Who are your top 5 offenses in football

StillerPaul

Just curious as to who you guys think are the top 5 offenses in football. Here are my rankings and reasons for rankings. In no particular order.

Indy Colts - While i think Peyton is more of a stat compiler, he does have some very good players surrounding him. Very good WR's, TE's and RB's make this team capable of putting up big numbers week after week.

Cincy Bengals - Carson, Chad, T.J and Rudy give this group one of the most feared offenses in the game. And they LOVE a shootout!

New England Patriots - With Tom Brady running the show, they can score on anybody as well. He's surrounded by some very nice weapons too!

Pittsburgh Steelers - Yeah, i can be a homer at times, no doubt. But Ben Roethlisberger is a very bright QB and he is also surrounded by homerun hitters. Willie Parker, Hines Ward, Cedric Wilson, and our newest addition, Santonio Holmes can all take it to the house on any given play. We also have a very athletic TE that has a knack for big plays in Heath Miller.

Denver Broncos - If this were last year, i'd have the KC Chiefs in this spot. But alot of you guys have me convinced that Hermy will run them into the ground, LOL. Denver has some nice weapons as well. They ALWAYS have a good run game, and they have upgraded their WR corps nicely recently as well. Jake Plummer can be mistake prone, but they have added Jay Cutler for competition and Mike Shanahan knows how to get the most out of his offenses.

So my top 5 offenses are all AFC teams. Seattle and Carolina would have cracked my top 5 but i don't trust Matt Hasselbeck and i don't believe that Jake Delhomme gets adequate protection and run game support needed.

I've mentioned all the skill players, but each of my top 5 has an above average to outstanding O-line as well.

Who would you guys rate as the top 5 offenses in the NFL?

1. Indianapolis

2. Cincinnati

3. New England

4. NY Giants

5. Carolina

Giants have Tiki Barber, Jeremy Shockey, Amani Toomer, Plaxico Burress and now Sinorice Moss for Eli Manning to get the ball too. That's deadly.

Now yes I know Carolina is known for their D but when healthy a RB duo of Williams and Foster is nasty and now with Smith having a very good #2 in Meshawn, the Panthers offense is set.

Stiller this season will be a good judge if your faith in Big Ben is rewarded. I am not saying he is over rated, but he is more untested due to the constraints of the Blitzburgh offense. I know Willie Parker was a big part of the offense, but I am curious how the offense works now inside the 20 without the Bus carrying that load. Now, the emphasis will be more on Ben to deliver. I think he is real good and I am curious of how good he could be in a relatively modern offense.

I would drop the Bengals out of the top 5. Palmer is coming back from an injury. And word from Cincy is that Palmer is having trust issues with the Center.

Apparently that whole cornhole scandal penetrated, I mean did more damage than anyone realized.

Hermy will have KC's offense in the bottom 25% of the league.

If that offense is not in the Top 5....man, that would just be terrible. If Larry Johnson is grinding out 4.2 ypc....oh boy.

I said this in other threads. Someday we will talk about Larry Johnson the same way we speak of Bo Jackson. What could have been!

Stiller this season will be a good judge if your faith in Big Ben is rewarded. I am not saying he is over rated, but he is more untested due to the constraints of the Blitzburgh offense. I know Willie Parker was a big part of the offense, but I am curious how the offense works now inside the 20 without the Bus carrying that load. Now, the emphasis will be more on Ben to deliver. I think he is real good and I am curious of how good he could be in a relatively modern offense.

Good point, PFSIKH. Duce Staley and Cedric Humes (rookie) will battle for the short yardage role. Ben has been clamouring for a more open offense and more control out there alot lately. I suspect that the way that we drafted means he may just get his wish. He was pretty effective inside the red zone passing during our last 8 games or so last year. But like you mentioned, how much of that was due to the Bus being a threat? As far as his progression as a QB goes, i think at some point in the next couple of years we may see a bit of a dropoff or a lull as most QB's go through that stage within their first few years.

This recent interview should give ya a feel for where Ben is at mentally at this stage of his career.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_456165.html

T-R: Have you come to better grips with your performance in the Super Bowl, as it relates to what you did during the games that got the Steelers there?

BR: I, obviously, didn't play my best game, but it's the Super Bowl. The final score is all that mattered, and that's all that matters to me. You look back to all the things we did to get there, there are things I'd like to think helped contribute to that, and, hopefully, it was good enough to help.

T-R: You progressed last season from a quarterback who looked for his first option and then vacated the pocket to one that was able to take advantage of multiple options in the pocket. How do you expect to expand your game this season?

BR: Hopefully, knowing what everybody on the field is doing instead of just two or three guys. Hopefully, maybe even having enough confidence in myself, and coach (Bill Cowher) having it also, to go no-huddle (other than in standard two-minute situations), to be able to call no-huddle plays. If we can get to that point, where we're able to do the stuff that Cincinnati does and be able to go no-huddle, then we can be pretty effective.

