Pennington's career may be on the line...not just starting QB!

NIGHT STALKER

Jets | Pennington not guaranteed anything

Sat, 29 Jul 2006 07:23:55 -0700

Ken Berger, of Newsday, reports New York Jets QB Chad Pennington realizes that not only is he fighting for his job, he is fighting for his career at training camp. Long after the throng of media and fans dispersed, Pennington candidly admitted as much after his latest step on another comeback road. He chose the words "precious" and "finite" to describe his career, sounding like someone desperately trying not to let it slip away. "It's made me appreciate the opportunities that I have as a professional athlete," Pennington said in a quiet moment after practice. "And I think when you're injured, you start to realize how finite your career can be and how quickly it can go. I look back, this is my seventh year, and it's gone by." Dividing the reps with QBs Patrick Ramsey, Kellen Clemens and Brooks Bollinger in what head coach Eric Mangini repeatedly has called "an open competition" seems to have knocked Pennington off his emotional pedestal. "I'm not going to lie about it," he said. "It is a little bit difficult." "He's not pulling any punches and he's not playing any favorites," Pennington said. "It's made me better."

Jets | Pennington not guaranteed anything

Sat, 29 Jul 2006 07:23:55 -0700

Ken Berger, of Newsday, reports New York Jets QB Chad Pennington realizes that not only is he fighting for his job, he is fighting for his career at training camp. Long after the throng of media and fans dispersed, Pennington candidly admitted as much after his latest step on another comeback road. He chose the words "precious" and "finite" to describe his career, sounding like someone desperately trying not to let it slip away. "It's made me appreciate the opportunities that I have as a professional athlete," Pennington said in a quiet moment after practice. "And I think when you're injured, you start to realize how finite your career can be and how quickly it can go. I look back, this is my seventh year, and it's gone by." Dividing the reps with QBs Patrick Ramsey, Kellen Clemens and Brooks Bollinger in what head coach Eric Mangini repeatedly has called "an open competition" seems to have knocked Pennington off his emotional pedestal. "I'm not going to lie about it," he said. "It is a little bit difficult." "He's not pulling any punches and he's not playing any favorites," Pennington said. "It's made me better."

He can't be cut due to the cap hit, right? Too bad, because that would be the best for all concerned.

I can't help but think how different things would have been if that idiot Herm wasn't in charge for 5 of them.

and to put him back in the game he got injured in against Jacksonville was un-frickin-believeable to this Jets fan.We could have won that game if Brooks Bollinger was throwing that pass to Chrebet in the back of the end zone-it was tipped away at the the last tenth of a second-a healthy QB with some velocity would have won that game for us-just another example of the incompetence Edwards showed last year especially-not to say how much he hurt Chad by never addressing the OL since he got the Jets job.He was never afraid to draft cornerbacks and safties though was he?I'm so glad he's gone-I'll bet ya Chad wishes he was gone a year sooner...

and to put him back in the game he got injured in against Jacksonville was un-frickin-believeable to this Jets fan.We could have won that game if Brooks Bollinger was throwing that pass to Chrebet in the back of the end zone-it was tipped away at the the last tenth of a second-a healthy QB with some velocity would have won that game for us-just another example of the incompetence Edwards showed last year especially-not to say how much he hurt Chad by never addressing the OL since he got the Jets job.He was never afraid to draft cornerbacks and safties though was he?I'm so glad he's gone-I'll bet ya Chad wishes he was gone a year sooner...

I think it would be a stretch to say that if Bollinger had thrown that pass

he would have completed it to Chrebet. You can bet the house that

Bollinger didn't take one snap in practice during the week prior to that

game.

If he would have come into the game instead of Chad he probably,

given herm's conservative style, thrown only short passes and handed off

to the RBs.

Now I'm not saying he couldn't have won the game anyway but not

in the way you are describing.

Not buying any of it. Chad will be on the roster and will start the 2006 season as the starting QB. Mangini is going to start him. Guarenteed. And I agree with Mariotti / The black guy on PTI yesterday saying that he will start AT LEAST 12 games in 06. I say he stays healthy this year. Whether he performs well or not is another question.

