Yankees Offseason Thread

Barton

23 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Resigning Judge and brining in Rondon should make us the favorites in to win the division again. I still don’t know what their plan is for LF and 3b. Can’t see them giving Donaldson everyday ABs. Would much rather see Volpe and Peraza getting those ABs.

Also, I’d bring in Trevor Bauer to round out this rotation. Cole, Rondon, Sevy, Bauer, Cortes would make for a sick rotation. 

You blew away the division last season with Donaldson at 3rd base, he starts there and then you see what happens, if he regains his hitterish feeling, it's great, if not, there are Rookies woh you can give a look at , maybe even Cabrera who has very, very interesting Yankee stadium power.

On 12/21/2022 at 9:01 AM, VJphillyfan said:

The horrible lineup won 99 games and got to the ALCS with a not great starting rotation and no closer for 40-50% of the season. Our bigger issue than Benintendi is we have 0.0 offense at Catcher now that Gary is gone

The yankee teams that won it all in the 90’s and 2000’s had guys at Catcher who could hit.  Leyritz, Girardi, and of course Posada

I find this argument strange.  They won those 99 games with light hitting catchers.  More importantly, before injuries derailed the pitching staff, they were on a record pace with light hitting catchers, Joey Gallo and Donaldson playing every day.  It's nice to try to improved, but you guys keep talking like you are dealing with the '62 Mets.  I think they should be careful who they add.  Personalities are important too. 

2 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

Not sure I agree, they add a healthy DJ, who was on fire when he was injured, they add Perazza, who many think is better than IKF as a hitter and fielder, they add a full season of a healthy BAder who seems to love to hit in YAnkee STAdium and could be ready for a career season.

Why assume Hicks, Donaldson and Stanton can't play better, all have in their careers and Yankees have new Coaches on staff to assist them.

i truly believe, we are  totally different team last playoffs with a healthy Benetendi, Carpenter and DJ, really a different line up.

I still expect a trade where Gleyber and prospects are used ot bring in a BIG player, a very difference making hitter type.

Stanton  you have to hope is better, because he was awful and is signed for years and years.

Hicks is done, and will hopefully be moved, even if the Yanks eat some $$.    Donaldson is good defensively, and has been regressing for years offensively.   Let the kid play SS, and then Volpe (when ready) to take over at second base.

Gleyber I think gets moved for pitching prospects, I don't see Hal wanted to add on major payroll.

6 hours ago, chirorob said:

Stanton  you have to hope is better, because he was awful and is signed for years and years.

Hicks is done, and will hopefully be moved, even if the Yanks eat some $$.    Donaldson is good defensively, and has been regressing for years offensively.   Let the kid play SS, and then Volpe (when ready) to take over at second base.

Gleyber I think gets moved for pitching prospects, I don't see Hal wanted to add on major payroll.

Hicks is a five tool player, unfortunately he doesn’t have the smarts tool but he does have a contract and Yankees aren’t cutting him until late May or early June .

Donaldson , will probably hit better than you think in year 2 in the stadium , I expect a .235ish seasons with 20+ dingers but I could be wrong and he’s dumped in June also or maybe a contender will take  him because they have an injury and Yankees pay a portion of his salary.

Hal won’t add payroll but dumping veterans so you can sign or trade for somebody isn’t totally a dead issue.

9 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

YAnkees have Trevino & Higgy, two competent catchers, trevino got tired near the end, Higgy is a hitting under-achiever, he has more talent than he shows, sadly.

Yankees were very high on Rortveld when they traded for him , think he's a 20 HR type LH hitting catcher with good defense, too bad he had the meniscus surgery last spring, people think that's a joke but it often isn't and ruins your knee, don't think ZAch wilson was fully balanced and healthy after his meniscus surgery, either.

Wells and Breaux are hit first catchers though Breaux has a good arm and Wells supposedly has improved mightily as a receiver too.

Don't think Catcher will cause them to be non-competitive.

Trevino definitely wore down. I am not a huge fan of Higgy but if he saves those spring training home runs for the regular season this year I can change my mind.

And the kid, yeah bad break for him last year. He had a shot to get some playing time. Let's see how he does in camp.

1 hour ago, Leftylarry said:

Hicks is a five tool player, unfortunately he doesn’t have the smarts tool but he does have a contract and Yankees aren’t cutting him until late May or early June .

Donaldson , will probably hit better than you think in year 2 in the stadium , I expect a .235ish seasons with 20+ dingers but I could be wrong and he’s dumped in June also or maybe a contender will take  him because they have an injury and Yankees pay a portion of his salary.

Hal won’t add payroll but dumping veterans so you can sign or trade for somebody isn’t totally a dead issue.

The guy almost hit 40 HRs in 2019, those days are gone but damn if he bounced back to his 2021 #s everyone would love him:  .247 and 26 HRs with 72 RBIs in 457 at bats. Anything close to that would be amazing.

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

The guy almost hit 40 HRs in 2019, those days are gone but damn if he bounced back to his 2021 #s everyone would love him:  .247 and 26 HRs with 72 RBIs in 457 at bats. Anything close to that would be amazing.

It’s not impossible, the controversy and he was an expectant father last season, new to NY, Donaldson could rebound and have a Last hurrah!

• 2 weeks later...

Yankees were a .500 team in the 2nd half last year. Signing Rodon isn’t gonna make a difference. This team is gonna struggle again to score runs consistently. If they don’t vastly improve the lineup before opening day, then I’m done watching this team for a bit. Tired of cashman. 

7 hours ago, Barton said:

Yankees were a .500 team in the 2nd half last year. Signing Rodon isn’t gonna make a difference. This team is gonna struggle again to score runs consistently. If they don’t vastly improve the lineup before opening day, then I’m done watching this team for a bit. Tired of cashman. 

How can you know how good or bad yankees team will hit this coming season?

If DJ is 100% healthy that's huge right there, Stanton should hit better, Bader for a full season can be very good also.

Donaldson and Hicks cannot be any worse than last year, Peraza should hit more than IKF and IKF is better hitter than Marwin Gonzales.

3 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

How can you know how good or bad yankees team will hit this coming season?

If DJ is 100% healthy that's huge right there, Stanton should hit better, Bader for a full season can be very good also.

Donaldson and Hicks cannot be any worse than last year, Peraza should hit more than IKF and IKF is better hitter than Marwin Gonzales.

Lots of ifs there. 

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I just looked him up, I thought he was older. Baseball reference projects stats and their thoughts on 2023 for him are not good.

I mean he’s a cy young winning pitcher just sitting there for any team to get. He’s been exonerated from those accusations and ready to pitch this year. I’d def give him a look

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean he’s a cy young winning pitcher just sitting there for any team to get. He’s been exonerated from those accusations and ready to pitch this year. I’d def give him a look

Yeah it is a no for me. The domestic violence stuff he ended up not getting charged, and they said the one victim was misleading or something like that.

But he still seems like a bad dude with a history that isn't great on social media. Seems like a recipe for disaster to bring him into the NY market.