Is Tom Brady underpaid?

Preston Howley III

PF, it only works because Brady was willing to do it that way. He is definitely being underpaid in terms of what he can command on the market if he wanted to. But he's more interested in being on a championship team. Brady is basically the absolute perfect QB you could hope for, most teams do not have that luxury. Peyton Manning for instance does have a huge salary, and will always have one. Even alleged team guy Chad Pennington signed a huge contract. To his credit, he finally reworked it a bit last year, but he really had no choice and has already ravaged the team's salary cap beforehand. He's not alone though, and I don't fully blame him, since people like DFat and Ellis got huge contracts too. I think now the Jets mentality has changed more to the Patriots model, but don't be fooled, the Jets would then only be the second team that operates like that. I hope it pays off as well for us as it has for you, but we have a long way to go. I hope Clemens is the real deal and is willing to take that cut.

Why question the model if it works? You admit that the Jets will be following the Pats lead right.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why question the model if it works? You admit that the Jets will be following the Pats lead right.

I didn't question the model. I think it's the best model, and that's why I hope we get the right players and can follow it too. If things go the way we want it to, pretty much every year it'll be either the Jets or Pats winning the SB. But as I said, we, the Jets, still have a long way to go, and it will take a bit of luck.

#27: I have no problems with guys that go out there and say they're all about the money, and then take what they can. That's their right. Their careers are short, and if money is the priority, then by all means, that is not something I will condemn. However, my problem is with the alleged "team first" guys that claim to be about winning championships and doing what is best for the team. Signing a cap-killing deal is not the best thing for the team. Chad always used to claim he cared more about the team, but then he does that. I have a problem with hypocrites and liars. Kinda like why I hate Herm too.

I didn't question the model. I think it's the best model, and that's why I hope we get the right players and can follow it too. If things go the way we want it to, pretty much every year it'll be either the Jets or Pats winning the SB. But as I said, we, the Jets, still have a long way to go, and it will take a bit of luck.

#27: I have no problems with guys that go out there and say they're all about the money, and then take what they can. That's their right. Their careers are short, and if money is the priority, then by all means, that is not something I will condemn. However, my problem is with the alleged "team first" guys that claim to be about winning championships and doing what is best for the team. Signing a cap-killing deal is not the best thing for the team. Chad always used to claim he cared more about the team, but then he does that. I have a problem with hypocrites and liars. Kinda like why I hate Herm too.

I think Pennington has done enough restructuring in the team's interest. He gave $$ back so they could get Coles and he gave $$ back this year, when it was probably in best interests of all involved. Are you actually claiming that players shouldn't sign big long-term deals because it makes it harder to win a title? That's a joke. What was he supposed to do? Tell the team, "hey, cut the years, no, no, take a few million off the signing bonus" ? Should all "team first" players take one year deals? Even Tex would admit that the only things Chad has done to prevent the Jets from winning a title are being injury prone and having a chicken arm. You're actually calling the guy a hypocrite because he said he was a "team first" guy and signed a decent contract?

Personally, I am very anti-owner and salary cap. Players get shafted left and right by that league. I'm all for sticking it to "the man" in this case and I don't like using the salary cap as a crutch to blame the players for the stupid decisions of ownership.

The Pats model is nice to follow, but it's not that easy to find a Tom Brady and keep him without breaking the bank. It's not easy even if you do break the bank. We'll see how it works out because coming into this season I felt the Jets had the worst talent they've had in years.

I think Pennington has done enough restructuring in the team's interest. He gave $$ back so they could get Coles and he gave $$ back this year, when it was probably in best interests of all involved. Are you actually claiming that players shouldn't sign big long-term deals because it makes it harder to win a title? That's a joke. What was he supposed to do? Tell the team, "hey, cut the years, no, no, take a few million off the signing bonus" ? Should all "team first" players take one year deals? Even Tex would admit that the only things Chad has done to prevent the Jets from winning a title are being injury prone and having a chicken arm. You're actually calling the guy a hypocrite because he said he was a "team first" guy and signed a decent contract?

Personally, I am very anti-owner and salary cap. Players get shafted left and right by that league. I'm all for sticking it to "the man" in this case and I don't like using the salary cap as a crutch to blame the players for the stupid decisions of ownership.

The Pats model is nice to follow, but it's not that easy to find a Tom Brady and keep him without breaking the bank. It's not easy even if you do break the bank. We'll see how it works out because coming into this season I felt the Jets had the worst talent they've had in years.

Don't put words in my mouth. There is a huge difference between signing a bloated contract and signing one that will take care of you, while balancing building a great team. Chad's contract was absolutely bloated. That money he "gave back" is a result of him extorting Bradway for money. Jets fans dont seem to want to remember the negotiations, but Chad sure did his best to threaten the Jets. If he wants to be a "team" guy, he shouldn't be signing ridiculous contracts and threatening the team. IIRC, Chad had either the second or third highest signing bonus in history when he signed that contract. That is way too much.

Whatever, I'd rather we dump Chad and start Clemens now anyway. And if Clemens turns out to be our franchise QB, we can actually sign him long term before his contract is up, rather than this stupid strategy of drafting players, letting them sit until their contract is almost up, and then starting them.

#27 - No salary cap...no compeitive balance.

The Patriots would be a have, but I would prefer to have the league the way it is then what MLB has. No one is bitching about the Packers like the Royals, Rays or Pirates. Big FA signings are not strictly limited to the big markets.

You are a 110% right that the owners largely have the players by the balls. Although the owners lost a little in the last CBA bargaining.

I don't see whats so complex about this. Brady volunteered to take less money in return for the team using that extra money to field a better team. But in return they didn't use that money to field a better team. Its simple really, Brady got screwed this year. Maybe they'll use that money in the future, but this year, he didn't get what they should have given him. It doesn't matter that he's not hurting for money, no one in the NFL should be.

Don't put words in my mouth. There is a huge difference between signing a bloated contract and signing one that will take care of you, while balancing building a great team. Chad's contract was absolutely bloated. That money he "gave back" is a result of him extorting Bradway for money. Jets fans dont seem to want to remember the negotiations, but Chad sure did his best to threaten the Jets. If he wants to be a "team" guy, he shouldn't be signing ridiculous contracts and threatening the team. IIRC, Chad had either the second or third highest signing bonus in history when he signed that contract. That is way too much.

Whatever, I'd rather we dump Chad and start Clemens now anyway. And if Clemens turns out to be our franchise QB, we can actually sign him long term before his contract is up, rather than this stupid strategy of drafting players, letting them sit until their contract is almost up, and then starting them.

Please explain Chad's "extorting Bradway for money." Did he have naked pictures of Bradway with a duck? What "threats" did he make? That he'd go someplace else and get fair market value? Overpaid or not it's the FO that paid him. They didn't have to, there are always other fish in the sea.

Who determines what is a "fair contract" that takes care of the player? They can probably live on $36,000 a year, should they play for that? Some of these guys are supporting several generations of their families. None of it is guaranteed money, so they need a huge signing bonus in case the team dumps them.

Archived