Bryce Huff: “I want to find a scheme that uses me as an every down player”

I think this is the clear case where Saleh has to take some responsibility in this.  It was Saleh who treated Huff like a camp body and making him play every pre season game and late into all those games probably making Huff think he may be cut and maybe Saleh was thinking that too.  If nothing else this may have motivated Huff more than anything to want to get out of dodge.

On 1/19/2024 at 12:04 AM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Let's. Not pretend one prevents the other or dependent on the other. I wish we locked him up too, but McDonald has nothing to do with it.

That’s not true, McDonald is on the roster and plays the same position as huff. The jets only have so much money they can spend this year in FA. Having McDonald means that, at least in theory, we don’t have an immediate need at DE. Had we not drafted McDonald, him leaving in FA would create a need. McDonald being on the roster, with his upside, makes huff expendable. With so many holes on the O line, it would make sense to let McDonald take over the huff role, and spend money on the o-line and WR.

Bottom line... Old McDonald better make an impact this coming season. If not, and he's another "DPR" part time guy with less impact in a low snap count than Huff, the pick and decision not to sign Huff will go down as yet another massive miscalculation for the Yets.

3 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Will McDonald pick looking better and better...

I think the smart answer here is:

• McDonald starts training and plays more downs, run and pass, next year.
  • Huff walks and we take the 3rd round comp pick next year.
    • It would be a big gamble to tag Huff and then look to trade him.   But I would rather lose and pay him than pay Mosley.
  • Mosley and JFM restructure to actually reduce the amount they are paid, not defer money.
  • Upvote 1

Somehow, the coaching staff and front office failed to realize how good Huff was last year (absolutely no excuse for that) and bungled up the entire thing. They could have extended him for much cheaper at the end of last year and used their draft pick on an actual area of need. It's a major error by JD. I'm still in the boat of trade JFM for whatever you can and put his money toward Huff. You don't let an elite, 25 year old pass rusher walk.