He's really been lobbying hard for a more open offense. And many of us Steeler fans hope he gets his way. Just out of curiosity, did Tom Brady have that type of situation with Bellichick as Ben does with Cowher? I hear alot of folks comparing Cowher to Bellichick these last few years and wonder if Belly was this stubborn with Tom.

Good point, PFSIKH. Duce Staley and Cedric Humes (rookie) will battle for the short yardage role. Ben has been clamouring for a more open offense and more control out there alot lately. I suspect that the way that we drafted means he may just get his wish. He was pretty effective inside the red zone passing during our last 8 games or so last year. But like you mentioned, how much of that was due to the Bus being a threat? As far as his progression as a QB goes, i think at some point in the next couple of years we may see a bit of a dropoff or a lull as most QB's go through that stage within their first few years.

This recent interview should give ya a feel for where Ben is at mentally at this stage of his career.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_456165.html

He's really been lobbying hard for a more open offense. And many of us Steeler fans hope he gets his way. Just out of curiosity, did Tom Brady have that type of situation with Bellichick as Ben does with Cowher? I hear alot of folks comparing Cowher to Bellichick these last few years and wonder if Belly was this stubborn with Tom.

Big Ben was alot more NFL ready. His arm strength and physique was light years ahead of Brady's entering the NFL. If you ever saw Tom's combine shirtless photo, it nearly turned the queer eye guys straight.

I think Tom has progressed alot more then Ben for two reasons. First, He had more room/need to improve and his offenses have been a little more innovative and complex.

The Patriots offense has expanded as Brady has shown the ability to be more accurate deep.

In 2001, the ball was put in the hands of Antowain and Brady was rarely asked to win the game, but did the few times he had to.

In 2002, the offense was totally in Tom's hands as Antowain sputtered to a mediocre season. However, his vertical limitations were exposed by good teams.

In 2003, the offense was a little more dynamic and attacked opposing team's weakness a little more, but more often then not, Belichick let his defense do the work and opened the offense up enough to win when needed. Until the Superbowl that is, then the ball was put in Tom's hands to win the game and he did.

Since the 2004 season, Tom has shown the ability to execute whatever the game plan called. Short passes. Long passes (**cough** 2004 AFC Championship Game** ;)). He has been able to execute it better then most and with the ever changing supporting cast.

where was the Patriots offense last year against the Broncos?

Brady was 20/36 for 341 yards that game and the Pats had 420 yards total offense.

This is a perfect example of how ridiculous it is to evaluate offenses/defenses by yardage.

The Pats put up 420 yards in offense and only score 13 points (I know TO's had a lot to do with that), but the bottom line is an offense needs to put points on the board.

Indy

KC Chiefs (also im concerned about the headcoach)

Arizona

Bengals

NY Giants

I disagree with you about the Chiefs. They're running game will continue to be excellent but outside of Gonzalez, who stunk last year for him, I don't like their receivers and I think Trent Green is such an overrated QB.

Arizona would be a top 5 offense if they had a better offensive line.

Dallas Cowboys will have a top 5 offense next year. They had a great acquisition with Terrell Owens and Fasano gives them another weapon.

Top five "offenses" in football:

• Fat guys showing up in drag to "support" their team
  • T.O. talking like he's a "born-again" team player
  • Those weird get-ups that Raider fans wear to games
  • Doing a "sack dance" when your team's down 30-3 in the fourth quarter
  • Cameramen cutting away from "honey" shots after just a split second

Top five "offenses" in football:
  • Fat guys showing up in drag to "support" their team
  • T.O. talking like he's a "born-again" team player
  • Those weird get-ups that Raider fans wear to games
  • Doing a "sack dance" when your team's down 30-3 in the fourth quarter
  • Cameramen cutting away from "honey" shots after just a split second

POTW NOM

**** happens when your star RB is worn down and your throwing against the best Cornerback in the NFL.

You mean the same "best cornerback" that Ben pump faked right out of his shoes and lofted a beautiful corner TD pass to Cedric in the AFCC game on? :P

PFSIKH, good input. Here is my dream matchup. Steelers vs Patriots with Big Ben and Brady BOTH playing their best. Wow, that would be an awesome game IMO.

And LOL at Writeguy. POTW.

I think KC will be very good, maybe even SB good, for exactly 2yrs.

Herm won't touch the offense, (a good thing), and he'll shore up their defense (another good thing).

But after 2yrs of not touching the offense, he'll have piddled away their OL to free agency. The offensive backfield will begin to have ankle/arm issues due to injury.

..then he'll jump ship in year 4 before everyone figures out what happened.

You guys that have KC in your top 5, whats your takes on Trent Green? Would ya rate him as a top 5 QB? Top 10 even?

Top 5? No.

He is decent. If not for his age, I would make him a solid 8-12 QB pick. The reason I say that is his INT totals are a little high. He has been blessed with a great RB, TE and OL, but mediocre wideouts for the majority of his KC time so the problem might not be totally his.

Archived