Unintentional Comedy in KC

Bugg

Does he EVER SHUT UP? And apparently no reporters are sharp enough nor hard-working enough to review his tenure here. Someone clue them in on how he plays vets pratically until their career obituaries.Just ask him about Testaverde, Martin, Lewis or Jones. It should refresh his recollection, but then again, he's close to braindead anyway.

SIdenote-not sure Mangini has said this much to the press, total, since the day he was hired.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14187538.htm

Into the fire

Chiefs’ Edwards won’t hesitate to throw young players into games

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

Carl Peterson won’t make any promises about specific players or positions the Chiefs might select in next month’s NFL draft.

But Peterson, the Chiefs’ president/general manager, does make this guarantee: New coach Herm Edwards will immediately play at least some of the guys he picks.

“You’ll see how it plays out,” Peterson said, energized by the mere thought. “We feel we’ll be able to come out of the draft with some help. Unlike some of our former coaches, Herm likes to and will play younger players, including rookies.”

Their background and friendship aside, Edwards’ willingness to use younger players was one of the qualities that made him an attractive head-coaching candidate to Peterson. In Edwards’ five seasons as head coach in New York, the Jets were generally among the leaders in numbers of rookies and first-year players and among the lowest in numbers of players 30 and older.

“I don’t really run into a problem having young players play,” Edwards said. “That doesn’t bother me. I’ve done that in Tampa. I’ve done that in New York. I’m going to do it here. If a young player is ready to play, if he’s the best player, if he’s the coachable player, if he’s the available player, if he’s buying into what we ask him to do, he’s going to play.

“We’ll play young guys. You’ve got to be patient with them because they’re going to make mistakes. You’ve got to live with that. I will, because after week eight, they’re going to be better players for it. They won’t get better if you don’t play them.”

Peterson was often frustrated over the years that capable rookies such as halfback Larry Johnson and wide receiver Samie Parker languished on the bench for most or all of the season. His frustration is evident from his not-so-subtle dig above at former coach Dick Vermeil.

Actually, more rookies started for Vermeil in his five seasons with the Chiefs (five) than for Edwards with the Jets (four). Still, there’s no question the Chiefs are aging. They had the most players last season 30 and older (18) and were third in average age (27.62) and NFL experience (5.28).

Edwards stands ready to lead them on a youth movement.

“I don’t think you can keep going down that road,” Edwards said. “You’ve got to develop your own guys and believe in the draft. That’s the way to go because then the guys you’ve got coming into your system are your guys.

“I’m not saying you shouldn’t get a good free agent if one comes available. But I don’t think you rely as heavily on free-agency as you do the draft. I’m not going to say we’re not going to be involved with free-agency. I am saying we’re going to pick and choose.”

Two weeks into the free-agency signing period, the Chiefs haven’t signed a player from another team. They may become more active now that asking prices are coming down.

Still, it’s instructive to take a look at their four known free-agent visitors. Each has since signed elsewhere, but cornerback Will Allen and defensive linemen Rocky Bernard, DeQuincy Scott and Ryan Denney are all 28 or younger and should be headed into the primes of their careers.

The young up-and-comers are the kind of free agents the Chiefs might pursue in the Edwards era.

“If you get a free-agent guy, you want to get him when he’s going into his second contract,” Edwards said. “Those guys are still probably on the way up in their careers. The veteran guy in his third contract, he’s probably leveled off.”

That’s not to say the Chiefs won’t eventually sign the occasional over-30 player, such as cornerback Ty Law. They probably won’t do it as often as they did last year, when they signed safety Sammy Knight (then almost 30) and traded for cornerback Patrick Surtain (then almost 29).

The Chiefs also made an effort to sign other older veterans, such as cornerback Samari Rolle and linebacker Jeremiah Trotter.

The youth movement might have claimed its first victim in fullback Tony Richardson, who signed last week as a free agent with Minnesota. Richardson didn’t receive a blockbuster contract from the Vikings, signing for two years and $2.5 million.

Yet the Chiefs obviously didn’t see fit to invest even that amount in a 34-year-old player who, although still productive, is close to the end of his career.

It may happen later this year with 37-year-old deep snapper Kendall Gammon. The Chiefs recently re-signed Gammon to a new contract, but they also added another snapper in Adam Johnson, 26, who with a strong training camp and preseason could nudge Gammon from his job.

Edwards’ history says it might happen.

“We started some young guys every year with the Jets,” Edwards said. “That wasn’t a problem. We just put them out there and let them play. And they weren’t all first-round draft picks.

