Rookie Clemens emerges in Jets' QB battle

jamesAngleton

<H1 class=red>

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1150609912112820.xml&coll=1

Rookie Clemens emerges in Jets' QB battle

</H1>

Sunday, June 18, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- After three days and five practices, the Jets have learned this about their quarterback situation: When you have four QBs on your roster who can make a case to be the starter, you really don't have a starting quarterback.

Instead of the situation coming into focus at the conclusion of the veterans' minicamp yesterday, it is more uncertain than ever.

In fact, rookie Kellen Clemens was the most impressive of the foursome, outperforming veterans Chad Pennington, Patrick Ramsey and Brooks Bollinger. And it wasn't even close as the media got its first up-close look of the competition.

Clemens, a second-round pick out of Oregon, displayed an exceptional arm, moxie and the leadership ability of a veteran. He has what people describe as "it."

But will rookie coach Eric Mangini have the fortitude to go with an untested, rookie quarterback in the pressure cooker that is the metropolitan area? He has plenty of time and the backing of GM Mike Tannenbaum and owner Woody Johnson, and it will be interesting to see what he does.

"Each guy is missing some things that you'd like them to see, and some guys are making some throws that you're really happy with," Mangini said. "This is just that period where they're getting used to the offense."

Pennington, coming off two shoulder surgeries in as many years, remains the favorite, mostly by default. He's smart and usually mistake-free, which is what Mangini wants because he hopes to win with defense. Pennington looked okay in drills but isn't 100 percent yet.

Ramsey, who was a tackling dummy in Washington under former coach Steve Spurrier, was a mild disappointment. He has the arm but missed several open receivers and his penchant for interceptions reared its ugly head. His frustration boiled over as he was visibly upset at times.

"You're out there competing and you want to do everything perfect every time," Ramsey said.

Bollinger, who appeared to be the whipping boy of the coaching staff, held his own during his turn with the first team in Mangini's rotation system on Friday afternoon. He made several impressive throws and will battle Ramsey for a roster spot. It's a given that Clemens and Pennington, who took a pay cut and will earn $3 million guaranteed, will make the final roster.

Mangini summed up his first minicamp this way: "Green but growing." He was pleased with the enthusiasm, focus, work ethic and eagerness of his veteran players.

Pro Bowl MLB Jonathan Vilma, who is at his best when blockers are kept off him and he's free to roam sideline to sideline, will again have to fight off 300-pound guards and centers in the Jets' new 3-4 defense. It's not the best fit for him but he's going with the flow.

"It (two-gaping and taking on blockers) isn't really a major factor because we can switch up and morph into whatever we want to do," Vilma said. "It won't be a big issue."

We'll see.

QB-turned-WR Brad Smith, a fourth-round pick, has been impressive. ... Rookie free-agent RB Stacy Tutt (Richmond) has raised some eyebrows. ... Third-year CB Derrick Strait quietly had a good camp, as did rookie RB Leon Washington and rookie CB Drew Coleman. ... The Jets start training camp July 28.

Looks like Clemons could be a steal. Even if he is the best qb coming into the first game, I dont know if I want him in there right away. I would rather him get a year to watch, then come in strong next year.

Ramsey is better than what he is showing - he's just in panic mode. Someone needs to calm that dude down - there is no way the Bolllinger should make the team ahead of Ramsey.

Ramsey is better than what he is showing - he's just in panic mode. Someone needs to calm that dude down - there is no way the Bolllinger should make the team ahead of Ramsey.

Maybe Ramsey needs to give Ricky a call...it's all about being mellow.

Unfortunately Ramsey is displaying exactly what he always has shown.

I think Ramsey will always be one of those guys who gives you 2 or 3 glimpses of being a good QB a season. Just enough for teams to waste their time and roster spots on him.

Imagine if Clemens beats those 3 out for the starting nod. I wonder how everyone would take it.

I think Mangini already said (right after thr draft) that Clemens would not start. I think 1 year learning and watching would benefit him in the long run. Let Pennington & Ramsey battle it out for this year.

it's a pretty amazing EARLY development-doubtful though he starts but I REALLY wanna see him play this year-and not just in pre-season...utilize ALL your weapons.Screw that old philosophy of "if I play other QBs I might create a controversy"play whoever gives us the best chance to win in whatever situation we find ourselves.This,I think is what Mangini has been saying ever since that day we got him.Edwards locked us into two schemes-one offensively and one defensively-we were an easy team to game against

If Clemens is the best QB we have he should start. And I can see Brooks being better then Ramsey. I still don't know why everyone is down on Brooks. He put together a decent. Not great, but decent year with a makeshift line, WR's that couldn't catch a cold, and a rookie RB.

It's real easy to look great in shorts with no pressure from a game plan designed to stop you or with basically no pressure on you to make the team.I want to see how a 1st yr rookie looks going up against a team whose defenders are out to knock his head off when he has to make snap second decisions.

Thus far,the most interesting thing to me that has been reported from Camp is the number of passes that Clemens has had batted down by Jet defenders who aren't even going full speed yet.Clemens is said to have a strong arm,so telling me that he shows zip on his passes means nothing to me.Having him look the best amoung a group that includes a still recovering Pennington,a ruined 1st rounder in Ramsey and a career 3rd stringer in Bollywood is not that impresive,unless you're looking to justify the selection.

I remember a few yrs back,when i went to camp and witness for myself how a non descript DT outperformed Robertson in camp,yet all the stories were about how great Robertson looked.

99% of Jet fans believe Chad pennington is either finished or was never that good to begin with.If Chad Pennington with his twice repaired Shoulder is a serious challenger to Clemens right now,then exactly what is this kid.I think I will wait untill i see it for myself before i go jumping and proclaiming.

It's real easy to look great in shorts with no pressure from a game plan designed to stop you or with basically no pressure on you to make the team.I want to see how a 1st yr rookie looks going up against a team whose defenders are out to knock his head off when he has to make snap second decisions.

Thus far,the most interesting thing to me that has been reported from Camp is the number of passes that Clemens has had batted down by Jet defenders who aren't even going full speed yet.Clemens is said to have a strong arm,so telling me that he shows zip on his passes means nothing to me.Having him look the best amoung a group that includes a still recovering Pennington,a ruined 1st rounder in Ramsey and a career 3rd stringer in Bollywood is not that impresive,unless you're looking to justify the selection.

I remember a few yrs back,when i went to camp and witness for myself how a non descript DT outperformed Robertson in camp,yet all the stories were about how great Robertson looked.

99% of Jet fans believe Chad pennington is either finished or was never that good to begin with.If Chad Pennington with his twice repaired Shoulder is a serious challenger to Clemens right now,then exactly what is this kid.I think I will wait untill i see it for myself before i go jumping and proclaiming.

I agree 100%. Clemens was not a very good QB in college and if anything these practices reinforce the doubts I have about him. Batted down passes. Calling this guy Jay Fiedler would be a positive assessment of him.

Clemens, a second-round pick out of Oregon, displayed an exceptional arm, moxie and the leadership ability of a veteran. He has what people describe as "it."

If that is true, he's your starter before too long. That is almost the exact description that Big Ben got his first TC.

Archived