Radio City Music Hall to host 2006 NFL Draft

Brenjetsfan

NEW YORK (March 22, 2006) -- The 71st NFL Draft on April 29-30 will be held for the first time at New York City's Radio City Music Hall, a world-renowned setting normally showcasing musicians, Santa Claus and the Rockettes, the NFL and Madison Square Garden announced.

Held in New York City since 1965, the NFL Draft will be televised nationally by ESPN, and -- for the first time -- NFL Network.

The NFL Draft begins at noon on Saturday, April 29 and is free to the public.

America's most popular entertainers and shows such as the beloved Radio City Christmas Spectacular have thrilled audiences at Radio City Music Hall since its doors opened in 1932.

"We are pleased to present the NFL Draft at the legendary Radio City Music Hall," said Frank Supovitz, the NFL's senior vice president of events. "We look forward to making this year's draft a memorable event -- both for the fans who enjoy attending and for the top college players who come to New York with their families."

"For more than 70 years, Radio City Music Hall has been the setting for many legendary performances and events, including a few from the world of sports," said Steve Mills, president and chief operating officer, MSG Sports and Jay Marciano, president, Radio City Entertainment. "We are pleased to showcase Radio City's Great Stage in yet another incarnation, as it welcomes the NFL Draft for the first time in its history."

Working in conjunction with NYC Big Events Inc. and its Draft Host Committee, the NFL will promote the Draft and its new theme, "The Dream Starts Here," on 300 street pole banners throughout midtown Manhattan, on a Times Square billboard and on 80 bus shelters. The banners feature images of Michael Strahan of the New York Giants and Jonathan Vilma of the New York Jets in addition to other NFL stars.

FOR those fans of JETNATION we will be attending the JETS party at the Hard Rock Cafe in NYC.

More info to follow...........:cheers:

Is it free to get in? I just heard it was free. If its free is it hard to get in like to you have to wait on a huge line?

Ok, here's the skinny:

Yes it's free to get in but the seating is limited, even with 800 extra seats.

You have to get there early, About 6:00 am in the morning. Yes, you will stand on line about 8:00 am. However, the reason you get there earlier is to get your ticket. You can get breakfast & return by 8:00 to stand on line.

Two years ago at MSG there was a riot because they gave the tickets away the night before - without informing the NFL & about 2,000 fans rioted - so get there early!

Regardless of where you sided in the Jets attempts to return to NY, his was a good move by the NFL.

By moving the Draft away from MSG, the Dolans take a negative hit in the media and wallet.

Bravo.

Miami?!!

The Dolans own Radio City Music Hall!

The NFL didn't take away anything...

You have to get there early, About 6:00 am in the morning. Yes, you will stand on line about 8:00 am. However, the reason you get there earlier is to get your ticket. You can get breakfast & return by 8:00 to stand on line.

Baum, where are you getting these times from? The only time I went to the draft I waited a very short time. It was the year before Bryan Thomas, like 2002 I think. I waited 15mins in line and when I left early there was noone waiting to get in. Anyone walking up simply went right in. You're not the only one who's told me it's not always like that, but do you really need to get there 6 hours before it begins? And what's the deal w/ breakfast? Does RCMH feed you? How do you realign your place in line after the biscuits? The only thing I plan on doing at 6AM is snoring. I also expect to get inside.

BTW, not that it makes any difference but the Dolans lease RCMH.

I'd love to be there one year. I wish they'd hold it in a different city each year so those of us that can't make it to NY can actually attend it at least once.

Probably because the prestige value of having it in venue like

Radio City Music Hall. Where else could you have a scenario that

when each first round draft pick us called the curtain opens and

there he is dancing in the middle of 20 Rockettes.

Couldn't do that in kansas city.

Regardless of where you sided in the Jets attempts to return to NY, his was a good move by the NFL.

By moving the Draft away from MSG, the Dolans take a negative hit in the media and wallet.

Bravo.

Unfortunatrely not. Radio City is also owned by MSG and the Dolans. Which is why I'm a little surprised Woody Johnson and Tagliabue went for this.

Baum, where are you getting these times from? The only time I went to the draft I waited a very short time. It was the year before Bryan Thomas, like 2002 I think. I waited 15mins in line and when I left early there was noone waiting to get in. Anyone walking up simply went right in. You're not the only one who's told me it's not always like that, but do you really need to get there 6 hours before it begins? And what's the deal w/ breakfast? Does RCMH feed you? How do you realign your place in line after the biscuits? The only thing I plan on doing at 6AM is snoring. I also expect to get inside.

BTW, not that it makes any difference but the Dolans lease RCMH.

• Yes, you do need to get there 6 hours prior. Space is limited & the later you arive, the less chance of getting in, especially these days & with a #4 pick, it will pack quickly.
  • Except for last year & 2000, I've been to every draft since 1995-when it used to take place in the Marriot Marque. In those days, only 500 were allowed in the main gallery, while 1,000 more were placed in 2 seperate meeting rooms to watch - on projection tv's!
  • No, they do not offer breakfast, unless you are lucky enough to win VIP tickets for the next year's draft. You get there early enough, you can leave for an hour & return to get on line - based on your ticket #.
  • They begin letting you in 1-1/2 hours prior to the draft.
  • Yes, the Dolans lease RCMH from Tishman-Speyer Properties through their RCM productions group for an estimated 99-years, beginning in 1997.

If you think you'll get in at 11:30 in the morning, with us at #4 - you stand a better chance of getting into the JETS party at Planet Hollywood, a few blocks down near Times Square!

• Yes, you do need to get there 6 hours prior. Space is limited & the later you arive, the less chance of getting in, especially these days & with a #4 pick, it will pack quickly.
  • Except for last year & 2000, I've been to every draft since 1995-when it used to take place in the Marriot Marque. In those days, only 500 were allowed in the main gallery, while 1,000 more were placed in 2 seperate meeting rooms to watch - on projection tv's!
  • No, they do not offer breakfast, unless you are lucky enough to win VIP tickets for the next year's draft. You get there early enough, you can leave for an hour & return to get on line - based on your ticket #.
  • They begin letting you in 1-1/2 hours prior to the draft.
  • Yes, the Dolans lease RCMH from Tishman-Speyer Properties through their RCM productions group for an estimated 99-years, beginning in 1997.

If you think you'll get in at 11:30 in the morning, with us at #4 - you stand a better chance of getting into the JETS party at Planet Hollywood, a few blocks down near Times Square!

Why is it necessary to get back in line after you have a ticket #? If I need to get up before the birds, the least they could do is send me home for a nap.

Archived