McGovern contract details

Wow!!!

Really leaves the door open still for us to go C and let them battle it out now and don't have to justify benching a guy getting paid a ton.

That competition doesn't have to come from JMS, Tippmann or Wypler. It can even be a tier down from that and still make it an open competition. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

1 year, $1.9M, $1.25M guaranteed.

Wow...he's practically paying the Jets.

Amazing deal, definitely won't stop the Jets from upgrading in the draft if they love a prospect.

Nice.  I'm less unhappy about the signing seeing that deal/cost.  That's backup money.

Now JD just needs to draft us a legit Center.

• Upvote 4

Great deal … but also shows he has some pretty big flaws in his game at Center.

Happy to have him but prefer him as backup Center and potentially starting guard over Tomlinson if the latter continues to struggle.

Believe McGovern’s greatest weaknesses (calling out protections & setting the tempo ) will be eliminated at guard.

Now let’s draft someone nasty to start at Center.  A high IQ and good anchor in the passing game.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Signing starting centers at 2 mil, but yet people still want to draft one high smh 

I’m not sure the Jets are looking at him to start. Still believe it’s Center in round 2.

IMO we are seeing a strategy to beef up the interior in case we need to shift AVT outside (if injuries occur) and because of Tomlinson.

MCGovern, Schweitzer, and Colon all have Center/Guard versatility.

AVT Guard/Tackle versatility.

Tomlinson was too expensive to cut but we cannot risk our season by keeping him as a starter because of it.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I’m not sure the Jets are looking at him to start. Still believe it’s Center in round 2.

IMO we are seeing a strategy to beef up the interior in case we need to shift AVT outside (if injuries occur) and because of Tomlinson.

MCGovern, Schweitzer, and Colon all have Center/Guard versatility.

AVT Guard/Tackle versatility.

Tomlinson was too expensive to cut but we cannot risk our season by keeping him as a starter because of it.

I’d be shocked if center is drafted rd 2. There are like 7 guys who are solid in this class. Taking one that high just doesn’t make sense imo 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Round 4?

That’s what I’m thinking. Maybe if some trading down happens and a 3rd Is picked up then I can see that also. With that second round pick you can get some guys who can make an immediate impact in other positions which are expensive to sign 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

That’s what I’m thinking. Maybe if some trading down happens and a 3rd Is picked up then I can see that also. With that second round pick you can get some guys who can make an immediate impact in other positions which are expensive to sign 

Very fair points.

Maybe another WR in round 2 or a stud FS (some of the best were drafted here)

Maybe he signed for less because he doesn't want to move his family again, and that he likes it here. The devil you know is often better than the devil you don't. Moving is expensive, financially and mentally - if he has kids in schools that they like, that's also a part of the equation.

• Upvote 4

Dude I was told Mcgovern was going to be a hot free agent and make 12 mil per year....this is why I don't listen to any of you dipsh*ts around here. lol  I'm still waiting for Corey Davis, Carl Lawson, and Laken Tomlinson to get cut for cap relief.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Amazing deal, definitely won't stop the Jets from upgrading in the draft if they love a prospect.

This is IOL depth money. Love it.

Guy wants a shot at a ring.

• Upvote 3

It's important to remember the Jets signed 2 veteran center/guards in free agency. Wes Schweitzer from the Commanders and Trystan Colon from the Ravens.  Both are solid veterans. 

We also have Chris Glaser who was on the practice squad all year - the old regime seemed to like his upside.  Remains to be seen if the new regime thinks as highly - but he is a possible center/guard option as well.

Unless you are picking an interior offensive lineman who you think can start, we have more then adequate depth at center/guard and shouldn't use a draft pick on an interior offensive lineman. 

Now, if there's someone in the 2nd round you love, okay, fine

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

That's shockingly low. I never thought he was any good (can't figure out stunts, for one), but that's a great deal for the Jets. He's probably a better G than C.

All this talk about AVT.  If the Jets really think he can excel at OT, then just move him there!