College bowl games 2023....

Beerfish

The thing we've all noticed about these bowl games like the USC one last night is that many star players aren't in the games they have either opted for the transfer portal or the NFL and are either ineligible or won't play in fear of being injured. So what was once the keynote of the season is now secondary to personal gains. 

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The thing we've all noticed about these bowl games like the USC one last night is that many star players aren't in the games they have either opted for the transfer portal or the NFL and are either ineligible or won't play in fear of being injured. So what was once the keynote of the season is now secondary to personal gains. 

College football has done this to itself.  The only games that count are the playoffs, the rest are just glorified exhibitions.  I have gone to a couple of Bowl games and the intensity matches an NFL pre-season game.   I don't blame a kid for sitting out.  On top of that, look at the matchups this year.  You would think OSU-Oregon would be a nice Fiesta Bowl matchup.  Is anyone interested in Oregon - Liberty?  Is that really the best matchup that they could come up with.

At least with the playoffs expanding  college bowl season have more than just 3 meaningful games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

College football has done this to itself.  The only games that count are the playoffs, the rest are just glorified exhibitions.  I have gone to a couple of Bowl games and the intensity matches an NFL pre-season game.   I don't blame a kid for sitting out.  On top of that, look at the matchups this year.  You would think OSU-Oregon would be a nice Fiesta Bowl matchup.  Is anyone interested in Oregon - Liberty?  Is that really the best matchup that they could come up with.

At least with the playoffs expanding  college bowl season have more than just 3 meaningful games.

You're right about Oregon-Liberty hard to figure. Liberty is a good team and unbeaten but against all tier 2 type of teams like New Mexico State, etc. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I was gonna say, they may have to revisit "FBS" pretty soon.  I can't profess to being the tenured college fan you are, but I've witnessed the steady erosion of the "Bowl game" over the last 20 years, and with the expanded playoff set up, that's more or less the only thing anyone will care about within 2 years. RIP other games.

• Upvote 1

Kentucky keeps handing turnovers to Clemson.

Clemson return the favor by not knowing how to actually play coverage in the secondary.

Entertaining but poorly played game.

Great game for Arizona last night beating Oklahoma in the Alamo bowl, draft eligible wr to keep and eye on from Arizona Jacob Cowing 7-152 yards 2 tds.

College football bowl games have jumped the shark with all of the players sitting out. I've sadly come to the point of only caring about the final 4 because every other game is a faux version of that team during the season. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Notre Dame squashing Oregon state 24-0

Both starting QB's sitting out, all four starting OT's sitting out, both starting RB's sitting out. These bowl games don't carry the weight that they used to. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Mizzou - Ohio State has been a brutal watch so far.  3-0 Buckeyes late in the first half and I have had enough.  I can't sit through another half of this one -- time to finish of season 1 of Reacher instead.

I stuck around and got to see a Buckeye loss, which made me smile, but you made a great choice. I’m trying to wait for season 2 to end so I can binge watch, but I’m weakening.

9 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I stuck around and got to see a Buckeye loss, which made me smile, but you made a great choice. I’m trying to wait for season 2 to end so I can binge watch, but I’m weakening.

Only way I can watch these shows any more is binging.  Once the full season is released, I will watch season 2 over the course of a few days. 

Yeah, its always fun to see OSU lose.  But what did it really prove.  3rd string QB, MHJ sitting out.  College football has to do something.  Expanded playoffs will help.  Maybe not opening the portal until after the games are over will reduce the number of guys sitting out.  I will probably miss the start of the Georgia game today and I don't really care.  These are glorified exhibitions.  They mean nothing.  I have no issue with guys sitting out a glorified exhibition to get ready for the draft.  But when you add the portal guys to the mix, it has gotten out of hand.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

Only way I can watch these shows any more is binging.  Once the full season is released, I will watch season 2 over the course of a few days. 

Yeah, its always fun to see OSU lose.  But what did it really prove.  3rd string QB, MHJ sitting out.  College football has to do something.  Expanded playoffs will help.  Maybe not opening the portal until after the games are over will reduce the number of guys sitting out.  I will probably miss the start of the Georgia game today and I don't really care.  These are glorified exhibitions.  They mean nothing.  I have no issue with guys sitting out a glorified exhibition to get ready for the draft.  But when you add the portal guys to the mix, it has gotten out of hand.

When they expand the playoff, cancel all the other bowl games . Nobody cares anymore.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yeah, it’s always fun to see OSU lose.  But what did it really prove.  3rd string QB, MHJ sitting out.  College football has to do something.  Expanded playoffs will help.  Maybe not opening the portal until after the games are over will reduce the number of guys sitting out.  I will probably miss the start of the Georgia game today and I don't really care.  These are glorified exhibitions.  They mean nothing.  I have no issue with guys sitting out a glorified exhibition to get ready for the draft.  But when you add the portal guys to the mix, it has gotten out of hand.

The Ga.-FSU game is going to be a mess because of this nonsense.

I don’t know if it’s accurate, but I read on a Syracuse board that FSU will be without 50 players?

They don’t seem to care about this game, and are probably there just for the payday. They seem to have bigger fish to fry now that they’ve filed a suit to get out of the ACC.

College sports are such a mess right now, and it looks like it’s going to get worse. At least you root for one of the have’s. From everything I’ve read, the ACC is in big trouble, and Syracuse might be left without a seat at the table if they can’t get into a watered down Big 12.

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

The Ga.-FSU game is going to be a mess because of this nonsense.

I don’t know if it’s accurate, but I read on a Syracuse board that FSU will be without 50 players?

I don't know about 50 guys, but Rademacher is transferring, so they are down to Brock Glenn again.  Jared Verse and Keon Coleman are sitting out.  We have lost a bunch of depth guys to the portal, but most of our draft eligible guys are planning to play.  Even Brock Bowers who has been rehabbing his ankle injury is supposedly going to play.  At least he has been practicing with the team all week.  He has done enough for this program and has nothing more to prove.  He should sit out, get healthy and get ready for the draft.

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Networks (usually ESPN) get programming and sponsors get name recognition. A bad bowl game still brings higher ratings than an NBA or NHL game, so yes, people still care.

The people who should care, the players and their teams, don’t care. Let ESPN make donations to the general academic funds of the schools who would be playing in these events. 

Just now, Lith said:

I don't know about 50 guys, but Rademacher is transferring, so they are down to Brock Glenn again.  Jared Verse and Keon Coleman are sitting out.  We have lost a bunch of depth guys to the portal, but most of our draft eligible guys are planning to play.  Even Brock Bowers who has been rehabbing his ankle injury is supposedly going to play.  At least he has been practicing with the team all week.  He has done enough for this program and has nothing more to prove.  He should sit out, get healthy and get ready for the draft.

Your Dawgs have picked up a lot of new fans after all the help your HC gave the Orange both during and after we hired Fran Brown. He’s a class act, and a lot of us will be rooting for Georgia in the SEC going forward.

(of course that’s only until Fran gets us into the playoff and we butt heads with you) 😜

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, section314 said:

The people who should care, the players and their teams, don’t care. Let ESPN make donations to the general academic funds of the schools who would be playing in these events. 

I get what you’re saying, but it’s only the kids who skip the games who don’t care. The rest of them do. (BTW MHJ impressed me by showing up at the Cotton Bowl last night even though he sat out)

I guess you didn’t watch Clemson yesterday, or UofA Thursday, or Missouri last night. They cared. UNC fans packed their bowl game (albeit in Charlotte) so they cared.