Losing Your Job Because Of Injury

Maxman

What Jets coach was it that said you can't lose your job due to an injury? I don't remember (it it was Herm I honestly don't recall).

Anyhow that really makes no sense. If you get hurt and the backup performs well...the job is his if the coaches think he can do a better job.

Oh well, not much of a thread. Just my odd thought for the day.

What Jets coach was it that said you can't lose your job due to an injury? I don't remember (it it was Herm I honestly don't recall).

Anyhow that really makes no sense. If you get hurt and the backup performs well...the job is his if the coaches think he can do a better job.

Great thought-provoking thread.:character42:

I do remember Herm saying it before though I wouldn't have a link to such an insignificant quote. I'd hardly kill him unilaterally for this stupidity anyway, as MANY coaches say the same thing.

A possible reason some coaches may say that is b/c they might be thinking of potential FA's (presently or in the future). I'd think many players would want the security of knowing if they get minor injuries that last 1-3 weeks they won't lose their jobs over it.

Coslet I believe.....

Coslet I believe.....

Well if Coslet and Herm both thought the same thing it HAS to be a good idea, lol.

OH man...we should word censor the word Coslet here. Just makes me feel sick!

Although he may not have said it here, Parcells was a disciple of this thought.

The idea behind it is that players want to feel that ultimately, the coach has their back. if a player went through training camp and all the bs, and earned the starting position from that, that an injury or misfortune should not cause them to lose their position.

It is not that odd of a thought process and has been handed down

Although he may not have said it here, Parcells was a disciple of this thought.

The idea behind it is that players want to feel that ultimately, the coach has their back. if a player went through training camp and all the bs, and earned the starting position from that, that an injury or misfortune should not cause them to lose their position.

It is not that odd of a thought process and has been handed down

Seems weird. What are you doing rewarding the player for having no fear of getting hurt? And playing harder in the process.

I would think you would want to push him to get back on the field. The fear of losing your job would make you get back sooner I would think.

Seems weird. What are you doing rewarding the player for having no fear of getting hurt? And playing harder in the process.

I would think you would want to push him to get back on the field. The fear of losing your job would make you get back sooner I would think.

Ahh, but thgere is a difference. Being hurt and being injured are 2 vastly and sharply different things.

You should not reward being "hurt", and you should not penalize being "injured".

Converse to your statement-Do you want players walking on eggshells trying not to get hurt, all so they can keep the job they claimed?

All very subtle differences.

Archived