“We had to go young. We had to get young eventually. You’ve got to commit to that. You’ve got to say, ‘This is what we’re going to do.’ You can’t be afraid of it. You can’t be afraid to let a veteran guy go early.”

That's a F*#@ing JOKE! Herm you lying, sniveling, piece of sh*t weasel, I hope you never see a victory again in football.

P.S. Did anyone else insert Herm's voice when reading that trash article? It fit to a T.

Robertson was the first rookie I recall him starting, and that was two years ago. Vilma and Rashad Washington started this past season. That's 3 guys out of how many draft picks in 5 years? And only like, 3 draft picks were ever cut. That's alot of "young players" riding the bench.

Hey look, this is what Herm does. He talks and talks and talks and talks. AND SAYS NOTHING.

He has no business being a HC in the NFL. None.

Robertson was the first rookie I recall him starting, and that was two years ago. Vilma and Rashad Washington started this past season. That's 3 guys out of how many draft picks in 5 years? And only like, 3 draft picks were ever cut. That's alot of "young players" riding the bench.

Hey look, this is what Herm does. He talks and talks and talks and talks. AND SAYS NOTHING.

He has no business being a HC in the NFL. None.

Coleman and Rhodes both started as rookies under Edwards also.

Only question-when does WB sue Edwards for blatant copyright infringement? It looks like he lifted a good chunk of this stuff whole-

Foghorn Leghorn is a large animated adult rooster appearing in numerous Warner Brothers cartoons. He first appeared in 1946 in a Henery Hawk film entitled Walky Talky Hawky. Foghorn Leghorn is considered a significant Looney Tunes character, whose sidekick/nemesis was referred to simply as The Barnyard Dog. All of the motion picture Foghorn Leghorn cartoons were directed by Robert McKimson.

Many of the gags involved Leghorn and the dog engaging in one-upmanship through a series of pranks and gags. Most common among them was Leghorn's taking up a piece of wood, while ambling along humming "Camptown Races," and, coming to the sleeping Dog with his front half inside his doghouse, picking up his tail and rapidly whacking his exposed rear end. The dog gave chase, usually while his leash was still on, until it was stretched taut and his barking was replaced by an anguished shriek. This gag was passed down to the Leghorn's grandson in Feather Bluster, where Leghorn was puzzled as to why the kid was behaving that way and the Dog was all too happy to remind him: "Ain't nothin' wrong with 'im, Foggy, 'cept that he takes after you".

His voice was created by actor Mel Blanc, patterned after the character of Senator Claghorn, a blustering southern politician who was a regular character on the Fred Allen radio show. Senator Claghorn was created and voiced by radio comedian Kenny Delmar. Foghorn Leghorn used a number of Claghorn's catch phrases, like "That's a joke... I say, that's a joke, son". The references to Senator Claghorn were obvious to much of the audience when the Foghorn Leghorn cartoons first premiered, but like many of the references in WB cartoons of the era, they have since become dated and "go over the heads" of most modern-day audiences.

A Leghorn is a breed of chicken, and foghorn describes the character's loud, overbearing voice. At its most raucous, it sounds similar to Blanc's Yosemite Sam. Both parts of the name also suggest the association with "Senator Claghorn."

[edit]

Quotes

"That boy is about as sharp as a bowlin' ball."

"Son, I said Son..."

"Now don't set the world on fire."

"Nice boy, but he doesn't pay attention to a word you say."

"I say!, I say!, The boy is bozerk!!"

"Clunk enough people and we'll have a nation of lumpheads."

"Nice girl, but about as sharp as a sack of wet mice."

"That woman's as cold as a nudist on an iceberg."

"She reminds me of Paul Revere's ride - a little light in the belfry."

"Gal reminds me of the highway between Ft. Worth and Dallas - no curves."

"As bare as a cooch dancer's midriff."

"Boy's like a dead horse - got no get up and go..."

"Hey boy, you cover about as much as a flapper's skirt in a high wind."

"She's tryin' to make a pantywaist out of that poor kid."

"That kid's about as sharp as a pound of wet liver."

"If kid don't stop talkin' so much he'll get his tongue sunburned."

"Well, barbeque my hamhocks!"

"That dog's as subtle as a hand grenade in a barrrel of oat meal."

"That boy's as strong as an ox, and just about as smart."

"Look sister, is any of this filtering through that little blue bonnet of yours?"

"You're doing a lot of choppin', but no chips are flyin'."

