Early 2025 QB Scouting

Good article over on CBS

Was actually most intrigued by their description of Drew Allar:

9. Drew Allar (Penn State)

• Height: 6-foot-5 | Weight: 238 pounds
  • Accolades/notable statistics: One of two FBS QBs all-time to throw for 25 or more pass TD (25) and 2 or fewer INT (2) in a season in 2023 (also Tennessee's Hendon Hooker in 2022), ranked second in FBS in TD-INT in 2023 behind only Bo Nix's 45-3
  • Rick Spielman's comp: New England Patriots backup QB Joe Milton III
  • Games to circle: vs. Ohio State  (Nov. 2), vs. Washington (Nov. 9)
  • Draft range: Fourth through fifth round

Final thoughts

Drew Allar is reminiscent to J.J. McCarthy up to this point as a prospect in that his offense hasn't asked him to carry much responsibility with his arm. Penn State's offense was incredibly conservative in 2022, something that is crystal clear in Allar's air yards per pass metric: his 7.3 air yards per pass attempt ranked 98th out of 110 qualified FBS quarterbacks in 2023.  

It wasn't that he was afraid to throw the ball, it's just he didn't have a lot of dynamic options to throw to a year ago. Allar possesses the ideal NFL body type for the quarterback position with a massive arm, and he doesn't turn the ball over as evidenced by his touchdown to interception ratio of 25-2, the second-best in college football. However, the accuracy is a question mark. Allar has yet to average at least 60% in the completion percentage department. That's simply not going to work in the NFL. Maybe he needs another year or two of seasoning at the collegiate level. 

Full piece: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2025-nfl-draft-prospect-primer-next-donovan-mcnabb-ranking-qbs-to-watch-plus-pro-comparisons-and-more/

Seems like a very worthy high-upside dart throw in that projected draft range. Thoughts?

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

As long as he doesn't talk about how he modeled his game after Christian Hackenburg it's worth a flyer. Gotta at some point and some time do anything. 

I still can't get over this guy talking up Christian Hackenberg.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I still can't get over this guy talking up Christian Hackenberg.

Within 2 minutes of the pick. I got three text from 3 different friend that graduate PSU. They all said the same thing WTF LOL?  Yep.

• Haha 1

I really dont think Allaire would benefit by coming out early unless he has some insane season. He only has one year of starting experience and didnt really throw all that much. Hes also learning a new offense this year and likely would benefit from playing 2 full years and then entering the league. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2024 at 9:44 PM, Grandy said:

Some good guys to monitor. I feel like someone like Ewers could really breakout this year.

Also with all these qbs taken in round 1 the past few years and others locked up in big contracts there aren’t many teams ready to go qb round 1, so really unless the jets advance deep into the playoffs they should have a shot at one of the top prospects.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2024 at 8:38 AM, Augustiniak said:

Also with all these qbs taken in round 1 the past few years and others locked up in big contracts there aren’t many teams ready to go qb round 1, so really unless the jets advance deep into the playoffs they should have a shot at one of the top prospects.  

This is really an excellent point.  The way I see it is these are the teams that could use a high pick on a QB

Titans

Giants

Raiders

Saints

Rams 

Bucs

Seahawks

Hopefully Rattler can play a bit this year and take the saints out of it and if Stafford stays healthy and Bennet can show something they could be out too.  Really presents a good opportunity to take a QB for us next year.

On 8/2/2024 at 7:41 PM, BCJet said:

This is really an excellent point.  The way I see it is these are the teams that could use a high pick on a QB

Titans

Giants

Raiders

Saints

Rams 

Bucs

Seahawks

Hopefully Rattler can play a bit this year and take the saints out of it and if Stafford stays healthy and Bennet can show something they could be out too.  Really presents a good opportunity to take a QB for us next year.

I wonder when the Browns can get out from under Watson. Steelers don’t have a long term answer. Cowboys with Dak as a FA though he may knock another spot off the list.

8 hours ago, derp said:

I wonder when the Browns can get out from under Watson. Steelers don’t have a long term answer. Cowboys with Dak as a FA though he may knock another spot off the list.

Even if he was designated post June 1 cut Watson carries a $109 million cap hit in 2025 and $63 million in 2026.

Good call on the Steelers, they will need to do something unless Fields really shows out.

If the cowboys lose Dak, that just means he does to one of the teams we mentioned which removes that team from the list. 

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Even if he was designated post June 1 cut Watson carries a $109 million cap hit in 2025 and $63 million in 2026.

Good call on the Steelers, they will need to do something unless Fields really shows out.

If the cowboys lose Dak, that just means he does to one of the teams we mentioned which removes that team from the list. 

If he keeps playing as he has they may need to take one to upgrade and potentially open up the rookie window. But probably a year off.

Said the same about Dak in my post. Already speculation Deion may try to push his son that way.

1 hour ago, derp said:

If he keeps playing as he has they may need to take one to upgrade and potentially open up the rookie window. But probably a year off.

Said the same about Dak in my post. Already speculation Deion may try to push his son that way.

I keep forgetting about Shadeur and hopefully he has a good enough season that he helps our cause by being picked in the top 10 and letting a better prospect fall to us.  Maybe the kid can play, but so much about the position is leadership, decision making, and intangibles that I have no interest in having him be the face of an NFL franchise.