Would you rather be the Jets or the Chargers right now?

Keep the Jets or swap with the Chargers?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Jets/Chargers swap

• Jets
    • Chargers

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

MGM: Chargers +4000,  Jets +2200
Draft Kings: Chargers +3500, Jets +2000

I put a token bet on the Jets last month at +2500.

As a resident of CT I get to chose between FanDuel (Mohegan Sun) and Draft Kings (Foxwoods.) I think there may be one more now.

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

And the Chargers have a great record of exceeding expectations 😅 

My site is the Mohegan sports book it CT. If you are that confident about the Chargers I'd look to get a bet in at +4000. I wouldn't touch the Chargers at +2500. That's an awful bet.

i think the jets have a better chance this year.  i don't think the chargers are a good bet this year.  and based on the odds you posted above, IF i was looking at a long-shot, i'd go with cleveland.

however, the context of this discussion isn't just 2024.  it is would i rather be sitting with the chargers roster/coaches or the jets roster/coaches.  i think the assumption is you would  be in the AFC East, thus rendering the "chiefs factor" moot.

and largely because of the coaches and the respective ages of the QBs, i think i would pick the chargers.  herbert is 26.  at that point, rodgers wasn't hall of famer aaron rodgers.  he was a pretty good 3rd year starter (granted he sat behind favre to start his career, so not apples-to-apples comparison with herbert).  so having a young QB who has shown he can play in the league, and having what i think is an excellent head coach, i'd prefer that over the better jets roster with a 40 year old rodgers coming off an achillies injury who could retire at any moment and robert saleh as head coach.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetblue95 said:

i think the jets have a better chance this year.  i don't think the chargers are a good bet this year.  and based on the odds you posted above, IF i was looking at a long-shot, i'd go with cleveland.

however, the context of this discussion isn't just 2024.  it is would i rather be sitting with the chargers roster/coaches or the jets roster/coaches.  i think the assumption is you would  be in the AFC East, thus rendering the "chiefs factor" moot.

and largely because of the coaches and the respective ages of the QBs, i think i would pick the chargers.  herbert is 26.  at that point, rodgers wasn't hall of famer aaron rodgers.  he was a pretty good 3rd year starter (granted he sat behind favre to start his career, so not apples-to-apples comparison with herbert).  so having a young QB who has shown he can play in the league, and having what i think is an excellent head coach, i'd prefer that over the better jets roster with a 40 year old rodgers coming off an achillies injury who could retire at any moment and robert saleh as head coach.

I disagree but I respect your opinion 👍

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Scenario: Genie pops out of a lamp and offers you a choice—You can either keep everyone currently on the Jets payroll (players, coaching staff, personnel dept, marketing and PR dept, ownership *or* you can swap it all for the Chargers payroll (players, coaches, etc). If you choose to swap, no one knows it happened but you, and Harbaugh, Herbert, etc, all take the place of the Jets group in New Jersey. What do you do? 

It would’ve been nice to make the pole public. See who voted which way without having to go through the entire thread.

• Upvote 1

Just now, bicketybam said:

I disagree but I respect your opinion 👍

enjoyed the back-and-forth

just one last thing to ponder - answer these questions:

In 2025, the QB and head coach of the chargers will be?  

In 2025, the QB and head coach of the jets will be?

i can answer the former with a pretty high degree of confidence.  not sure i can say the same about the latter.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

For those saying they would take SD's roster over NYJs.  Once you stop sniffing glue long enough, take a look around the league at what neutral sites say.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-roster-rankings-all-32-teams-2024-strengths-weaknesses-x-factors

Jets: 4.  Chargers: 26

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-roster-rankings-2024-excluding-qb/

Jets: 4, Chargers: 30

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-top-10-most-complete-teams-for-2024-season

Jets: 10, Chargers: not listed

Now one thing I can say confidently is that none of these sites have any history of being kind to the Jets.  So when they consistently rank NYJ ahead of SD, it's because they believe it.

What I have not seen, anywhere, at any point this offseason, is anyone ranking SD top-10.  That teams has about 5 stars (Herbert, Bosa, Mack, James, Slater) and a pile of guys you have never heard of for good reason.  With Allen, Williams, and Ekeler gone, they don't have a single recognizable name in their skill positions.  It's similar malpractice to their QB that we employed a few years back (and many years before that).  

If you want to pine over DET, SF, PHI, or a few other teams' rosters, go right ahead.  But SD is not the hill to die on.

For those saying they would take SD's roster over NYJs.  Once you stop sniffing glue long enough, take a look around the league at what neutral sites say.

The main difference is that SD has a young (potential) FQB, whereas the Jets have a 40+ year old coming off a major injury. That plus the Chargers have a way better HC than we have.  Those are 2 of the most important pieces.  But realistically, if it was Patrick Mahomes instead of Herbert (but the rest was everything else Chargers), what would you think then?

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The main difference is that SD has a young (potential) FQB, whereas the Jets have a 40+ year old coming off a major injury. That plus the Chargers have a way better HC than we have.  Those are 2 of the most important pieces.  But realistically, if it was Patrick Mahomes instead of Herbert (but the rest was everything else Chargers), what would you think then?

You're saying you would decrease the skill at 21 (maybe 19-20) positions in order to get the young, stud QB in.  I get it.  We have wanted that QB for a long time now.  But Herbert can not and will not win a SB with that roster.  Maybe in a year or two if they can shuffle enough pieces.

