Reed re-joins Herm

Chiefs reach deal with former Jets DT Reed

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Unrestricted free agent defensive tackle James Reed, coming off the best season of his five-year NFL career, reached a contract agreement with the Kansas City Chiefs, ESPN.com has learned.

The former Iowa State standout, who spent his entire career with the New York Jets until entering the unrestricted free agent market this spring, started all 16 games in 2005 and posted 58 tackles according to team statistics, by far his most productive campaign.

The contract is for one year and believed to be at a base salary of $585,000, the veteran minimum for a player of Reed's tenure in the league. New York made no effort to re-sign Reed this spring.

Reed, 29, will have to battle for playing time in Kansas City, where the depth chart includes projected starters Lional Dalton and Ryan Sims, along with veteran backups John Browning, Junior Siavii and Ron Edwards. The Chiefs signed Edwards, formerly of Buffalo, as a free agent earlier in the spring.

During his time in the free agent market, Reed drew interest from a few teams, but not to the degree that he felt he would coming off the 2005 season. Although he is undersized for the position (6-foot, 288 pounds), Reed uses his hands well and is a solid defender at getting through the gaps.

Last season, Reed played principally at nose tackle, but his game is probably better suited for the "under" tackle position, or in one-gap system.

In his five seasons in the league, Reed has never missed a game. A seventh-round choice in the '01 draft, he has 159 tackles, six sacks, four fumble recoveries and two passes defensed for his career.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Reed's game is better suited to SUCKING.

Big difference we will see-Edwards talks about limitations within schemes, like one gap, blah, blah, blah.

Mangini will talk about winning with the talent on hand, with football players. A major improvement.

This guy should have been thrown off the team when he threw a punch at a fellow teammate during a game on the sideline. The fact Herm let it go says a lot about his character.

**** Herm and Reed. Neither one of them deserves a job in the NFL.

Bitonti (whose opinion I respect a great deal) didn't like James Reed, but I think he was better than the reputation he earned among Jets' fans.

Fans who thought Reed could step in and be an everydown player were, and still are, delusional. As a part-time player, though, Reed was good, in my opinion. He was active, albeit undersized, but knew how to find the ball and beat the opposing guard in front of him. Was he a run-stuffer in the mold of Teddy Washington? No, but did you really expect that from a player who weighed 285 pounds, soaking wet?

Reed is suited to play 10-15 snaps a game, nothing more. Unfortunately with Herm, he was playing closer to 30 snaps a game, which spelled disaster from the start.

Reed is a good player, IMO, if used in a limited role. JMO.

Bitonti (whose opinion I respect a great deal) didn't like James Reed, but I think he was better than the reputation he earned among Jets' fans.

Fans who thought Reed could step in and be an everydown player were, and still are, delusional. As a part-time player, though, Reed was good, in my opinion. He was active, albeit undersized, but knew how to find the ball and beat the opposing guard in front of him. Was he a run-stuffer in the mold of Teddy Washington? No, but did you really expect that from a player who weighed 285 pounds, soaking wet?

Reed is suited to play 10-15 snaps a game, nothing more. Unfortunately with Herm, he was playing closer to 30 snaps a game, which spelled disaster from the start.

Reed is a good player, IMO, if used in a limited role. JMO.

Here's what I don't get-KC signs Reed for $585K. For 10-15 snaps, that's a joke. He's nothing more than roster filler.Nobody except Edwards sees Reed as anything more than a rotation guy who takes may be 1/3 to 1/2 the snaps if you don't have a dominant DT for that spot and have to patch it together. Invite him to camp and if he pans out, give him scale. Signing him at a penny more than you have to pay is stupidity. Plus, why no mention of his sideline fight? Hermie wants to talk about "discipline" and yet he signs up a guy who cannot control his emotion enough on gameday.

KC is gonna SUCK.

the guy that punched our defensive leader in the face joins the guy that punched our franchise in the face - how fitting

The guy that punched Vilma in his face did so because Vilma was exposed as not being able to handle the opponents interior offensive linemen without Jason Ferguson taking up double teams. Vilma got his nose busted for complaining about a teammate's play. Vilma needs to shut up about other teammates play and show he can play at a high level without help like he did in his rookie year.

The guy that punched Vilma in his face did so because Vilma was exposed as not being able to handle the opponents interior offensive linemen without Jason Ferguson taking up double teams. Vilma got his nose busted for complaining about a teammate's play. Vilma needs to shut up about other teammates play and show he can play at a high level without help like he did in his rookie year.

If Mangini brought in Reed and not your man crush Herm, you would be singing a different tune...:rolleyes:

:yawn:

uh... yeah

Linebackers need protection - it's a fact. Compare Ray Lewis with Goose and Ray Lewis without Goose for further proof.

Reed is an over stuffed LB who couldn't protect anyone. Vilma should be mad about Reeds play because he was horrible.

anyone who played for Herm and resigns with him is doind so solely to skate thru remaing years.

they know they can eat as much as they want and not work hard.,,,

herm attracts soft players with minimal footbal herat for the most part

Every time you post my IQ goes down. At some point I expected you to say something intelligent.

Guess I was wrong.

Archived