Not buying any of it. Chad will be on the roster and will start the 2006 season as the starting QB. Mangini is going to start him. Guarenteed. And I agree with Mariotti / The black guy on PTI yesterday saying that he will start AT LEAST 12 games in 06. I say he stays healthy this year. Whether he performs well or not is another question.

I thought you were a Ramsey guy...what happened?

I thought you were a Ramsey guy...what happened?

I am. Problem is I don't believe all this open competition BS. I believe the organization wants to see Pennington to succeed with his 7 year, $64 million deal so they will give him one last chance and as long as he's healthy and wins a few games in the rebuilding process he will be here.

Why the hell would you even want that scenario to take place?

The Jets are in a total rebuilding mode for the future.

Do you honestly think PennyBoyWonder is the QB who will take the Jets to the promised land?

Let Ramsey start the season, insert Clemens after the bye week, and move to the future.

I am. Problem is I don't believe all this open competition BS. I believe the organization wants to see Pennington to succeed with his 7 year, $64 million deal so they will give him one last chance and as long as he's healthy and wins a few games in the rebuilding process he will be here.

I think Mangini is serious about the open competition. However the scale

has to be tilted toward Chad. As you say they will give him every chance

to succeed before they have to make that critical decision.

I see him starting the first two preseason games with the first team.

If he has to come in the game in the third or fourth quarter with the

scrubs its dead man walking.

With last years management - you would have had every reason to think that. It doesn't look like Tangini ball gets played that way.

Why the hell would you even want that scenario to take place?

The Jets are in a total rebuilding mode for the future.

Do you honestly think PennyBoyWonder is the QB who will take the Jets to the promised land?

Let Ramsey start the season, insert Clemens after the bye week, and move to the future.

you're trying to talk logic to the 'chad is our savior crowd' ?

He can't be cut due to the cap hit, right? Too bad, because that would be the best for all concerned.

he could, and you're right. just think of how many guys were let go cause so much money was tied up in the cap for one guy , who only played 36 games in 5 years.

Under the new collective barganing agreement, a team can release a player & extend the hit on the cap to multiple years. However, you can only do that to one player per year. Plus, that only begins in 2007.

He's right, if he becomes the backup - 2006 will be his last year with the team...

he could, and you're right. just think of how many guys were let go cause so much money was tied up in the cap for one guy , who only played 36 games in 5 years.

Can you come up with anything new? Every post I've read by you, here and on TGG, has been about Pennington, who you foolishly refer to as noodle arm. Can you post anything other than something displaying your hatred for Pennington?

Can you come up with anything new? Every post I've read by you, here and on TGG, has been about Pennington, who you foolishly refer to as noodle arm. Can you post anything other than something displaying your hatred for Pennington?

So let me understand this.

Just because he accurately says PennyBoy has a noodle arm and is washed up, you say it's because of his "hatred" towards PennyBoy.

It's not hatred, it's called the truth.

So let me understand this.

Just because he accurately says PennyBoy has a noodle arm and is washed up, you say it's because of his "hatred" towards PennyBoy.

It's not hatred, it's called the truth.

It's in every single post. Just gets tiring to read the same thing over and over. But then again, look at who I'm replying to now.

you're trying to talk logic to the 'chad is our savior crowd' ?

Sadly that's a pretty small class of peopel right now. 2002 is a long time ago, and 2 shoulder surgeries on a guy that didn't have a gun to begin with makes you wonder.

you know what?I'm trusting Eric Mangini to do what he said he's gonna do-play the best player-regardless.Herman Edwards?no I wouldn't trust HIM if he were (God forbid) still here.Then I would expect Chad would have already been named starter and we'd be working hard breaking in another batch of safties and CB's by now instead of a QB-of-the-future and watching with wary eyes Chad trying to keep his career going.We now expect our coach to actually be able to assess if #10 is making the right throws and not using excuses and percentages on his progress

Archived