the final play

Jetsfan80

(:08) (Shotgun) C.Pennington pass short middle to L.Washington to NYJ 40 for 8 yards [D.Freeney]. Lateral to B.Smith to NYJ 37 for -3 yards. Lateral to L.Coles to IND 44 for 19 yards. Lateral to C.Pennington to IND 37 for 7 yards. Lateral to J.McCareins to IND 35 for 2 yards. FUMBLES, recovered by NYJ-B.Smith at IND 33. B.Smith to IND 37 for -4 yards. FUMBLES, recovered by NYJ-L.Coles at IND 40. L.Coles to IND 27 for 13 yards. Lateral to N.Mangold to IND 27 for no gain. FUMBLES, RECOVERED by Colts.

Wow. All we needed was the Colts band to come onto the field.

If only we had started at the 20, and not the 2, I wonder if we'd have been in position to kick the FG. Instead of people blaming Mangini, maybe we should blame the players for such a boneheaded move at the end.

serphnx, who's blaming anyone? I'm not putting anyone down for that play at the end, it was a great effort, and in no way "boneheaded".

If only we had started at the 20, and not the 2, I wonder if we'd have been in position to kick the FG. Instead of people blaming Mangini, maybe we should blame the players for such a boneheaded move at the end.

I don't think they let you kick field goals with no time on the clock.

It would be nice, though.

I don't think they let you kick field goals with no time on the clock.

It would be nice, though.

We had 50 seconds. I mean on the kickoff, why were we at the 2? Wasn't it a mistake on a Jets player? I didn't see the game, I read the PBP off nfl.com, and looked at our PBP thread on JN. It sounded like it was a mistake.

It was a screwup that they started at the 2, but I'm not sure I blame Leon for taking it out. If another Jet player touched the ball before it enters the end zone, would it still be a touchback?

Right, the way that ball bounced I couldn't tell if an up man touched it. Thanks to CBS I never saw a good replay and I'm pretty sure that Leon wasn't so sure it wasn't touched either.

The radio guys were blaming Chatham for not fielding it cleanly

The radio guys were blaming Chatham for not fielding it cleanly

If so, there is no reason for Chatham to remain on the roster.

Two straight weeks with a bonehead play from a guy that is here for special teams.

Drop Chatham, bring back Myers.

So Chatham touched it, or that's what everyone thinks? If so... it was a good move by Leon, he just waited forever to pick up the ball. If not, then it was a bonehead play by Leon.

Seemed to be some confusion as to whether it was touched, also the other man back (was it Cotchery?) seemed to be ambivilent about whether he should take a knee. As Tex might say, it was a fluke. It's pretty rare for a pooch kick to make the end zone, especially by rolling by about 8 Jets. I'm sure they'll have them drilled on the situation this week.

Chatham may well be gone for Meyers. I saw new guy Spencer in on some special teams plays, but I think Chatham might be a better LB than Meyers.

Seemed to be some confusion as to whether it was touched, also the other man back (was it Cotchery?) seemed to be ambivilent about whether he should take a knee. As Tex might say, it was a fluke. It's pretty rare for a pooch kick to make the end zone, especially by rolling by about 8 Jets. I'm sure they'll have them drilled on the situation this week.

Chatham may well be gone for Meyers. I saw new guy Spencer in on some special teams plays, but I think Chatham might be a better LB than Meyers.

Can anybody find a replay of this so we can check it out and see.. because right now I'm really into it and want to see if leon did the dumb or the smart thing. Getting the ball on the 2 is a lot better than giving up 2 points. For now I'll goand try and find out if Chatham or anyone else touched the ball. The kick was very lucky, that's only going to work 1/20 times I'd say.

Can anybody find a replay of this so we can check it out and see.. because right now I'm really into it and want to see if leon did the dumb or the smart thing. Getting the ball on the 2 is a lot better than giving up 2 points. For now I'll goand try and find out if Chatham or anyone else touched the ball. The kick was very lucky, that's only going to work 1/20 times I'd say.

Not necessarily dumb or smart. If you're not sure you HAVE to take it out. Can't rely on luck. You want to call it a dumb play, imagine if he took a safety to end the game?

Not necessarily dumb or smart. If you're not sure you HAVE to take it out. Can't rely on luck. You want to call it a dumb play, imagine if he took a safety to end the game?

I suppose you're right. But what I mean is that it would've been a lot better if no one touched it and he took the knee. He probably did the best possible thing seeing the position he was in, so he did the smart thing. But if we knew, we could tell if it was the SMARTEST thing. But, of course, we can't go back in time and change it all unfortunately.

Glenn, what do you mean? How can you gameplan for that exact thing? You can always tell them to take it out if you're not sure (which should be preached), but they're not going to practice that exact scenario. Leon relied on instincts I think, and it could've been the best choice... I don't know if we'll ever find out.

I suppose you're right. But what I mean is that it would've been a lot better if no one touched it and he took the knee. He probably did the best possible thing seeing the position he was in, so he did the smart thing. But if we knew, we could tell if it was the SMARTEST thing. But, of course, we can't go back in time and change it all unfortunately.

Glenn, what do you mean? How can you gameplan for that exact thing? You can always tell them to take it out if you're not sure (which should be preached), but they're not going to practice that exact scenario. Leon relied on instincts I think, and it could've been the best choice... I don't know if we'll ever find out.

Glenn is talking about the Cal band play. You and I were talking about the kickoff that necessitated it. On the kickoff you hope that somebody that knows (usually the other deep man) is yelling to take it out or not take it out. Today it looked like nobody was sure. Glenn is right, that play looked practiced, which bodes well for this staff. Did they do it in camp or install it after Penny couldn't reach the end zone on the last play against the Pats?

yeah so there i was watching leon flip it to smith(i think ) & blip...............................the tv goes blank........i'm stunned, my mind's racing over who I killed in a previous life to have this happen. I go into the other room to tell my wife what happened and my cell phone went off. I ran to answer yelling back to the mrs thats gotta be someone calling cause the jets just friggin won. Tom congratulates me on a great game & then told me what happened.

Heartbreaking loss but what a great game to watch. i thoroughly enjoyed it.

THANK YOU ERIC MANGINI. I for one see no problem with the home team going for a td in that situation against a high powered offense. not what I would have done but a gutsy move that backfired a little. I love the way eric has these ny jets playing

Glenn is talking about the Cal band play. You and I were talking about the kickoff that necessitated it. On the kickoff you hope that somebody that knows (usually the other deep man) is yelling to take it out or not take it out. Today it looked like nobody was sure. Glenn is right, that play looked practiced, which bodes well for this staff. Did they do it in camp or install it after Penny couldn't reach the end zone on the last play against the Pats?

Right Dominator I'm talking the Cal Band play..no one was reaching the end zone from there..-35

it was a dumb play and a terrible mental error, he could have downed the ball in the endzone for a touchback.

Someone in the middle tier of players problably could have gotten the ball had they been aware of the squib kick but nobody touched it it took a bad bounce and by the time Leon picked it up at the goal line I'm sure he was unsure both if anyone had touched the ball and if he himself was actually in or out of the endzone... Tough situation to find yourself in as a rookie in a big time game. I don't blame him and I didn't think going for it on 4th down was such a bad call. You don't beat a team like the Colts without making some risky decisions and taking some chances.

Hindsight is always 20/20 so all the people hating on the call right now would be callling Mangini a genius had they scored and won the game. QUIT ACTING LIKE YOUR ALL SMARTER THAN MANGINI ITS EASY TO BE A MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACK.

Archived