Tyron Smith Will Become FA

On 3/2/2024 at 1:01 PM, Beerfish said:

But that is the grand problem in free agency.

If you want to go get a tackle in FA he will have issues, olienman with no issues never make it to FA.

Exactly.  If you want a guy who is a safe bet to play at a high level, you're going to be taking one of these injury risk OTs.  If you want a guy who isn't an injury risk, you're probably looking at handing out a BIG contract for a guy like Onwenu, which is a risk in itself, or Jonah Williams who sucks.  Aside from that you're looking at under the radar, scrap heap type signings, which I think we'd all be pretty frustrated with.

I think having Warren makes me a little more willing to risk it on a guy with injury concerns.  I liked what I saw from him last year at LT.  The hope would be your signing plays a good chunk of the start of the year, and if he goes down it would be later in the season, giving Warren a bit more time to develop. 

Ideally though it's a free agent LT and then Fuaga at 10.  Considering how weak the WR market looks though now that Evans is re-signed, I really wouldn't be surprised to see us solve both OT spots in free agency and use that #10(or trade down) pick on a weapon.  That might be the safer play, and IMO is probably more of a "win now" strategy than relying on a rookie OT to help us go on a deep run.  I think you have a better chance of seeing a rookie WR/Bowers do that(see Garrett Wilson's rookie year).  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Exactly.  If you want a guy who is a safe bet to play at a high level, you're going to be taking one of these injury risk OTs.  If you want a guy who isn't an injury risk, you're probably looking at handing out a BIG contract for a guy like Onwenu, which is a risk in itself, or Jonah Williams who sucks.  Aside from that you're looking at under the radar, scrap heap type signings, which I think we'd all be pretty frustrated with.

I think having Warren makes me a little more willing to risk it on a guy with injury concerns.  I liked what I saw from him last year at LT.  The hope would be your signing plays a good chunk of the start of the year, and if he goes down it would be later in the season, giving Warren a bit more time to develop. 

Ideally though it's a free agent LT and then Fuaga at 10.  Considering how weak the WR market looks though now that Evans is re-signed, I really wouldn't be surprised to see us solve both OT spots in free agency and use that #10(or trade down) pick on a weapon.  That might be the safer play, and IMO is probably more of a "win now" strategy than relying on a rookie OT to help us go on a deep run.  I think you have a better chance of seeing a rookie WR/Bowers do that(see Garrett Wilson's rookie year).  

Oh my God.  Huge pass on Jonah.  He is garbage 

15 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

One of the things I posted in the Russell Wilson thread is the possibility of trading with Denver allowing them to move up from 12 to 10 for a QB (if available). If we could get Sutton in that deal (no picks) and take one of the OTs at 12, then it is a win-win.

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You can try it - he's more of a RT than a LT though. Played a couple seasons at LT for the Pats but the most and best years of his career were at RT.

Carter Warren is actually better at LT than RT.  You could just sign Brown or Onwenu and put them at RT

LG is actually just as big a need which is why I want Zeitler 

3 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

One of the things I posted in the Russell Wilson thread is the possibility of trading with Denver allowing them to move up from 12 to 10 for a QB (if available). If we could get Sutton in that deal (no picks) and take one of the OTs at 12, then it is a win-win.

If you can actually get him just by moving down 2 spots then yeah it's pretty much a no-brainer unless a guy like Alt is somehow still on the board.  

It’s not often that, by all counts, a top 10 OT becomes available in free agency, with such a dropoff to the next best available tackle. There isn’t anyone close to his talent. 

I think Smith should be our priority in free agency. Then, if Alt is there, we draft him too. But it gives us flexibility, just in case one of Nabers/Odunze drops to us instead. 

IMG_4162.jpeg