Vilma and Edwards.

quietjets

No it is not Herm Edwards i am referring to... Chargers' ILB Lonnie Edwards as it is. Chargers try to get rid of him because of his salary not his performance. They already have 3 or 4 ILBers that weigh at least 235.

Edwards is 6 2 227 playing 3-4 ILB... Vilma is 6 1 230 who may try to fit in 3-4 if it is featured by Mangini this year... However, Edwards had a best NT in Jamal Williams who is very althetic and strong enough to control 2 or 3 bodies at the line which makes it easier for Edwards.

Vilma may suffer some bad luck with Pouha's lazy 325lb and Robertson's shorty 315lb at NT... McChesney? I like him a lot... He is good at nose to nose battle but i am not sure about his 2 gap talent. His weight at the end of last season was about 300, increased from 292 when signed to practice squad... If he checks in at least 310 lbs then I will like to try him out to see if he can do 2 gap performance... Who knows.

Jets may forgive Vilma for his struggles in 3-4 due to weak NT not his lack of 3-4 talent....

Most important thing for Vilma is to show some intelligence to understand 3-4 scheme this year before Jets may find us a premier NT after this season. One DT from Texas will do if he declares an early entry for NFL draft in 2007..

Hope Jets give us something special within 2 years....

First, Edwards is over rated, at least according to some people, I've seen this argued several times. The general complaint is that he makes too many tackles 5+ yards up field. I'm not sure which side of that agruement I agree with. He does put up big numbers though, regardless, and that can't be argued. They put him on the trade block because he wants Ray Lewis kind of money, and was making a lot of noise about that. He's in his walk year, and apparently no teams thought he was worth the kind of money he wants.... so he's still a Charger.

People keep saying Vilma won't be able to shed blocks, but he did a lot of that last year. That was the source of the fistfight with Reed. In Edwards' D scheme, the slant nose tackle is a two gap assignment, but Reed kept playing it like a one gap, like he was the 3T, not the slant nose. He wasn't keeping the O linemen off Vilma, and when Vilma called him out on it, Reed hit him. Another classic example of the many ways Hermie failed to coach. Either Edwards or Henderson should have handled that.... and not left it up to Vilma to coach Reed.

Vilma is a very smart player, we already know that. He'll pick the system up just fine. Besides, he'll play plenty of MLB in the 4-3 as well.

Why do people call Pouha lazy? Because he had a stamina problem, just like Robertson had his rookie year? You want lazy, it's DRob, not Pouha. Pouha isn't fat. He's just BIG. He showed significant improvement towards the end of last season, and let's not forget, was a KNOWN project. Drafted too high? Sure. Bradway often jumped for players. I think Pouha may surprise some people this year. His fundamentals and technique were very bad when he showed up last year. I saw significant improvement in those areas last year. The kid deserves another year to prove himself.

I think Robertson wasn't asked to renegotiate his contract (the only big contract that wasn't) because he's on a short leash, and I think will get cut next year.

We gave alot up to get Drob. I know that we probably won't, but I'd like to get something for him. I draft pick around rounds 3-5 or some type of young potential starter. I hoping Magini will work some magic on this kid. I was so mad we we gave up the farm for him.

First, Edwards is over rated, at least according to some people, I've seen this argued several times. The general complaint is that he makes too many tackles 5+ yards up field.

The exact same thing is said about Vilma as well, you just won't ever hear a Jets fan say it.

The exact same thing is said about Vilma as well, you just won't ever hear a Jets fan say it.

Actually, last year, I'd agree to an extent. Neither of the defensive tackles played worth a **** last year. In that scheme, they are supposed to do more than just protect Vilma, they are also supposed to make some tackles, which they didn't. The previous year, I would say that wasn't the case with Vilma.

It's one thing to shed tackles in a system like last years' when he was supposed to be protected, and playing ILB in a 3-4, where part of the scheme includes shedding tackles. Zach Thomas made the transition pretty well.

Vilma is a guy who will play better and can use his strengths much more in a 4-3 then in a 3-4. The 3-4 is not the best fit for him at all.

Also, last season, well, comeon. Like it or not but Ferguson was a key loss because James Reed has always been someone to do jack **** except for maybe 5-10% of the time. It's not going to work for anyone at the 4-3 MLB or 3-4 ILB slot if you don't have a DLine to help you out.

Vilma is a guy who will play better and can use his strengths much more in a 4-3 then in a 3-4. The 3-4 is not the best fit for him at all.

Also, last season, well, comeon. Like it or not but Ferguson was a key loss because James Reed has always been someone to do jack **** except for maybe 5-10% of the time. It's not going to work for anyone at the 4-3 MLB or 3-4 ILB slot if you don't have a DLine to help you out.

Reed, Lance Legree (picked by DL Line coach Denny Marcin who had him with the Giants) and Sione Pouha, a typical combine workout wonder (that Cimini accurately noted played like an old woman) that Bradway has alway fallen for, were nothing but speed bumps to get to Vilma.

The funny thing is, most Jet fans who crap all over ex-Jets (see John Abraham and Ty Law) crapped all over Jason Ferguson when the Jets failed to sign him. The truth is, the loss of Ferguson and the failure to find anything remotely considered to be a viable replacement had a domino effect on the entire defense.

In 2004, Ferguson had his best year, his first without any injuries. He took up most of the double teams that DeWayne Robertson and Sean Ellis didn't. Robertson and Ellis had their best years because of Ferguson's terrific year. Vilma was DROY because he was a perfect fit for a 4-3 defense that kept interior linemen of the opposition off of him. Vilma didn't make the number of impact plays last year. If anything he'll have more trouble this year. Too bad, he had a great future and not using him in a scheme he's best suited for will likely result in his asking out next year.

Reed, Lance Legree (picked by DL Line coach Denny Marcin who had him with the Giants) and Sione Pouha, a typical combine workout wonder (that Cimini accurately noted played like an old woman) that Bradway has alway fallen for, were nothing but speed bumps to get to Vilma.

The funny thing is, most Jet fans who crap all over ex-Jets (see John Abraham and Ty Law) crapped all over Jason Ferguson when the Jets failed to sign him. The truth is, the loss of Ferguson and the failure to find anything remotely considered to be a viable replacement had a domino effect on the entire defense.

In 2004, Ferguson had his best year, his first without any injuries. He took up most of the double teams that DeWayne Robertson and Sean Ellis didn't. Robertson and Ellis had their best years because of Ferguson's terrific year. Vilma was DROY because he was a perfect fit for a 4-3 defense that kept interior linemen of the opposition off of him. Vilma didn't make the number of impact plays last year. If anything he'll have more trouble this year. Too bad, he had a great future and not using him in a scheme he's best suited for will likely result in his asking out next year.

Nice theory, but it doesn't really work. The whole defense didn't **** the bed because Jason Fergeson left town. They **** the bed because your boyfriend Herm was dreaming about KC and spending too many nights over Cannifatso's house instead of coaching (as ussual).

Wow, is that your first post without taking a swipe at Mangini?

Archived