Which of these veteran LTs would you choose?

bonkertons

Who would want to come here and play for Saleh?  He kept the leagues worst QB starting.  Until they jettison Zach, we aren't attracting anybody except loafers like Cook and Tomlinson.
That moment is coming ... He may be cut outright following the season or held onto till the draft.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

This. The first 3 should not be seriously discussed. It would be like eating 3 chilidogs and getting back on the tilta-whirl 10 minutes after you just yacked up the first 3 chilidogs you ate while riding the tilta-whirl.

We are inevitably going to get Bakhtiari. This franchise never learns from its mistakes under Woody

• Upvote 2

On 12/29/2023 at 11:05 AM, bonkertons said:

Assuming we miss out on Alt and Fashanu.  Those are the only two guys who could step right from the draft to day-one starters.  

If you're not sure if you'll be able to draft one, you'll have to sign one during the FA period.  As far as I can tell, these will most likely be the options:

David Bakhtiari, 32 - GB (will likely be cut after this most recent season ending injury)

Tyron Smith, 33 - DAL

Jonah Williams, 26 - CIN

Trent Brown, 30 - NE

Mike Onwenu, 26 - NE (has been better at RT, but he can at least play LT and has some upside there)

These would be the main contenders.  No one will trade a starting LT, so it'll have to be one of these guys.  Williams is an interesting one.  He was a LT but got bounced to the right side after Cincy signed Orlando Brown.  Onwenu I would assume will be re-signed by New England, but if he isn't it'll probably be because he prices himself out.  I'd be hesitant to pay a guy like him $15M over 4 years or whatever it ends up being.  

I think the play would be to go for one of the 1 year guys, either Bakhtiari or Smith.  Worst case they buy you a season and you can look to draft your long-term player in 2025(or not, if Warren takes some big strides).  Best case, you sign one and STILL are able to draft Alt or Fashanu.  Having a guy like that on a one year deal shouldn't prevent you from drafting either of these kids.  Worst case you have a $10M depth tackle for one year, much like Brown was this year - only this new OT will actually be able to play at a decent level.

My gut says it'll be Bakhtiari.  He's ARod's boy, and I'd imagine he'll come pretty cheaply to reunite with his BFF.  That cheap contract should allow us to do some things elsewhere, be it sign or trade for an expensive WR as well as pay Huff.  Maybe address DT2 as well.  He's a bigger health risk than Becton and AVT combined, so you'll absolutely need to build up your depth accordingly, but it wouldn't be the worst move in the world - at least if the plan is to bring in a one year stopgap.  

Fuaga can p[robably be drafted at our current slot. He has never let up a sack through  his college career. Coule make a good right tackle who could possibly move to LT

Assuming we miss out on Alt and Fashanu.  Those are the only two guys who could step right from the draft to day-one starters.  

If you're not sure if you'll be able to draft one, you'll have to sign one during the FA period.  As far as I can tell, these will most likely be the options:

David Bakhtiari, 32 - GB (will likely be cut after this most recent season ending injury)

Tyron Smith, 33 - DAL

Jonah Williams, 26 - CIN

Trent Brown, 30 - NE

Mike Onwenu, 26 - NE (has been better at RT, but he can at least play LT and has some upside there)

These would be the main contenders.  No one will trade a starting LT, so it'll have to be one of these guys.  Williams is an interesting one.  He was a LT but got bounced to the right side after Cincy signed Orlando Brown.  Onwenu I would assume will be re-signed by New England, but if he isn't it'll probably be because he prices himself out.  I'd be hesitant to pay a guy like him $15M over 4 years or whatever it ends up being.  

I think the play would be to go for one of the 1 year guys, either Bakhtiari or Smith.  Worst case they buy you a season and you can look to draft your long-term player in 2025(or not, if Warren takes some big strides).  Best case, you sign one and STILL are able to draft Alt or Fashanu.  Having a guy like that on a one year deal shouldn't prevent you from drafting either of these kids.  Worst case you have a $10M depth tackle for one year, much like Brown was this year - only this new OT will actually be able to play at a decent level.

My gut says it'll be Bakhtiari.  He's ARod's boy, and I'd imagine he'll come pretty cheaply to reunite with his BFF.  That cheap contract should allow us to do some things elsewhere, be it sign or trade for an expensive WR as well as pay Huff.  Maybe address DT2 as well.  He's a bigger health risk than Becton and AVT combined, so you'll absolutely need to build up your depth accordingly, but it wouldn't be the worst move in the world - at least if the plan is to bring in a one year stopgap.  

Trent Brown.  If they can't get him. Owenu.   Love to get them both.  Having said that, it is almost a certainty that Rodgers will sign Bakhtiari.

• Upvote 2

Tyron Smith, 33 - DAL

Jonah Williams, 26 - CIN

Trent Brown, 30 - NE

No to Bahktiari, no more of A-Rods over the hill gang. Get a good O line coach and Carter Warren could start if both top guys are gone.

• Upvote 1

As others have said, kind of imagine it’ll be Bakhtiari. Hard to see him wanting to play somewhere as much as the Jets and hard to imagine another team wanting him as much as the Jets do.

In that sense it reminds me of the Dalvin Cook situation this offseason (only Bakhtiari makes more sense roster wise). Cook got a lot more than I thought was justifiable, so while Bakhtiari should come cheap since the Jets will likely be bidding against themselves he might be more expensive than we’d expect.

Also as others have said, there are major injury concerns. I’d think the goal would be to have someone who’s a starting caliber player with LT/RT versatility on the other side heading into the draft - which is a big ask. My guess is Yosh Nijman gets that role, they draft someone with their first or second pick, and there’s a little competition with the draft pick for RT with the loser functioning as quality depth.

I think Carter Warren is a reasonable swing tackle option if you’ve got two reasonably healthy tackles which makes him a decent option as a fourth tackle if there’s (justifiable) worry about Bakhtiari.