennessee Titans

Matt Leinart, QB, USC

04. New York Jets

finswin56

Mario Williams, DE, NC St.

05. Green Bay Packers

A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio St.

06. San Francisco 49ers

Michael Huff, DB, Texas

07. Oakland Raiders

Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland

08. Buffalo Bills

Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon

09. Detroit Lions

Jimmy Williams, DB, Virginia Tech

10. Arizona Cardinals

Winston Justice, OT, USC

11. St. Louis Rams

Tye Hill, CB, Clemson

12.Cleveland Browns

Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Florida St.

13. Baltimore Ravens

Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa

14. Philadelphia Eagles

Chad Jackson, WR, Florida

15. Denver Broncos

Here's my reasoning behind Mario Williams:

The New York Jets select Mario Williams, DE, North Carolina State. If Leinart and Ferguson are both gone, Mario Williams is too good to pass up here with John Abraham's inevitable departure. Cutler will be very tempting, but the Jets are in prime position to pick another solid prospect in the 2nd or 3rd. Cutler would not be ready to start, and now they have Ramsey to battle with non-throwing Pennington (Sorry about that guys, but I think Pennington's shoulder is toast... at least for a year or two).

You may or may not agree with the choice of Mario, but what I really need is some insight in selecting you're newly acquired #29 pick and the next couple of rounds. I'm looking more at position needs rather than players, but I'll take advice on both equally.

We're all shocked that Cutler's still available this far, but there really aren't many pics that I think are shocking. There was some solid reasoning for almost all of them.

BTW, you won't find this draft on the main Finheaven site, it's happening in our VIP section, which has limited access.

Thanks

-Finswin56

Good job.

If you scroll to the top of this board, you'll see that we've run a mock of our own.

Most mocks I've seen vary from Williams, to Ferguson, Cutler, to Leinart.

according to your mock selections for Bears.... you have Blackmon.... Which position will he play for pro? CB or WR or remain unsure?

thank you.

Good job.

If you scroll to the top of this board, you'll see that we've run a mock of our own.

Most mocks I've seen vary from Williams, to Ferguson, Cutler, to Leinart.

Thanks. I did see those.

I'm thinking about Brodie Croyle in the 2nd.

The new pick has me torn between a couple of offensive linemen and a few DB's.

My linemen are:

Marcus McNeil OT Auburn

Nick Mangold C Ohio State

DB's:

Antonio Cromartie CB FSU

Jason Allen S/CB UT

I don't know that either of those DB's falls to 29, but if they do, they'd be very difficult to pass up. Super talent, that would only fall due to past injuries.

I don't know what you have to replace Mawae, but Mangold looks to be the real deal.

Thanks. I did see those.

I'm thinking about Brodie Croyle in the 2nd.

The new pick has me torn between a couple of offensive linemen and a few DB's.

My linemen are:

Marcus McNeil OT Auburn

Nick Mangold C Ohio State

DB's:

Antonio Cromartie CB FSU

Jason Allen S/CB UT

I don't know that either of those DB's falls to 29, but if they do, they'd be very difficult to pass up. Super talent, that would only fall due to past injuries.

I don't know what you have to replace Mawae, but Mangold looks to be the real deal.

Kendall may be our C for now... Katnik could be end up a C of the future...

In your mock, there is no Cutler taken so far, if he is still available at 29th then take him... ha ha.. that is a wishful dream... Mangold, Maroney or Carpenter is also good pick at 29th..

Kendall may be our C for now... Katnik could be end up a C of the future...

In your mock, there is no Cutler taken so far, if he is still available at 29th then take him... ha ha.. that is a wishful dream... Mangold, Maroney or Carpenter is also good pick at 29th..

LOL! at Cutler

No doubt, if he's there, Jay Cutler will be wearing a fake NY Jets jersey.

I don't know if Maroney holds that late either, as the guys on our board have been talking about a possible run at RB in the mid to late 1st round. You guys could use a speedy RB to go with Houston, though.

according to your mock selections for Bears.... you have Blackmon.... Which position will he play for pro? CB or WR or remain unsure?

thank you.

I think he'll play corner. At least, that's where I have him playing. It really depends on the team that drafts him. Given the success some have had, guys like Troy Brown, and to a lesser degree, Delthea O'Neal, Blackmon might be able to play both.

