LenDale Speaks

Green Jets & Ham

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
REAL PLAYER REQUIRED

We'd be nuts to pass on this beast if he slides to 29

LenDale on NFL Total Access

And how quick will Jet fans and media kill the organization if he's another Ron Dayne? Not a good idea to allow yourself to be seen as a fat, out of shape RB a few weeks before the draft.

White is way more physical than Ron Dayne ever was. Plus, he didn't take half the abuse at USC that Dayne did at Wisconsin.

I prefer guys who show they want to be in the NFL and prove it by busting their asses to show everybody. I'm not a big fan of grabbing guys who feel they're entitled to be in the NFL so they can get out of shape before even getting drafted. Give me the guy who believes in working hard to get what he wants, over the guy who sits back and just expects good things to happen. Again, JMO...and if not for the fact that he did let himself get out of shape, I would have been 100% behind drafting White @29. Not anymore.

Let me offer one piece of advice to you casual and/or neophyte draftniks who buy into the media hysteria about every sore hammy, every missed forty, and every five pounds gained, cause this is not my first rodeo

If LenDale White slides to 29, you run that pick to the podium while wearing a mask and carrying a gun

Let me offer one piece of advice to you casual and/or neophyte draftniks who buy into the media hysteria about every five pounds gained and every missed forty yard dash, cause this is NOT my first rodeo

If LenDale White slides to 29, you run that pick to the podium while wearing a mask and carrying a gun

To me it's more about brains and work ethic. If you're stupid enough to lose yourself millions of dollars in exchange for a few cheeseburgers that you're too lazy to burn off, you're an idiot plain and simple. And if you think White didn't hurt his draft status by showing up overweight, then why are we even considering the possibility of taking him @ 29. A player of his caliber should not drop below 20.

Again, I'd take the hard worker with brains over the idiot any day of the week.

And if you think White didn't hurt his draft status by showing up overweight, then why are we even considering the possibility of taking him @ 29. A player of his caliber should not drop below 20.

AFJ, I'll keep it real short ... it's a matter of degree, my friend ... the off season matters, so if you screw up a little bit you will slide a bit, and if you screw up a whole lot you will slide a whole lot ... like anything else, it's about putting things in the proper perspective

LenDale slides, but how far?

NO FURTHER THAN 29 IF I HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT IT!!

He didn't smoke crack, not a criminal or a thug, and didn't even get popped for indecent exposure ... he had a few too many pancakes at the local IHOP and strained a hammy, so he probably slides a bit, and if we're real lucky he slides all the way to 29

That's called keeping things in perspective and NOT forgetting that we are still talkin about a monster RB

Let me offer one piece of advice to you casual and/or neophyte draftniks who buy into the media hysteria about every sore hammy, every missed forty, and every five pounds gained, cause this is not my first rodeo

Since you brought it up, I'm going to ask. What are your credentials Ham? Do you go to the combine? Do you go to the pro-days? Do you have scores of film in your home or office that you scour over on a daily basis? If so how did you get it?

I'm not attacking you, I just think that anyone who calls out other people should have to explain their own credentials.

I prefer guys who show they want to be in the NFL and prove it by busting their asses to show everybody. I'm not a big fan of grabbing guys who feel they're entitled to be in the NFL so they can get out of shape before even getting drafted. Give me the guy who believes in working hard to get what he wants, over the guy who sits back and just expects good things to happen. Again, JMO...and if not for the fact that he did let himself get out of shape, I would have been 100% behind drafting White @29. Not anymore.

So I guess you were all about the Robertson trade a couple years ago when we traded two first round picks for Mr. Workout Warrior himself?

Save the moralzing self-righteousness for a Bobby Knight special. We can either go after the Mike Mamulas and Dewayne Robertsons of the world who are exactly what you want or we can get guys who win.

The other day and I don't know it word for word but Mangini was

saying that any scout that suggests a player that doesn't have good

character, work ethic or a strong desire to play football is in deep

trouble with me.

Now if any of you guys were a scout for the Jets knowing your

job was on the line would you recommend White knowing what

transpired with him the last few days and some previous indiscretions????

I agree hammy, if we don't trade up for bush,or trade down with denver then we should hope that he falls to 29 , doubt it, but could happen.but if he's there at 29 we have to steal this kid, big time gamer ,bruser,runner etc... even cmart said this kid is the real deal ,coming from an all pro at that position he would be a great teacher for him

The other day and I don't know it word for word but Mangini was

saying that any scout that suggests a player that doesn't have good

character, work ethic or a strong desire to play football is in deep

trouble with me.

Now if any of you guys were a scout for the Jets knowing your

job was on the line would you recommend White knowing what

transpired with him the last few days and some previous indiscretions????

You make it sound like the guy robbed a bank and ran over an old lady in the getaway car. The guy showed up 8 lbs over his listed playing weight and didn't run the 40 so now he's the anti-Christ. I don't think White is slipping to 29 but if he's there it would be a steal.

