(8/4) Cannizzaro: Jets may have to replace Martin now

Sperm Edwards

BACKS TO THE FUTURE

JETS MAY HAVE TO REPLACE MARTIN NOW

By MARK CANNIZZARO

jetslede08042006.jpgON THE MOVE: Derrick Blaylock is in line to start for the Jets if Curtis Martin cannot play due to his injury.

August 4, 2006 -- Curtis Martin's old reliable No. 28 uniform remains ominously invisible at Jets practices.

They have conducted 11 practices in seven days of camp and the status of the most dependable, durable, productive offensive player in franchise history remains a mystery, thanks to the stealth way this coaching regime chooses to report injuries.

Martin and his 14,001 career rushing yards, his 10 seasons of 1,000 or more rushing yards, remain on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list, and Eric Mangini has given no information about his status.

In Martin's place, Derrick Blaylock, Cedric Houston and Leon Washington have been taking handoffs from the four quarterbacks in camp.

That leaves this question: Who'll be carrying the load in the Jets' backfield when the season begins?

It's become a more pressing question at this training camp than the hot-button quarterback competition.

Blaylock is a terrific, versatile player who's never carried the load before and who's a key special-teams performer for the Jets.

Houston is coming off of a fairly productive rookie season in 2005, when he spelled Martin when he was shelved for the first time in his career, on injured reserve for the final four games. But he's unproven and doesn't look like a dynamic every-down back.

Washington is a rookie coming off of an underachieving final collegiate season, though he's had a praiseworthy camp.

Blaylock, for one, believes he's ready to carry the load as a starter after being the backup to two likely Hall of Fame backs, Priest Holmes and Martin.

"You always dream and want be a starter in this league," Blaylock said. "I've played behind and learned from the best. Both of those guys taught me the same thing: That you've always got to be ready.

"Both had the same belief in work ethic. So I always stay prepared and focused, so when the opportunity comes I don't make mistakes."

Blaylock, who had his best season for Kansas City in 2004, when he spelled injured Holmes and performed well, said that experience "showed me I had the ability to be an every-down player."

Houston came to camp 10 pounds lighter and with a vow to know the blocking schemes in front of him and to read defenses.

"Last year, I told myself to just run hard and not worry about the other stuff," he said.

He's well aware of the opportunity that could be around the corner, depending on Martin's status.

"You're out there interviewing with the coach," he said. "I'm trying to execute and make positive things happen."

Mangini yesterday praised all three backs competing.

"With Leon, I really like some of the things he's done lately," Mangini said. "He had a really good awareness play the other day as a punt returner, which shows he's paying attention in meetings. He's doing a good job in pickup (blocking) drills against linebackers and he's on ball security.

"Both Derrick and Cedric have shown good things in different areas. Cedric is understanding the different blocking scheme unfolding. Derrick has been impressive with his route running and where he fits in the running-game scheme."

If Martin is not going to be well enough to handle the load again, it's possible the Jets will look outside the organization for help.

As of yesterday, Tennessee's Chris Brown remained unhappy with the Titans and wants out. Chicago's Thomas Jones might be tradable because the Bears used a 2005 first-round pick on Cedric Benson.

There are a number of theories being floated about Martin's status. One is that he's not getting better and could be done. Another is that the Jets are trying to protect him from the rigors of Mangini's grueling camp. Another is that Martin simply needs some more rest before playing.

The most likely scenario is the second, meaning Martin will be back in time to play some preseason games and be ready for the opener.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

There are a number of theories being floated about Martin's status. One is that he's not getting better and could be done. Another is that the Jets are trying to protect him from the rigors of Mangini's grueling camp. Another is that Martin simply needs some more rest before playing.

i dont believe this...martins a workout warrior...i think he's reall hurt bad...

I just don't have a lot of faith that Derrick Blaylock is the answer-Cedric Houston a little bit more-but truth be told he's a back up on 31 other teams.If CM ain't ready we're going to have to make a move and we do have cap room to sign somebody.

I just don't have a lot of faith that Derrick Blaylock is the answer-Cedric Houston a little bit more-but truth be told he's a back up on 31 other teams.If CM ain't ready we're going to have to make a move and we do have cap room to sign somebody.

Give either guy a chance. Blaylock's got a compact build - 210 lbs isn't exactly a featherweight for a guy 5'9 - & he's fast. He's also been in the league a while so picking up a blitz & pro blocking schemes are not a new for him.

Houston supposedly dropped some weight & is much faster. He's still bulkier than the guy he's trying to replace.

I'm sick of watching Martin plod up to the line & fall down. He's 33 years old. Enough already. HB is a young man's position & he's not. Even if you were his biggest fan through the years, you must accept that his departure is in the best interest of the team. Forget wishing for his swan song season in '06. His swan song was '04 - you just didn't fully realize it at the time. Now, even as a backup he's a waste of a roster spot -unless he's going to suddenly play special teams.

Houston I liked coming out of Tennessee- the fumbling though will kill you if he can not control that- running back by committee with Washington getting reps also

I've seen Houston get this rap before.... but why? His fumbles per carry are very close to the NFL average. Room to improve, yes...a problem? I don't think it's quite fair to say that. We've been spoiled by Martin, who very rarely puts the ball on the ground.

I've seen Houston get this rap before.... but why? His fumbles per carry are very close to the NFL average. Room to improve, yes...a problem? I don't think it's quite fair to say that. We've been spoiled by Martin, who very rarely puts the ball on the ground.

I'd like to know too. I don't think it was one of his negatives coming out of school. Is this just from last season?

If the Jets are looking to trade for a RB,Mangini and Tannanbaum should contact Bill parcells about the availability of Julius Jones.When that kid was injuredhis 1st season,i wanted the Jets to trade laMont Jordan for him straight up.Maybe with the emergence on Marrion Barber Jr last year,Jones can be had for one our 2nd rounders next year.I like that Jones alot more than i do his Brother Thomas who plays for Chicago.

What did he have 1 fumble in 81 carries last year?

I just did a quick search and dont know if thats official.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7358

In college, he averaged over 5 ypc for three seasons, but no fumble stats here

http://utsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/081503aad.html

Yeah, I looked at this last year.... I think the NFL average is one fumble per 92 carries.... something like that, going purely on my sometimes shaky memory. But, those numbers are pretty close. He had some fumble problems his junior year as I recall, but again, it wasn't a real big problem. One fumble for 81 carries leaves room for improvement, but it really wasn;t a big issue last year either.

I found this, and I would say his durability is more of a concern than ball security.

By: TFY Draft Preview

Date: Nov 5, 2004

Scouting Report: Cedric Houston

Name: Cedric Houston School: Tennessee

Ht: 5-11.5 Wt: 215 40: 4.55

The Good: Athletic ball carrier with the speed and quickness necessary for the outside as well as the shiftiness needed to pick up yards in the middle of the field. Runs with forward lean, displays quickness as well as a burst through the hole. Bounces it around piles or sets up defenders and makes them miss. Has a slashing style and the ability to slide off defenders. Solid receiver who extends to grab the pass out of the air and runs well after the reception.

The Bad: Indecisive and not instinctive. Must be more cognizant and careful with ball security. Durability is an issue.

The Skinny: A prospect that flashes greatness on occasion, Houston

Archived