A fans Passion for ones team.....

JonEJet

Not picking on you Troll, but I read that you became a fan of the Jets even though you are not from the area....as are alot of Jets fans

BUT, Is it possible for a fan to feel the emotion of New York, and have AS MUCH passion for the Jets as someone who is not "originally" from the New York?

Not picking on you Troll, but I read that you became a fan of the Jets even though you are not from the area....as are alot of Jets fans

BUT, Is it possible for a fan to feel the emotion of New York, and have AS MUCH passion for the Jets as someone who is not "originally" from the New York?

What a friggn' dumbass post.

So to be a Jets fan you HAVE to live in NY?:eek:

Growing up on LI.....i used to remember waking up early on Sunday Mornings during football season to check out the sports pages of Newsday.....reading all the stats, and articles getting ready for gameday.

The local News was about the Jets....you'd see what was going on with the team on a daily basis

When you are not from the area....you can't get the details of the team, that you would from not being in the area

I know,,I don't live in NY now, and I think that's what i miss the most....the daily in and outs of the team

Granted the internet helps us out more today...but how in the world can a guy from Nashville be that passionate about a team that is in NY? Just can't!!

Growing up on LI.....i used to remember waking up early on Sunday Mornings during football season to check out the sports pages of Newsday.....reading all the stats, and articles getting ready for gameday.

The local News was about the Jets....you'd see what was going on with the team on a daily basis

When you are not from the area....you can't get the details of the team, that you would from not being in the area

I know,,I don't live in NY now, and I think that's what i miss the most....the daily in and outs of the team

Granted the internet helps us out more today...but how in the world can a guy from Nashville be that passionate about a team that is in NY? Just can't!!

JEJ-I can echo everything that you said in your post about the Jets, and I grew up in the Poconos. The NY papers were delivered there, and I looked for every possible smidgeon of news on teh team that I could.

Does that make me less passionate (or more passionate), is an impossible thing to gauge.

I am willing to bet that I am more passionate about the Jets than some people who grew up in NY and call themselves fans, as well as I am sure there are some that are more than me.

Passion relates more to one's own desires and inner being, rather than where they grew up or what their background is.

Here's a thought. Can a person who did not grow up in the area feel a RIVALRY the same way as a "native" does? Example: Boston versus New York, (Baseball of course, to a lesser extent the other sports). There is NO WAY a fan can "feel" the rivalry as passionatly as a native New Englander, New Yorker, New Jersey--er? LOL!

This has to be one of the stupidest posts I have read here.

First off, I became a Jets fan in 1984 at the ripe age of 11. I was living in a small town in northern Michigan and all my family were Lions fans.

At the time I was more interested in players as apposed to teams, but I really liked Mark Gastineau. I'll agree that following them during that time was difficult, and the only exposure I had to the Jets was through Inside The NFL on HBO. But, I would always scoreboard watch on Sundays and be excited to watch the halftime highlights during the Lions game and get the box score the next morning.

So, it was pretty much that way until 1992 when I had joined the service and found some Jets fans that were from New York. Great guys, and they didn't bust my balls about being a Jets fan from Michigan.

All the information one needs about the Jets can be found on the internet, in fact the resources are unlimited; NFL Network, NFL Sunday Ticket, local NY/NJ papers etc.

I pour the same money into the organization that a fan from NY/NJ does, and if you think about it, that's all that matters.

Do you honestly feel the Yankees would be as wealthy if they weren't as global as they are?

Here's a thought. Can a person who did not grow up in the area feel a RIVALRY the same way as a "native" does? Example: Boston versus New York, (Baseball of course, to a lesser extent the other sports). There is NO WAY a fan can "feel" the rivalry as passionatly as a native New Englander, New Yorker, New Jersey--er? LOL!

You don't expect anyone to swallow that tripe do you?

Rivalry has NOTHING to do with the city that you live in, and EVERYTHING to do with what has transpired between teams and their history.

I would'nt say NOTHING. Boston does have a "little sister" complex. NY does have a "pompous" complex. This FEEDS the Red Sox/Yanks rivarly almost as much as what has transpired between the two teams. It helps sustain the Jets/Pats rivalry - yes, same division, but has there been any question who the superior team has been the past couple of years? Put in this way, if I were a Pats fan that grew up in Iowa and now lives in Arizona - I wouldn't dislike the Jets as much as I do having grown up in a suburb of Boston.

I would'nt say NOTHING. Boston does have a "little sister" complex. NY does have a "pompous" complex. This FEEDS the Red Sox/Yanks rivarly almost as much as what has transpired between the two teams. It helps sustain the Jets/Pats rivalry - yes, same division, but has there been any question who the superior team has been the past couple of years? Put in this way, if I were a Pats fan that grew up in Iowa and now lives in Arizona - I wouldn't dislike the Jets as much as I do having grown up in a suburb of Boston.

"Like" or "dislike" has NOTHING to do with geography and everything to do with the person.

Do ALL people in NE feel the SAME way about NY. Do all even "dislike" NY? Of course not.

Those are personal feelings that are created by association, emotions and experience. NOT geography

I respectfully disagree.

Garb, if you were to ask a large segment of long time Jet fans, who their rival is that they spew the most hatred towards, I would wager that the majority would say that it is the Miami Dolphins.

Certainly, pre 1998 that is true.