You make it sound like the guy robbed a bank and ran over an old lady in the getaway car. The guy showed up 8 lbs over his listed playing weight and didn't run the 40 so now he's the anti-Christ. I don't think White is slipping to 29 but if he's there it would be a steal.

No, actually I could care less if they take him or not.

I'm just going by what mangini had said. Based on that even if its

a minor indiscretion as you say would you risk your job and recommend him???

Be honest now.

No, actually I could care less if they take him or not.

I'm just going by what mangini had said. Based on that even if its

a minor indiscretion as you say would you risk your job and recommend him???

Be honest now.

Yes, at 29, in a heartbeat. I judge football players by what they do on the field.

Since you brought it up, I'm going to ask. What are your credentials Ham? Do you go to the combine? Do you go to the pro-days? Do you have scores of film in your home or office that you scour over on a daily basis? If so how did you get it?

I'm not attacking you, I just think that anyone who calls out other people should have to explain their own credentials.

I'm trying to help you, so you don't make a dumb mistake, and that's the thanks I get?

Never the matter, you'll thank me later ... or admit you should have been grateful for the advice

That aside, my credentials {as you call it} are the same as everyone elses, my own two eyes ... only I seem to have been blessed with a better eye for talent than most :cool::thumbup:

I'm trying to help you, so you don't make a dumb mistake, and that's the thanks I get?

Never the matter, you'll thank me later ... or admit you should have been grateful for the advice

That aside, my credentials {as you call it} are the same as everyone elses, my own two eyes ... only I seem to have been blessed with a better eye for talent than most :cool::thumbup:

Fair enough, i appreciate the honesty. We shall see when ythe time comes. Personally I don't like the idea of depending on a RB of his size. They tend to break down very quickly. Bettis was the only one who didn't.

So I guess you were all about the Robertson trade a couple years ago when we traded two first round picks for Mr. Workout Warrior himself?

Save the moralzing self-righteousness for a Bobby Knight special. We can either go after the Mike Mamulas and Dewayne Robertsons of the world who are exactly what you want or we can get guys who win.

If you could show me where in my post I made that statement I'd really appreciate it.

Here's the thing, Lendale White was a hell of a college football player. Did great things on the field that easily justify a first round selection. IMO, on field performance is the #1 factor in drafting a player. More important than a combine, or pro-day, or amauer scouting report. What we're talking about here is what player to take in round #1 of a very deep draft. If I'm an NFL team I'm going to use all of my first day picks on the players who performed best on the field, and who continue to show a desire to keep themselves in top condition to play the game. Hard work will only get a player so far so I am not in favor of drafting a player who is known ONLY for his workouts. There will be several players @ #29 who carry first round grades based on on-field performance, and workouts who have continued to try to improve themselves since the end of their college season. Then there will be players who carry first round grades who have chosen to chill on the couch while they wait for their first big pay day. I'll take the former over the latter any day of the week.

Forgot to mention Jamal Lewis, Larry Johnson and Ladainian Tomlinson.

I may be wrong but I'd guess theres a difference of anywhere from 15-20 lbs in Lendale and LT with Lendale being the heavyweight

Fair enough, i appreciate the honesty. We shall see when ythe time comes. Personally I don't like the idea of depending on a RB of his size. They tend to break down very quickly. Bettis was the only one who didn't.

Boozer, let me tell you what I meant by "this is not my first rodeo", so you know it wasn't meant as a put down of anyone else

I've been a draftnik, a nutty draftnik, for 30+ Years, and thus I have seen all of this before ... none of this is new too me ... I've seen players rise and fall for just about every reason under the sun, so I've developed some sort of perspective as to THE DEGREE of the off season mishaps for fallers and taking PERFORMACE into account for the workout warriors, etc etc ... in other words, after so many years at this I have gained some measure of experience at trying to balance it all, keep performace in mind at all times as well {as we tend to forget the further removed from football we become}, and try not to make any horrible mistakes based on minor issues comparitively speaking

And lastly, I try to draw on experience ... I try to recall the times I myself made a mountain out of a molehill and would have passed on a terrific player, only to spend the next ten years kickin myself in the @$$ ... the times I allowed the hype to sway me, GOOD OR BAD, over relative nonsense ... etc etc ... and I try to avoid repeating those mistakes

That doesn't make me smarter than the next guy, I just have more experience to draw on than most, and I'm smart enough to use it wisely ... and I do believe I have a pretty good eye for talent as well, not perfect {no one is}, but a pretty fair track record for an amatuer draftnik

That's what I meant by, this is not my first rodeo ... I've seen all the off season hysteria before, sometimes entirely justified and sometimes way overblown, and I've seen teams benifit or lose depending upon their ability to put things in the proper perspective where others failed to do so ... or as the other poster said, A SMART GM will capitolize off others mistakes

Serious question here to look at it from another angle. As Jet fans we continie saying (for the most part) how happy we are that we have a HC who wants players who live and breathe football. No more club med type training camps, and players now being held accountable for their shortcomings. If Eric Mangini is the guy we all say we hope he is, is this somebody he would take?

