Brad Smith RB

SoFlaJets

I agree with SE, there are plenty of talented college RB's and WR's that could've been taken ahead of Mike Robinson and Smith, by the 49ers and Jets.

Plus, what happened to Reggie McNeal?

Smith's advisor Corby Jones (a former Mizzu QB) claims Smith will "fight a move away from QB", ala Eric Crouch....

Jones fought a move from QB in the mid 1990's and wound up in CFL.....He's begging Smith not to do the same, but Smith seems very releluctant to move.

Every article I read regarding Smith claims he wants no part of wr :bag:

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2006/Apr/20060430Spor001.asp

I'd have thought we had little or no chance at any of the guys I mentioned in the THIRD round. And we passed on all three in the FOURTH???

I was drooling over the thought of any of the 3 I mentioned. All positions of need. All of them 1st or 2nd round grades.

We still have a chance at Scott. Though it is going to be tough enough with two rookies on the OL. Three may be pushing it. But the thought of an OL with Brick & Scott at the tackles & Mangold at C I never would've passed on.

Plus we have no true NT and the 2nd-best one, who I wouldn't have been surprised to see go at #15, is there for us at #103 and we say "no thanks"? IMO even with the laziness rep, he's worth the risk every bit as much as Brad Smith or Eric Smith. If you can whip his head into shape you have a franchise NT - an absolute necessity for our 3-4 defense.

We had every bit of a chance to turn our OL into:

Brick

Kendall

Mangold

Jean-Gilles

Scott

Take a long look at that. It's as dominating of an OL as we could ever hope to have. And it was there for the taking...

and still end up with Clemens. Throw in Gabe Watson at #76. Plus if Mangini loved Schlegel/Eric Smith that much we likely could've still had them too with our late 4th and our 5th rounders if a pick that high was even necessary to secure one or both of them.

We could've had a perfect draft:

#4 Brick

#29 Mangold

#49 Clemens

#76 Watson

#97 Jean-Gilles

#103 Jon Scott

#117/#138 Schlegel/E.Smith/B.Smith

and pick EXPERIENCED skill guys at HB/WR/TE from free agency (with all the cap room we have) or with day-one picks in 2007.

gillies is not better than kendall right now...

we already drafted 2 O lineman..

You cant draft 1 position..

I love the 4th rd picks..these guys may turn out to be offensive weapons.

The o Line is set for this year..and has depth.

College QB who is going to be a WR in this league. Definitely not drafted for QB here with Pennington, Ramsey, Clemens and Bollinger all on the roster and Kingsbury in NFL E. I guess Mangini thinks he can make Smith a future 2 or 3 WR as he sits back at #5 on the depth chart.

I really really really do hate this pick along with the Eric Smith pick though. 4 out of the 6 good one's with 2 really ****ty one's. Although Brad Smith could proove both me and a lot of you wrong.

Forget QB or RB, Smith was definitely drafted to play wideout

Having said that, I have no problem with this pick ... I even like it ... Smith is a tremendous athlete, very competitive, tough as nails, and he has nice size for a WR {6' 2"/210} ... this is the "type of pick" that can turn into a steal ... not saying it will, remains to be seen, but all of the elements are there for Smith to make a successful transition to WR and turn into a Good One in due time, so I like the idea behind this pick

BTW, if you ever watched Missouri play football, and I have, you would know why I called Smith a tremendous athlete, competive, tough, etc ... he really is all of those things ... he may not run a 4.3 or 4.4 on the track, but he plays fast, VERY ELUSIVE, can break tackles, and I can see him using those skills to be a bigtime YAC MAN if he captures the nuances of WR

Lastly, this pick also follows the same theme for tangini ... Brad Smith is another high character guy who by all accounts {I have read} was beloved by his coaches and team-mates ... type of kid who will do anything to win ... I've seen him play a few times, this kid is relentless ... he'll never be a QB in the NFL, but I wouldn't be surprised if he turns into a Good WR

This pick follows the tradition of drafting exceptionally athletic college QB's, who don't have the passing skills for the pros, to play wideout at the next level ... Drew Pearson, Randel EL, Matt Jones, etc

Forget QB or RB, Smith was definitely drafted to play wideout

Having said that, I have no problem with this pick ... I even like it ... Smith is a tremendous athlete, very competitive, tough as nails, and he has nice size for a WR {6' 2"210} ... this is the "type of pick" that can turn into a steal ... not saying it will, remains to be seen, but all of the elements are there for Smith to make a successful transition to WR and turn into a Good One in due time, so I like the idea behind this pick

BTW, if you ever watched Missouri play football, and I have, you would know why I called Smith a tremendous athlete, competive, tough, etc ... he really is all of those things ... he may not run a 4.3 or 4.4 on the track, but he plays fast, is very elusive, can break tackles, and I can see him using those skills to be a bigtime YAC MAN if he captures the nuances of WR

Lastly, this pick also follows the same theme for tangini ... Brad Smith is another high character guy who by all accounts {I have read} was beloved by his coaches and team-mates ... type of kid who will do anything to win ... I've seen him play a few times, this kid is relentless ... he'll never be a QB in the NFL, but I wouldn't be surprised if he turns into a Good WR

and dont forget,, it allows the Jets in future to only carry 2 QBs onb active roster,,aka Pittsburgh with randalel fillin the 3rd backup QB role

I like the Brad Smith pick. I said it before I think, I think that if there is another guy to make the successful switch from college QB to nfl WR it will be Brad Smith - not Robinson, Vick or anyone else.

That being said, we need a dlineman now. Go with Montavious Stanley in the 5th rd here.

Sop Fish

Who are you thinking in the 5th

I was concerned for your welfare once Gilles and Watson went off

How about Johnny Jolley or the Kid From Colgate...Boothe

2 Fatties that will beef up the line

I have to be up front....I am not a college football fan, and I don't know players very well past say, the third round (if that). Since I didn;t go to a DI school, I don't have that built in "love" on my schools program, and the game itself. To me, it's just minor league football. So from here out, I have no idea other than positional preference (DT, TE, O-Line Project).

Yea, I was sad to see Gillies go to Phili (shows I think that Gillies isn;t so unworkable, as I respect Andy Reids football mind), but it does certainly seem Mangini feels we are good at OG right now. Heck, maybe we are (Kendall is fine IMO....Moore I don't know, maybe he's fine too with a better cast around him).

Archived