"I've got this boy as figgity as a bubble dancer with a slow leak."

"You look like two miles of bad road."

"That boy's just like a tattoo...gets under your skin."

"This is gonna cause more confusion than a mouse in a burlesque show!"

"I-I-I know what you're gonna say son. When two halves is gone there's nuthin' left - and you're right. It's a little ol' worm who wasn't there. Two nuthins is nuthin'. That's mathematics son. You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nuthins is a whole nuthin'."

"Lookit here son, I say son, did ya see that hawk after those hens? He scared 'em! That Rhode Island Red turned white. Then blue. Rhode Island. Red, white, and blue. That's a joke, son. A flag waver."

"You're built too low. The fast ones go over your head. Ya got a hole in your glove. I keep pitchin' 'em and you keep missin' 'em. Ya gotta keep your eye on the ball. Eye. Ball. I almost had a gag, son. Joke, that is."

"Okay, I'll shut up. Some fellas have to keep their tongues flappin' but not me. I was brought up right. My pa used to tell me to shut up and I'd shut up. I wouldn't say nothin'. One time darn near starved to death. WOULDN'T TELL HIM I WAS HUNGRY!!"

"Fortunately, I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"

"You're doing a lot of choppin', but no chips are flyin'"

"Boy's like a dead horse -- got no get-up-and-go..."

"Pay attention, boy! I'm cuttin' but you're not bleedin'!"

"Kid don't stop talking so much he'll get his tongue sun burned."

"Mutts - ah say - mutts is nuts!"

"I don't this kid's got all his marbles. Shakes his head when he means yes and nods when he means no."

"That boy's so dumb, he thinks a Mexican border pays rent!"

"I don't need your love to keep me warm, Widow Hen. I have my BANDAGES to keep me warm!"

"Say, boy, you cover about as much as a flapper skirt in a high wind."

"You've gotta be a magician to keep a kid's attention 'more than two minutes nowadays!"

"A sensitive mind won't stand being picked on."

"The dawg's busier than a centipede at a toe-counting contest."

"Hey Dawg! I've come to bury the hatchet! Ha, ha. Not in your pointed head, Boy. I've come to give a present!"

"The snow's so deep, the farmers have to jack up the cows so they can milk 'em!"

"Here, boy, I bought you this bowling ball. I also bought you this clock to tell you when it's time to bowl."

"That dawg is strictly G.I. -- Gibbering Idiot!"

"My foot's getting hotter than a sweat-band in a fireman's helmet."

"OH that woman Gotta mouth like an outboard moter, All the time putputputputputput!"

"That boy's as timid as a canary at a cat-show."

"I need, I say, I need a pointer, and that dog's got just the head for it. Pointed, that is."

"Go away, boy! Or I'll spank you where the feathers are thinnest."

"Boy's got a mouth like a cannon. Always shooting it off."

"Some like to bowl on the green. I'm gonna bowl on the white."

"What'ya doin' with a pump, boy? Diggin' for oil? You're crazy, boy. There's no oil within 500 miles of here. Geology of the ground's all wrong. Even if there WAS oil you'd need a drill not a tire pump."

"Speakin' of figures. I put 2 and 2 together and come up with a 4-legged, smart alec mutt!"

"Smart boy, got a mind like a steel trap -- full of mice."

Coleman and Rhodes both started as rookies under Edwards also.

I thought he started the season with Oliver Celestin over Rhodes. Excellent judgement, Herm.

Even still, please list the veterans that Coleman & Rhodes (or even Robertson) started over. Only reason these guys started right off the bat is b/c there was no one else.

If we still had Tongue & Garnes, Coleman & Rhodes would've still been on the bench through game 16 last year.

With Edwards, a first-round WR playmaker (who we traded up to draft), wasn't permitted to start until the likes of Curtis Conway got injured.

I'm not posting the full article, just note that Edwards spent, if it's accurate, 1/2 an hour babbling with Gary Meyers. In fact, it sounds like Meyers was stalking the lobby, and Hermie, God love his two-faced media-friendly fake, phony fraud act, probably had little to do, with Carl Peterson having long relegated Hermie to stay at the kids table during the big coach's party for fear he'll make a mess if he were allowed to sit with the big boys. Tannebaum and Mangini probably know Meyers is that fish-faced-looking know-nothing Daily News MFer, and haven't spoken to him ever. And when an article starts out with a headline about a coach's truthfulness, the guy is already full of bovine manure and everyone knows it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/col/story/403364p-341625c.html

Archived