Mahomes/Reid is something else.  They are literally magicians.  Doing it without Tyreek was impressive.  They do have a few studs.  Chris Jones, Travis Kelce.  Pacheco is not Breece but he's pretty damned good.  But yeah, overall their roster is impressively unimpressive.  Mahomes is really just another level.  Before it's all done, barring injury, he will blast through every record in the books.  So yeah, I would strongly consider that swap if Reid came with him.

23 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

i can answer the former with a pretty high degree of confidence.  not sure i can say the same about the latter.

If the Jets come up short in the AFC championship game or the SB it will be Rodgers and Saleh. If they win it all it will be Saleh and a mercenary. If they flame out, then who knows? But you are taking about a coach after 4 years and a coach after 1 year. And who knows what Harbaugh will do with Herbert if he regresses for 5th straight year.

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

If the Jets come up short in the AFC championship game or the SB it will be Rodgers and Saleh. If they win it all it will be Saleh and a mercenary. If they flame out, then who knows? But you are taking about a coach after 4 years and a coach after 1 year. And who knows what Harbaugh will do with Herbert if he regresses for 5th straight year.

i'm talking about sitting here today.  and chances are, anything short of a playoff run likely means the jets have a new coach and a new QB.

and herbert would have like $110MM of dead money if the chargers move on from him after this year.  jim is a bit crazy, but he's not nuts 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-roster-rankings-all-32-teams-2024-strengths-weaknesses-x-factors

Jets: 4.  Chargers: 26

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-roster-rankings-2024-excluding-qb/

Jets: 4, Chargers: 30

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-top-10-most-complete-teams-for-2024-season

Jets: 10, Chargers: not listed

Now one thing I can say confidently is that none of these sites have any history of being kind to the Jets.  So when they consistently rank NYJ ahead of SD, it's because they believe it.

What I have not seen, anywhere, at any point this offseason, is anyone ranking SD top-10.  That teams has about 5 stars (Herbert, Bosa, Mack, James, Slater) and a pile of guys you have never heard of for good reason.  With Allen, Williams, and Ekeler gone, they don't have a single recognizable name in their skill positions.  It's similar malpractice to their QB that we employed a few years back (and many years before that).  

If you want to pine over DET, SF, PHI, or a few other teams' rosters, go right ahead.  But SD is not the hill to die on.

If you are strictly asking what roster/coach you want for the 2024 season? Then it’s the Jets. Of course. But the OP’s question goes beyond that. Rodgers is 40. How many good years does he have left? How many years does he actually play? What are your expectations at QB after Rodgers?

It’s not unreasonable to assume that, after Rodgers, the Jets will be in QB hell again. So 2 or 3 very good years with Rodgers and 7 to 8 years of hell. Or 10 year of average years with a good QB? Assuming Herbert and the Chargers continue to be what they’ve been.

This debate is somewhat analogous to the Rodgers vs Eli debate. There are some parallels. 

3 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

i'm talking about sitting here today.  and chances are, anything short of a playoff run likely means the jets have a new coach and a new QB.

and herbert would have like $110MM of dead money if the chargers move on from him after this year.  jim is a bit crazy, but he's not nuts 

The Chargers roster is pretty devoid of talent at the skill positions compared to the Jets. There is a good chance they labor on with a good but not great QB and never get past a wild card spot. For the umoteenth time, I'll take the much more talented roster of young players and the Jets. 

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

If you are strictly asking what roster/coach you want for the 2024 season? Then it’s the Jets. Of course. But the OP’s question goes beyond that. Rodgers is 40. How many good years does he have left? How many years does he actually play? What are your expectations at QB after Rodgers?

It’s not unreasonable to assume that, after Rodgers, the Jets will be in QB hell again. So 2 or 3 very good years with Rodgers and 7 to 8 years of hell. Or 10 year of average years with a good QB? Assuming Herbert and the Chargers continue to be what they’ve been.

This debate is somewhat analogous to the Rodgers vs Eli debate. There are some parallels. 

Why is it 7-8 years of hell? I highly doubt Harbaugh is around 5 years from now let alone 10. He's going to get sick of getting his ass kicked my Mahomes and the Chiefs.

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Why is it 7-8 years of hell? I highly doubt Harbaugh is around 5 years from now let alone 10. He's going to get sick of getting his ass kicked my Mahomes and the Chiefs.

Because I’m a Jets fan and know how good we are at drafting QBs. Last year we had an excellent defense and a horrible QB. Finished 7-9. That was painful to watch. The QB has the ball most of the time and makes the decision on half the offensive plays. That’s who the cameras are on and who fans tend to watch.

There are the few fans who like to watch OL on all-22 film. They’re different.

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

Because I’m a Jets fan and know how good we are at drafting QBs. Last year we had an excellent defense and a horrible QB. Finished 7-9. That was painful to watch. The QB has the ball most of the time and makes the decision on half the offensive plays. That’s who the cameras are on and who fans tend to watch.

There are the few fans who like to watch OL on all-22 film. They’re different.

7-10 and ok. Makes sense 🤷

4 hours ago, jetblue95 said:

The question basically boils down to would you rather definitely be a super bowl contender (one of the top 8-10 teams) for one or two years, or have a CHANCE to build a team that will be a super bowl contender for twice as long, or longer.

I think there are good arguments to be made for the later. But, as a Jets fan who hasn’t “seen” a super bowl since he was in the first year of his life, I’ll take the former. A lot still needs to go right for the Chargers to even get where the Jets are today, and a lot more needs to go right for them to build a perennial contender for half a decade or more.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GreenFish said:

The savior is coming...

ArchManning.jpg.78e0ccac7dcb2e9b67f3282859f40372.jpg

• Haha 2