White weighed in at 244 pounds, up six pounds from the doughy 238 pounds he displayed at the NFL scouting combine in February. White also did his best not to display much by wearing a loose-fitting warm-up suit for the entire workout. This was after White drew audible groans from NFL scouts when he bared his chest at the combine.

As one NFL general manager said after seeing White at the combine: “The guy needed a bra, it was ridiculous. You come to the combine looking like that and you want to be a first-round pick? Come on. The guy had obviously been doing nothing.”

On Sunday, White benched 225 pounds all of 15 times. That’s one more than USC punter Tom Malone and nine less than Bush, who White happens to outweigh by 42 pounds. After doing the bench, White called it a day. He didn’t run the 40-yard dash or do any of the other myriad of drills that so many scouts and coaches were looking forward to.

Perhaps this is why so many people are now thinking of White in company with Maurice Clarett than with Bush.

and this quote not from a scout or draftnik, but a teammate of Lendale White

Lots of ability. Little work ethic.

“The guy can play, but he just gets by,” said a former USC offensive player who was teammates with White. “He coasted in practice and he coasted in the offseason. He came in thinking he just had to put in his time and that’s what you see now. People think he’s great and the talent is there … but the stuff he did was just because he played next to Reggie and with all those other guys around him. If he had really worked at it, he would have been amazing.”

Forgot to mention Jamal Lewis, Larry Johnson and Ladainian Tomlinson.

Jamal Lewis I'll give you, although he wasn't 245 coming into the league and he is rock solid. He doesn't have that baby fat ala Bettis and Lendale. Larry Johnson is 230, mostly due to height and Tomlinson is only 221. There's no comparison.

Boozer, let me tell you what I meant by "this is not my first rodeo", so you know it wasn't meant as a put down of anyone else

I've been a draftnik, a nutty draftnik, for 30+ Years, and thus I have seen all of this before ... none of this is new too me ... I've seen players rise and fall for just about every reason under the sun, so I've developed some sort of perspective as to THE DEGREE of the off season mishaps for fallers and taking PERFORMACE into account for the workout warriors, etc etc ... in other words, after so many years at this I have gained some measure of experience at trying to balance it all, keep performace in mind at all times as well {as we tend to forget the further removed from football we become}, and try not to make any horrible mistakes based on minor issues comparitively speaking

And lastly, I try to draw on experience ... I try to recall the times I myself made a mountain out of a molehill and would have passed on a terrific player, only to spend the next ten years kickin myself in the @$$ ... the times I allowed the hype to sway me, GOOD OR BAD, over relative nonsense ... etc etc ... and I try to avoid repeating those mistakes

That doesn't make me smarter than the next guy, I just have more experience to draw on than most, and I'm smart enough to use it wisely ... and I do believe I have a pretty good eye for talent as well, not perfect {no one is}, but a pretty fair track record for an amatuer draftnik

That's what I meant by, this is not my first rodeo ... I've seen all the off season hysteria before, sometimes entirely justified and sometimes way overblown, and I've seen teams benifit or lose depending upon their ability to put things in the proper perspective where others failed to do so ... or as the other poster said, A SMART GM will capitolize off others mistakes

I know your very knowledgeable Ham, didn't mean to imply otherwise. You did come off a bit condescending in that one post so I wanted to bring you back down a bit. What's with the italics in my post? Anyways.....

I have two problems with Lendale-First is that coming into his pro day fat and out of shape tells me that if he won't bust his ass for 5-7 million dollars, what will he bust his ass for? But he's young and I can get past this. My problem is his actual in shape playing weight is about 235-240 which is very heavy. He's gonna take a pounding and quite frankly I give him 5 years before it really catches up with him. Jerome Bettis is a freak of nature that defied all odds, I can't reasonably expect that from any other man including Lendale.

Rumor has it that White can easily fill out one of Bren's bras.

If I had a dollar for every thread hijacked by brens bra size references I could afford another car payment.

The only one you might have an argument with is Lewis. LJ and LT are compleltely different backs than WHite.

Yep, comparing LT and LJ to Lendale is like comparing muscle to fat...literally.

The only one you might have an argument with is Lewis. LJ and LT are compleltely different backs than WHite.

Even though Lewis is big at 245, I still even have an issue with that comparison. You couldn't compare Bettis to Lewis because they are totally different, and the same goes for Lendale. Lewis is rock solid, and he's fast as hell. He has shiftiness and speed and if he needs to he'll also bowl you over. But he isn't just a smashmouth guy like Bettis, and considering Lendale's body type I don't think he's going to have blazing speed like Lewis. He's going to need to hit people to bust out behind the D, and over time that's going to wear him down.

My problem is his actual in shape playing weight is about 235-240 which is very heavy

This kid is 6' 1" Boozer, 6' 1" and naturally big boned ... some cats are Just built that way ... what makes him unique is that he has the skills to excell at RB at that size

Can he Get more ripped? ABSOLUTELY

But believe me, he will never play at a dime below 230-235 in his career, not ever, cause he's just not built that way ... and if some team tries to make him play in the 220's, that would be a mistake ... he's a big kid with superb RB skills, that's what he is, take it or leave it

Archived