McGovern contract details

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

This is a great price for a guy that could 100% start at C for us. Even if we get a guy like JMS, that’s still a great number for a backup C/G. Nicely done

I really dont see any other takes then this.  Great deal - and who knows anything about McGovern personally.  Maybe he doesnt care about an extra million to move across the country or play for a team that isnt gonna win.  The guy has made $30+ million and now is on a team with legit aspirations.

If McGovern starts opening day, i dont love it as I thought he was a big reason the line struggled, but he is more then capable of being a decent center for one more year, while also helping a rookie develop.  If we have a rookie who takes hold of the job, then it seems like his salary would allude to him being fine as a backup.

Win across the board for the jets.

5 hours ago, BurntDice said:

In the 4th sure. In the earlier rounds you target guys in positions who get paid a lot. This maximizes the value of the rookie contract. 

the average center makes 6 mil or less. You aren’t benefiting cap wise from first or 2nd round centers 

I could care less about benefitting cap wise. I want an anchor for my running game and protection for my FQB. Take the best center available…..after you get your OT.

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

From the beginning, this franchise has had an anchor planted at the center position, from John Schmitt for 10 seasons, including Superbowl III, Joe Fields for 12 years, Jim Sweeney (2d round pick #37) for 7 years, Kevin Mawae (Seattle 2d round pick #36) for 7 years, and then Nick Mangold, (1st round pick #29) for 11 years.  

Interestingly, the only years in which the jets were in playoffs were with one of these guys at center.  Ever since Nick retired, the Jets have had nothing but dogsh*t at the position and the results have been obvious.

Take a center in the 2nd round, like most of the guys above, that can anchor this line for a decade.  I'll be happy with any of the 4 Big Ten from Minnesota, Ohio St, Wisconsin, even Michigan.  Or get Scruggs from Penn St later.  I want a center for the Jet OL that will lead the team.. 

Completely agree with this.

1 hour ago, OilfieldJet said:

I could care less about benefitting cap wise. I want an anchor for my running game and protection for my FQB. Take the best center available…..after you get your OT.

This isn’t the 1980s man. The ball gets out in under 3 seconds. You don’t need great players across the line. 

How many rings did the cowboys win with the #1 OL in the league the past 20 years? They have less playoff wins than the jets since 2000 

What’s important is having good skill positions who can get open quick and a qb who knows where to go with it. 

On 4/26/2023 at 2:24 PM, Dcat said:

From the beginning, this franchise has had an anchor planted at the center position, from John Schmitt for 10 seasons, including Superbowl III, Joe Fields for 12 years, Jim Sweeney (2d round pick #37) for 7 years, Kevin Mawae (Seattle 2d round pick #36) for 7 years, and then Nick Mangold, (1st round pick #29) for 11 years.  

Interestingly, the only years in which the jets were in playoffs were with one of these guys at center.  Ever since Nick retired, the Jets have had nothing but dogsh*t at the position and the results have been obvious.

Take a center in the 2nd round, like most of the guys above, that can anchor this line for a decade.  I'll be happy with any of the 4 Big Ten from Minnesota, Ohio St, Wisconsin, even Michigan.  Or get Scruggs from Penn St later.  I want a center for the Jet OL that will lead the team.. 

great call on this Dcat.