How does geography and location play into that?

i think so too...

my buddy loves the steelers .he never lived in PITT..or even PA for that matter....

I've met tons of fans at Steelers home games that never lived there. The Steelers are one of those teams ya either love or hate IMO. I wonder how many other teams fanbase travels as well as SteelerNation does too. Granted Detroit was close, but that was ALOT of Steeler faithful there. On my way to the SB parade, there was at least ten miles of Steeler fans on the Ohio turnpike.The SB in Arizona had a hell of alot of fans as well. I've been in Cinci when Steeler fans out-numbered bungle fans by at least 3-1. It still baffles me.

I've met tons of fans at Steelers home games that never lived there. The Steelers are one of those teams ya either love or hate IMO. I wonder how many other teams fanbase travels as well as SteelerNation does too. Granted Detroit was close, but that was ALOT of Steeler faithful there. On my way to the SB parade, there was at least ten miles of Steeler fans on the Ohio turnpike.The SB in Arizona had a hell of alot of fans as well. I've been in Cinci when Steeler fans out-numbered bungle fans by at least 3-1. It still baffles me.

SP-There were a lot of 70's bandwagon Steeler fans that hung on.

I don't need to defend my passion for the team. My posts do that for me, every day.

Saying I'm not as passionate a fan because I was born, raised, and live in Lousiana is ridiculous. You talk about how, living in the NY area, you were able to get the details of the team. Well, does it make me even MORE passionate than you because I had to work five times as hard in order to get the same info? Buying every NFL magazine I could find, saving every sports page that talked about the Jets.

I don't think it necessarily does. Although I am from the South, I have never rode horses. Particularly, high ones.

I don't need to defend my passion for the team. My posts do that for me, every day.

Saying I'm not as passionate a fan because I was born, raised, and live in Lousiana is ridiculous. You talk about how, living in the NY area, you were able to get the details of the team. Well, does it make me even MORE passionate than you because I had to work five times as hard in order to get the same info? Buying every NFL magazine I could find, saving every sports page that talked about the Jets.

I don't think it necessarily does. Although I am from the South, I have never rode horses. Particularly, high ones.

My underoos had jet green on them and in them

Being born in NY is what made me root for the Yankees/Jets.

With me, its all about state/local pride. If I was not from NY I would root for the team of the state I was born in (if they didnt have a team I'd find one). State/local pride is the only reason I became a Yankees/Jets fan.

But other Jets fans born in different states can still be as hardcore, but they'll never have as much passion for the sox/yankees rivalry.

Being born in NY is what made me root for the Yankees/Jets.

With me, its all about state/local pride. If I was not from NY I would root for the team of the state I was born in (if they didnt have a team I'd find one). State/local pride is the only reason I became a Yankees/Jets fan.

But other Jets fans born in different states can still be as hardcore, but they'll never have as much passion for the sox/yankees rivalry.

That's hogwash.

So does NOT being a Yankees fan (or a Met Fan), and living in NY make one civically unfit?

This argument is like saying we both like spaghetti, but because I live in Italy, I am more passionate about it.

That's hogwash.

So does NOT being a Yankees fan (or a Met Fan), and living in NY make one civically unfit?

This argument is like saying we both like spaghetti, but because I live in Italy, I am more passionate about it.

That brings up an interesting question.

Who's more passionate about jambalaya: me or T-Mac?

That's hogwash.

Nice job, slick.

I dont live in New York anymore. And you cant compare food to sports.

There's a reason they are officially called "The New York Yankees" not just "The Yankees". Or the "RedSox" but "Boston redsox". They give teams names of states or cities so people from that area can support them, instead we'd have more Yankee fans in florida than in New Jersey if they were just "The Yankees", who happened to play in New York for no apparent reason.

Like I said, those from other states can be just as passionate about the Jets, but with the yankees/sox rivalry, it has more to do with new york vs boston, than just red sox vs yankees.

Like I said, those from other states can be just as passionate about the Jets, but with the yankees/sox rivalry, it has more to do with new york vs boston, than just red sox vs yankees.

That's a bunch of crap Dooshey.

Troll is probably one of the most passionate Jet fans on this message board and the dude has never been north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Where you live or grow up has absolutely nothing to do about how passionate you are about your team.

Troll is probably one of the most passionate Jet fans on this message board and the dude has never been north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Where you live or grow up has absolutely nothing to do about how passionate you are about your team.

For f#cks sake. Comp 101, tx.

Read my post again. Sox/Yankees is an exception, these rivalrys are more than just the 2 teams facing off, its NY vs Boston. Now tell me how a person not from NY could possibly understand the border wars as much as a guy from NY.

I know this 1st hand, when I lived in NY, the NY/Boston matchups seemed to have more to it then since I have lived in FL the past 6 years. Its different. Not as exciting.

You are a ****ing retard

Tell me fans of the Brooklyn Dodgers, when they moved out of Brool;yn still followed the team?

You truly are an imbecile

I do not disrespect troll for his passion of the team, or any fan as a matter of fact

I am questioning the passion level

I guess you wouldn't know passion about a team...being a bandwagon rider and all

A perfect example of [assion....the days on school, when you go to school wearing Jets colors, looking at guys walking around wearing Giants colors....This raises the passion level one has for a team....or rivalry for that matter

Keep with your mindless banter, leave real discussion to those that understand team pride

Archived