No welcome Matt in sight

Smizzy

No welcome Matt in sight

It appears unlikely Mangini & Mike will go for Leinart or any QB

BY KEN BERGER

Newsday Staff Writer

April 25, 2006

Nothing would make Jets fans gathered at Radio City Music Hall for the NFL draft Saturday cheer louder than the following words from commissioner Paul Tagliabue's mouth: "With the fourth pick in the 2006 NFL draft, the New York Jets select ... Matt Leinart, quarterback, USC."

With the latest predraft smokescreens swirling around what promises to be one of the most unpredictable top 10s in recent memory, there is every chance that a proven, championship-caliber quarterback such as Leinart or Vince Young of Texas could be available to the Jets if they stay put at No. 4.

It seems to be a foregone conclusion that the third member of the so-called "Big Three," Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler, also will be there for the taking.

The pressure will be nothing short of excruciating for Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum and head coach Eric Mangini, who will hear the first boos of their young tenure if they pass on any of the above.

"I know there will be a lot of anxious fans at Radio City Music Hall, and a couple of .anxious fans in Roslyn," said Tannenbaum, the latter reference to his family. "We'll make the best decision for the team."

Based on what several people with knowledge of the Jets' strategy have been saying for days, it seems highly unlikely that the Jets will use the first pick to select a quarterback. And if you listen to the widely divergent scouting reports on the top quarterbacks available, it's easy to understand why.

Mike Mayock, a former draft pick of the Steelers who also played for the Giants, is now billed as the NFL Network's "draft expert." He has been on record since last September that Cutler will be the best pro quarterback to come out of this draft.

"I threw on a couple of September tapes and a couple of his junior tapes, and I fell over," Mayock said last week on a conference call with reporters. "I couldn't believe the arm strength, the release, the toughness. What really stood out to me . . . the fact that he stood in there, got smacked in the face and consistently .delivered the football ... Four years from now, you're going to look back and see that this kid is the best of the three."

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr., who has spent the last 28 years scouting the draft, is widely regarded as the most astute prognosticator of such things. Also on a conference call last week, Kiper openly scoffed at Mayock and anyone else who would rank .Cutler No. 1 in this class.

"Overhyped is the word," Kiper said. "While I think he's deserving of being a pick, say, between 20 and 32, a mid-to-late first-round pick, I never thought he was as good as some advertised him to be ... To say he's better than Leinart or Young I think is absurd."

Welcome to the highly uncertain world of projecting college quarterbacks to the next level. Something to think about if -- or when -- the Jets pass on the "Big Three" in the first round.

Thoughts?

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr., who has spent the last 28 years scouting the draft, is widely regarded as the most astute prognosticator of such things.

:rolleyes: Now, if THAT isn't a credibilty killer..... When did anyone, EVER hear Kiper talk about looking at film? He doesn't. he memorizes bio's, and that makes him look smart. Then, he talks to HIS contacts, and comes up with a consesus based on very little input. Our beat writers once again show just how ignorant they really are.

PS: Ron Jaworski also rates Cutler at one. He is another guy that is a film hound, like Mayock. The guys who study film like Cutler.... the talking heads like anyone else, whoever.

It seems to me that Berger is putting his personal feelings into this article...in other words, he would boo if the Jets didn't choose a QB at 4. All he would have to do is surf any Jets fan forum and see that the majority of Jet fans would blow themselves up if they picked a QB with their first pick.

It seems to me that Berger is putting his personal feelings into this article...in other words, he would boo if the Jets didn't choose a QB at 4. All he would have to do is surf any Jets fan forum and see that the majority of Jet fans would blow themselves up if they picked a QB with their first pick.

That was not the first time I read a writer say there would be boos

if the jets didn't pick a QB with the 1st pick. I agree you don't see

it on the Jet boards. The fans that go to the draft are the ones

that are probably on the boards so I don't know how much booing

there's going to be if they don't pick a QB.

Although it wouldn't be my first option, I wouldn't be pissed if they drafted Leinart.

I'd throw up if they drafted Young.

I lean a little this way. There are other players I'd rather have them draft than Leinart, but to be "pissed" about it I would have to wait for Leinart to be a failure.

The reality, for the Jets, is that Leinart would be more successful elsewhere. Meadowlands, Foxboro, Buffalo - these are not good places for Leinart to succeed. If he goes to Tenn/Oak/Arizona or a dome team he'll probably do very well & many will be saying how "foolish" the Jets were for passing on him (or for not trading up to get him).

