Dennis Green finds a fall guy- his offensive coordinator

faba

ESPN.com news services

The Monday Night Meltdown claimed its first victim on Tuesday, when Arizona Cardinals coach Dennis Green announced he was replacing offensive coordinator Keith Rowen with quarterbacks coach Mike Kruczek.

Green announced the change at his press confernece on Tuesday, hours after exploding in front of the media following the Cardinals' stunning loss on Monday Night Football.

The Cardinals offense bogged down on Monday nigth in the second half, allowing the Chicago Bears to erase a 20-point halftime deficit for a 24-23 comeback victory. The failure of the Cardinals' running game and blocking breakdowns that led to a fumble recovery for a touchdown helped fuel the Bears' comeback.

"At certain times you feel like you have to do something different," Green said. "[Kruczek] is old-school all the way and that's what I think we need right now."

Green said Rowen's next role with the team is uncertain. Rowen was the second offensive coordinator to be relieved of his duties on Tuesday. Earlier, Baltimore Ravens coach Brian Billick fired Jim Fassel as coordinator and announced he would take over offensive play-calling duties during games.

ESPN.com news services

The Monday Night Meltdown claimed its first victim on Tuesday, when Arizona Cardinals coach Dennis Green announced he was replacing offensive coordinator Keith Rowen with quarterbacks coach Mike Kruczek.

Green announced the change at his press confernece on Tuesday, hours after exploding in front of the media following the Cardinals' stunning loss on Monday Night Football.

The Cardinals offense bogged down on Monday nigth in the second half, allowing the Chicago Bears to erase a 20-point halftime deficit for a 24-23 comeback victory. The failure of the Cardinals' running game and blocking breakdowns that led to a fumble recovery for a touchdown helped fuel the Bears' comeback.

"At certain times you feel like you have to do something different," Green said. "[Kruczek] is old-school all the way and that's what I think we need right now."

Green said Rowen's next role with the team is uncertain. Rowen was the second offensive coordinator to be relieved of his duties on Tuesday. Earlier, Baltimore Ravens coach Brian Billick fired Jim Fassel as coordinator and announced he would take over offensive play-calling duties during games.

I can't believe Green used a line from Carlito's Way to justify throwing his OC under the bus:

Laline (Vigo Mortensen) says to Carlito (Al Pacino): "Old school all the way baby . . . " when discussing an potentially good racket of some kind.

Fantastic!

I can't believe Green used a line from Carlito's Way to justify throwing his OC under the bus:

Laline (Vigo Mortensen) says to Carlito (Al Pacino): "Old school all the way baby . . . " when discussing an potentially good racket of some kind.

Fantastic!

If he didnt spend his whole day on the coach watching movies and eating potato chips maybe he can put some thought into clock management

Actually, Dennis Green has been a fairly successful HC in the NFL. He never had a losing season in is tenure with the Minnesota Vikings; I believe his worst record was 8-8. His teams never did anything in the playoffs though, which I think is his only knock.

Vikings under Green: 92-52

Vikings not under Green: 40-45

I think he has the Cardinals franchise heading in the right direction.

Actually, Dennis Green has been a fairly successful HC in the NFL. He never had a losing season in is tenure with the Minnesota Vikings; I believe his worst record was 8-8. His teams never did anything in the playoffs though, which I think is his only knock.

Right direction? They are 1-5 and have lost the last two home games after securing a 14 point first quarter lead. He has played havoc with the QB's every year, never even came close to the playoffs. I dont see how he has them heading towards respectability.

Comparing favorably to Mike Tice (who had the team after most of the pro-bowlers were gone) is not the measuring stick of a success. Take a look at the list of players I posted in the other thread, and it didn't even include their multiple pro-bowlers on defense. How the hell do you lose with that team? And the first team he took over in '92 had 6 players go to the pro-bowl. SIX. Most coaches don't get a decent team like that as their first job & skews their overall records.

If you've been a HC for 13 years and have never reached (let alone win) the superbowl once, you're not going to. I mean, what HC suddenly makes it to the promised land in his 14th or 15th season?

Archived