I'd rather him stick to one position and feast or famine

I love the Williams pick and your strategy seems right with what the Jets thinking should be. If I may drop a name it would be Manny Lawson DE/LB NC State. While Mario Williams may be the next Bruce Smith, Manny Lawson could very well be the next Derrick Thomas/Joey Porter type. I do not see him picked and if he is there at 29 it is a steal imo. Plus he would rejoin his teamate Williams. :)

LOL! at Cutler

No doubt, if he's there, Jay Cutler will be wearing a fake NY Jets jersey.

I don't know if Maroney holds that late either, as the guys on our board have been talking about a possible run at RB in the mid to late 1st round. You guys could use a speedy RB to go with Houston, though.

I dont know how will Scottenheimer and Mangini utilitize Houston but so far i am concerned, Houston is a best fit for 3rd down and short yard situation. Maroney may replace Martin after this season easily... It is smart to have Maroney under Scottenheimer and Mangini's wing to learn the pro offense system for a year while he bulks up few pounds on him..

Last time i heard, Colts like Maroney... umm... Just do your stuff and have a fun.

I think he'll play corner. At least, that's where I have him playing. It really depends on the team that drafts him. Given the success some have had, guys like Troy Brown, and to a lesser degree, Delthea O'Neal, Blackmon might be able to play both.

I'd rather him stick to one position and feast or famine

I really like him to replace barrett within 3 years... Either position, he needs some seasoning to develop, anyway.. He has outstanding hip fluid but he needs to understand how to read the offense.

I really like him to replace barrett within 3 years... Either position, he needs some seasoning to develop, anyway.. He has outstanding hip fluid but he needs to understand how to read the offense.

It really depends on the needs to the team that drafts him.

For a team like Chicago, I think he'd be a pretty good pick, as Vasher and Tillman are entrenched. Blackmon could be brought along more slowly, by playing him in the nickel of dime, instead of throwing him into the fire.

The Bears also have a good pass rush and can blitz from so many different parts of the field.

I think the Saints will trade the second pick to Tennesee so they can pick up and extra pick. Leinert will go to Tennessee where he is reunited with Norm Chow.

If Ferguson is still on the board then the Jets should take him. I think their Offensive Line is a more pressing need than the DL. I would even take another OL at 29. (Mangold ?)

The Jets offensive line was so bad last year it wasn't even funny. That is where I would start rebuilding.

If McNeil or Jean-Gilles is available at 29 you have to take them. I am fully in favor of going defense with #4 if that persons name happens to be Mario Williams. Anyone else is not worth the #4 on defense, including AJ Katzenmoyer (yes I know what his real name is, it's a joke).

However, seeing as how you went with defense witht he first pick you almost assuredly have to go offensive line with the next two. If McNeil is gone you take Gilles. If you take an OT with 29 take Spencer with 35. However, with the FO being high on Katnik, I don't think we see a center until maybe the 4th round, and therefore stay away from Mangold.

I love the Williams pick and your strategy seems right with what the Jets thinking should be. If I may drop a name it would be Manny Lawson DE/LB NC State. While Mario Williams may be the next Bruce Smith, Manny Lawson could very well be the next Derrick Thomas/Joey Porter type. I do not see him picked and if he is there at 29 it is a steal imo. Plus he would rejoin his teamate Williams. :)

Thanks for the prop's!

Lawson looks to be a beast. And that is why, he'll never make it to pick 29 ;)

Our guys are nuts over him. I'm sure he'll be drafted way before #20

I think the Saints will trade the second pick to Tennesee so they can pick up and extra pick. Leinert will go to Tennessee where he is reunited with Norm Chow.

I just don't see the Titans being duped into trading up one spot. Not unless they hire Rick Speilman.

If McNeil or Jean-Gilles is available at 29 you have to take them. I am fully in favor of going defense with #4 if that persons name happens to be Mario Williams. Anyone else is not worth the #4 on defense, including AJ Katzenmoyer (yes I know what his real name is, it's a joke).

However, seeing as how you went with defense witht he first pick you almost assuredly have to go offensive line with the next two. If McNeil is gone you take Gilles. If you take an OT with 29 take Spencer with 35. However, with the FO being high on Katnik, I don't think we see a center until maybe the 4th round, and therefore stay away from Mangold.

Thanks for the info. I really like Max-Jean also. I am somewhat concerned about his conditioning, but not enough to pass on him if I don't love the other options.

I didn't know about Katnik. If our draft lasts longer than the 3rd round, I may look at Mike Degory from UF.

Archived