Chris Brown wants out of Tennessee

faba

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Titans running back Chris Brown is heading into the final year of his contract and believes being traded away from a crowded backfield is his best career move, his agent said Friday.

Brown's agents, Ryan Morgan and Wynn Silberman, officially requested a trade in a letter sent Monday. Brown has been the Titans' starter the past two years and tops the depth chart this season.

To us, it's not anything against the organization," Morgan said. "We feel there are a number of other places that would provide a significantly better fit as Chris heads into this contract year."

The Titans, who report for training camp Thursday, declined to comment on the trade request. General manager Floyd Reese has been working to sign the team's 10 draft picks, and was scheduled to meet Friday with the agent for Vince Young.

But the Titans have plenty of running backs to choose from this season after drafting LenDale White out of Southern California in the second round. They traded for Travis Henry before last season, and he spent the offseason working himself into shape after recovering from an old ankle injury.

Also on the roster for training camp are Jarrett Payton, son of the late Walter Payton, Damien Bush and seventh-round draft pick Quinton Ganther.

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Brown, a third-round pick out of Colorado in 2003, ran for 851 yards in 15 games in 2005, well ahead of Henry's 335 yards rushing while suspended for four games. Brown had 224 rushing attempts, only four more than he had in 2004 when he played four fewer games.

Brown, scheduled to make $1.57 million, ran for 1,067 yards, a 4.9-yard average, in 11 games as a starter in 2004. He put on some extra muscle this offseason to help his endurance.

"We think he clearly has the ability to be a top back in the league, and we are concerned. The roster composition is a concern for us. We understand that the NFL is very competitive, and Chris is up to that task," Morgan said. "When you actually dig in and look at the facts as they are in Tennessee, the facts kind of speak for themselves as far as the future of the organization is headed."

I dont mind getting Brown... I like to see him and Martin split carries this year before becoming a full time RB in 2007.

I am not thinking of him rushing for 1k but moving a chain frequently.

Of course, it is all depending on what trade pans out.

I think a 5th round pick would be a bargain for Brown. I don't know if I would be willing to part with more than that though being that he is in a contract year and we could very well lose him to free agency in one year... I don't really think he is a feature back in the NFL because of his durability issues, and I don't see the team as a contender this year so parting with a anything more than a 5th rounder would seem rather wasteful. We can adress the long term back we need in next years draft.

I think a 5th round pick would be a bargain for Brown. I don't know if I would be willing to part with more than that though being that he is in a contract year and we could very well lose him to free agency in one year... I don't really think he is a feature back in the NFL because of his durability issues, and I don't see the team as a contender this year so parting with a anything more than a 5th rounder would seem rather wasteful. We can adress the long term back we need in next years draft.

Sound palatable... Some words in the press note claimed that Brown has hit the gym to improve his endurance.... I cant blame him about Titans' situation because he saw what they did to McNair and Titans' "possible" favorism to Young and White. It is pointless for him to stay suffer with Titans... He wants out and shows what he can do in a full season this year....

I dont know whether or not Brown want to have a new contract instantly when he teams up with new team.. If no, Jets can give him a look as a free agent after this season...

He's a bruiser. We need a back like that. I'd definitely like to see us make some sort of move for him.

We passed over Lendale White in the draft so we could end up trading for Chris Brown? Chris Brown is so injury prone he makes Fred Taylor look like Curtis Martin. Plus he'll want a significant contract after this year and no way in hell should the Jets give a sizeable contract to an injury-prone veteran running back.

It depends on what he will settle for money wise. He only missed one game last year due to injury and the 5 he missed in 04 were due to turf toe which didn't plague him last year. He was about 150 yards shy of 1000 yards last year but he had at least 2x that called back due to OL penalties. Also had about 350 recieving yards.

I'm not saying he's proven durable - but this guy can hit the holes real damn quick and he delivers some pretty rough punishment to anybody trying to grab him after he's into the backfield. He would have been DOA with our line last year. I'm hoping that story is a little brighter this season.

If he's only out for the big payday - he ain't earned it yet.

they need wrs give them mccariens back he was good when he was there

I like how you say they need WR's when they have better than us. How could we afford to give up Mccariens? JMAC is awful in the first place but the fact that we need him is a testament to how awful our own recievers are.

We passed over Lendale White in the draft so we could end up trading for Chris Brown? Chris Brown is so injury prone he makes Fred Taylor look like Curtis Martin. Plus he'll want a significant contract after this year and no way in hell should the Jets give a sizeable contract to an injury-prone veteran running back.

While I agree with you about Chris Brown, the reason we passed over Lendale White is because he is a fat out of shape RB that will likely be hitting his own injury problems and dope issues before he finishes out his rookie season.

Archived