Jets Mt. Rushmore, you have 4 choices only

SouthernJet

Funny ...

Not one mention of Larry Grantham.

Named All-Pro 8 times with the Jets, the most of any Jets player in history.

I'd say Namath/Maynard/Grantham/Martin

and Klecko would be my 5th.

You got Larry mixed up with Winston Hill! Winnie was the 8 time all pro Larry made it 5 times!!;)

As a Jet fan who has been following then since Al Dorow was tossing the pigskin to Don Maynard-my nominees are

Leon Hess-one of the nicest most humble men I have ever met who stood back and supported the football organization without interference

Sonny Werblin who sustained the franchise when Wismer was on the financial brink and brought in the crown jewel that legitimized the AFL

Joe Namath-nuff said

Pick any one the following if we need one more-

Winston Hill, Don Maynard who was there early and helped make Namath a legend, Matt Snell, CMart, Schmidt and Fields. NO to Klecko who's off the field activities dont disqualify him from the football HOF but does from Rushmore

Namath and Maynard are no Brainers...Winston Hill and Snell/Klecko are tied for 4th...The reason I took Snell was he had 121 yds Rushing against the Number 1 rated Colt Defense in the NFL in 69..Of course he who farts dust did manage 14yds against the Bronco's in 98, but to me Snell's performance was better!!:rolleyes:

no ties dude, ,u get 4, ,who is it? snell or klecko,, only roo mfor 4 busts on the mountain,, u have to man up and pick 4, and only 4

As a Jet fan who has been following then since Al Dorow was tossing the pigskin to Don Maynard-my nominees are

Leon Hess-one of the nicest most humble men I have ever met who stood back and supported the football organization without interference

Sonny Werblin who sustained the franchise when Wismer was on the financial brink and brought in the crown jewel that legitimized the AFL

Joe Namath-nuff said

Pick any one the following if we need one more-

Winston Hill, Don Maynard who was there early and helped make Namath a legend, Matt Snell, CMart, Schmidt and Fields. NO to Klecko who's off the field activities dont disqualify him from the football HOF but does from Rushmore

u get 4, who is your 4th,, man up

no ties dude, ,u get 4, ,who is it? snell or klecko,, only roo mfor 4 busts on the mountain,, u have to man up and pick 4, and only 4

SJ you making the Rules now??:eek: Well since it's "Rushmore" I'll stick with the O and say Snell! He was the real MVP in Supe 3 even though Joe called a great game!!:cheers:

SJ you making the Rules now??:eek: Well since it's "Rushmore" I'll stick with the O and say Snell! He was the real MVP in Supe 3 even though Joe called a great game!!:cheers:

Savage, it has to be Hill...Snell isn't getting his 100 yards and Joe isn't standing in the pocket and Turner isn't making his 3 FG's if it weren't for Hill...8 time pro bowler with a ring...got to be Hill.

Savage, it has to be Hill...Snell isn't getting his 100 yards and Joe isn't standing in the pocket and Turner isn't making his 3 FG's if it weren't for Hill...8 time pro bowler with a ring...got to be Hill.

Hill was my 3rd after Joe and Don!! San Antonio screw your eyesight up Old Buddy??:P

I can't believe that Marvin Powell does not get more love here. At least more than Joe Fields.

And I believe that Fields was a great player and a great leader.

I just think Powell was the more dominant player at his position within the league and the team.

He was Scott!! Powell was one of our best of all time!!:cheers:

He was Scott!! Powell was one of our best of all time!!:cheers:

The Jets played a little dirty pool with Powell towards the end. They waived him just as he became the NFLPA President. His career was pretty much over then, but the Jets hated the union at that time.

Hess had some horrible council at that time, Kensil and Gutman chief to that.

The Jets played a little dirty pool with Powell towards the end. They waived him just as he became the NFLPA President. His career was pretty much over then, but the Jets hated the union at that time.

Hess had some horrible council at that time, Kensil and Gutman chief to that.

Is it me or do alot of Teams hate the Player rep's?? Mawae was the Jets rep was he not?? Your right though I remember that with Powell!!

Is it me or do alot of Teams hate the Player rep's?? Mawae was the Jets rep was he not?? Your right though I remember that with Powell!!

You are right on that.

Kensil came from the league office, and was pushed on the Jets, I believe kinda like Herm was. The league office was not big fans of unions, and I don't believe Kensil was either

You got Larry mixed up with Winston Hill! Winnie was the 8 time all pro Larry made it 5 times!!;)

I believe you're talking Pro-Bowl, not All-Pro (two different things). You are correct in that regard ... Grantham made the Pro Bowl 5 times.

But All-Pro is tougher to make. I believe Grantham was named All-Pro each year from 1960 to 1968.

Winston Hill, while making 8 Pro-Bowls, was only named All-Pro once in 1969.

I believe you're talking Pro-Bowl, not All-Pro (two different things). You are correct in that regard ... Grantham made the Pro Bowl 5 times.

But All-Pro is tougher to make. I believe Grantham was named All-Pro each year from 1960 to 1968.

Winston Hill, while making 8 Pro-Bowls, was only named All-Pro once in 1969.

Well in 65 ,67 and 68 he didn't make the Pro Bowl..Here's my link

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/GranLa00.htm

So are you saying you can make All-pro but not the Pro bowl?? Maybe since many of those stats were the AFL days things aren't quite what we think they are??:confused:

Well in 65 ,67 and 68 he didn't make the Pro Bowl..Here's my link

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/GranLa00.htm

So are you saying you can make All-pro but not the Pro bowl?? Maybe since many of those stats were the AFL days things aren't quite what we think they are??:confused:

Yeah, it's kind of strange.

All-Pro is/was an award that spans both AFC and NFC, where as ProBowl only means you're an All-Star in your conference.

For example Namath made All-Pro in 1967, 1968, 1969 and 1972 and made the Pro Bowl in 66,68,69,70, and 73 (at least according to a few sites I've seen).

He had a great year in the 1972 season and was hurt in 1973, so maybe the 73 Pro Bowl is identified as '73 because the game is played in February, but it was actually the '72 season?

Not sure.

Below is a site that identifies both "Pro Bowl" and All-Pro winners:

http://www.theganggreen.com/history/probowl.php

Can anybody elaborate on this more?

A lot of the players mentioned, even by me like Hill, Maynard and Snell were special players but hardly worth eternal enshrinement on "Jet Rushmore". I suggest we leave the fourth or fifth spot open for a true immortal.

• 7 years later...

Archived