For me to be PISSED at the draft pick it would have to be:

- parting with #29 or #35 to move up for anyone. This draft is too deep & we have too many holes to be giving up a top-35 pick. Plus the exponential cap space a pick higher than #4 will eat up while we're still rebuilding.

- Vince Young with their first pick (at #4 or if they trade down a little)

- AJ Hawk - I know he's majorly talented, but this team has a bunch of OLB/ILB guys already (Barton, Chatham, Kassell, Hobson) and they're moving Thomas to OLB as well. There are a # of talented DE/OLB or guys they could take later to move to OLB later in the draft as well. Hawk is likely more talented than any of them, but the dropoff from Hawk to those guys will be a lot less than the dropoff of Mario to Jason Hatcher, Brick to McQuistan, Cutler to Croyle/Clemens, Ngata to Montavious Stanley, etc.

i have no particular facts or insider info to back this statement up: but my gut says they are going to pick one of these three players: Brick, Cutler and Ngata.

Personally i'd be pleased with any of the three.

I'd be happy with any of those three, too.

For all the draft speculation on this board, why is it that Ngata barely gets a mention?

With a likely heavy dose of 3-4 looks, Ngata even makes, dare I say, more sense than Hawk?

"Dear God, forgive me for saying that, I know not of which I speak. I know you know Hawk's a f-ing beast, O Lord."

I lean a little this way. There are other players I'd rather have them draft than Leinart, but to be "pissed" about it I would have to wait for Leinart to be a failure.

The reality, for the Jets, is that Leinart would be more successful elsewhere. Meadowlands, Foxboro, Buffalo - these are not good places for Leinart to succeed. If he goes to Tenn/Oak/Arizona or a dome team he'll probably do very well & many will be saying how "foolish" the Jets were for passing on him (or for not trading up to get him).

For me to be PISSED at the draft pick it would have to be:

- parting with #29 or #35 to move up for anyone. This draft is too deep & we have too many holes to be giving up a top-35 pick. Plus the exponential cap space a pick higher than #4 will eat up while we're still rebuilding.

- Vince Young with their first pick (at #4 or if they trade down a little)

- AJ Hawk - I know he's majorly talented, but this team has a bunch of OLB/ILB guys already (Barton, Chatham, Kassell, Hobson) and they're moving Thomas to OLB as well. There are a # of talented DE/OLB or guys they could take later to move to OLB later in the draft as well. Hawk is likely more talented than any of them, but the dropoff from Hawk to those guys will be a lot less than the dropoff of Mario to Jason Hatcher, Brick to McQuistan, Cutler to Croyle/Clemens, Ngata to Montavious Stanley, etc.

i'm goin against the grain of humor & giving this a potw nom

solid post sperm, makes a lot of sense to me

Although it wouldn't be my first option, I wouldn't be pissed if they drafted Leinart.

I'd throw up if they drafted Young.

Especially if both Leinert, D'Brick & Young were available at #4 & especially if we traded with the Raiders just because of it.

Then Joe, you me & Mike Green would be grabbing a pitchfork & a torch & making a way toward the Jets desk 1st & then heading off to Hostra!

:cheers:

i have no particular facts or insider info to back this statement up: but my gut says they are going to pick one of these three players: Brick, Cutler and Ngata.

We are almost on the same page here. I think they go with DBrick, Davis, Cutler. I know you dont think Davis will make history with the Jets first round pick, but after all he is the fastest TE to ever enter the draft. Think about it that way.

Gates, I believe, has changed the way much of the NFL looks at the TE position. Teams like SD and KC have shown that an explosive TE can save the passing game even with a marginal group of WR's. Of course, what has to be mentioned is that both of those teams have pretty good O lines, to say the least, and a pro bowl RB. If Winslow can ever get his head out of his arse, and play up to his pre-draft hype, I think TE's that are capable of stretching the field like this will be a regualr fixture in the top ten every year.

I would add Hawk to that list too.

Whoever they pick I'm confident they did their homework on that player and will be excited.

Gates, I believe, has changed the way much of the NFL looks at the TE position. Teams like SD and KC have shown that an explosive TE can save the passing game even with a marginal group of WR's. Of course, what has to be mentioned is that both of those teams have pretty good O lines, to say the least, and a pro bowl RB. If Winslow can ever get his head out of his arse, and play up to his pre-draft hype, I think TE's that are capable of stretching the field like this will be a regualr fixture in the top ten every year.

credit where credit is due...... pats showed flashes of great versatility in the passing game by utilizing their te's more. their o is gonna be tough to slow down this year because of their strong te situation

Archived