Manny Ramirez to sit out All-Star game

Mavrik

from ESPN.com

TAMPA, Fla. -- Manny Ramirez won't play in next week's All-Star Game because of a sore knee, his manager told reporters Tuesday. Major League Baseball, however, has not announced any decision.

Manny Ramirez shouldn't be on the ballot in 2007, or 2008, or any year going forward, until he informs Major League Baseball that he wants to participate in the All-Star Game. If and when he wants back in, his name can be restored to the ballot.

"Just not sure why it hasn't been [announced]," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said, according to the Boston Globe. "I know there's been some red tape. It's getting bogged down a little bit."

Ramirez, the leading vote-getter in fan balloting, didn't talk to reporters after the game. He has had a sore knee for much of the season, but has played in 77 of his team's 81 games.

Ramirez missed the All-Star Game in 2003 with a sore hamstring. In 2000, while a member of the Cleveland Indians, he also skipped the game with a hamstring injury.

According to the Detroit Free Press, Ozzie Guillen has informed Magglio Ordonez that he's been added to the roster, probably to replace Ramirez.

It's a well known fact (in Boston, anyway) that Sox management asked if Manny "minded" begging out of the All-Star game so he could rest his sore knee. Management's thought being:

gee wiz, I think winning in the regular season, winning the division and getting into the playoffs is a wee bit more important than an all-star game. We need a healthy Manny to get us there.

How DARE they think so selfishly! :rolleyes:

For once I actually agree with Theo and company. Hell just got chilly.....

Side note: Manny can't win with some people. He put the team first by bowing out of the all-star game - he's a selfish pig. If he had played (skipping a chance to rest the sore knee) he's a selfish pig.

It's a well known fact (in Boston, anyway) that Sox management asked if Manny "minded" begging out of the All-Star game so he could rest his sore knee. Management's thought being:

gee wiz, I think winning in the regular season, winning the division and getting into the playoffs is a wee bit more important than an all-star game. We need a healthy Manny to get us there.

How DARE they think so selfishly! :rolleyes:

For once I actually agree with Theo and company. Hell just got chilly.....

Side note: Manny can't win with some people. He put the team first by bowing out of the all-star game - he's a selfish pig. If he had played (skipping a chance to rest the sore knee) he's a selfish pig.

Isn't this the same management team that put "Manny being Manny" on waivers? :rolleyes:

Isn't this the same management team that put "Manny being Manny" on waivers? :rolleyes:

Yes. Red Sox management tries to manipulate fan sentiment more than any other management team in sports. I am the President of the Larry Lucchino Sucks Out Loud Club, in case you did not know. :D

I saw somewhere that if anyone dropped out, Ozzie was going to put Joe Crede in his spot no matter what position the guy who dropped was.

It's interesting too because Ozzie and Magglio aren't exactly best of friends, matter of fact they dont like each other, but according to Freep, it's a done deal.

I'm glad. Maggs deserves to go. He's having a solid season for the Tigers and is the right handed power bat in the middle of the lineup that we needed.

I saw somewhere that if anyone dropped out, Ozzie was going to put Joe Crede in his spot no matter what position the guy who dropped was.

I think Baseball Tonight said Ozzie is a little out of the information loop on this. It is not his choice for an everyday player, I think they say it is upto player voting. Ozzie can choose a replacement for a pitcher though.

Yes. Red Sox management tries to manipulate fan sentiment more than any other management team in sports. I am the President of the Larry Lucchino Sucks Out Loud Club, in case you did not know. :D

Oh we know...but your club will soon have to change its name to "The Self-hating, 100% Blue Stater, Bat-sh*t crazy Dingbat Club"

By the way, Theresa, I noticed the fact that Manny now has proclaimed his happiness with Boston, the town and the management, and has vowed to finish his career in a Red Sox uniform. In fact, this is the first mention of it on this board.

Hey...I thought the corporate whores pulling all of our RS Nation strings wanted to push our high paid palyers out the door in an effort to pocket 5 cents on the dollar!??!?!?!??!?!

Or maybe Manny is just an indecisive, wishy-washy, idiot savant of hitting a baseball. Or, maybe he is just bat-sh*t crazy too. You should see if he wants to join your club.

Manny says he wants to stay now. Manny may say he wants to leave come September. Who knows what sort of bull goes on behind the scenes in the Red Sox Front Office. Has anyone actually heard Manny talk this year? No.

This is what I think. I think Management has tried to sway fan sentiment against Manny. They have pushed this agenda for a while now. Leaking bogus stories, making legit stories seem worse then they are, taking their "problem" with Manny to the airwaves and to the Newspaper that sits snuggly in their back pocket. Well, guess what? It did not work. Manny is beloved by the Fenway Faithful. He has a magical hold over the people that come to watch him play. Saw it first hand last week. The man is loved. His quirky ways, his childlike persona, his "interesting" play in the outfield, his lethalness at the plate, his mastery with a bat. We love him - much to Red Sox management's displeasure. David Ortiz is happy that Manny is happy. RSN is happy that Manny is happy. Larry Lucchino can go F himself. His little games have not worked. Actually, it has backfired. Ever mindful of "image" - Management has relented, for now.

Zippy, doesn't this sheep act get tired? How 'bout having an original thought?

Archived