Is Tom Brady underpaid?

Preston Howley III

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where would he have gone? Houston, Detroit, Buffalo? Why would you play for a losing team when you could play for a winning team? The extra couple of mill a year?

He gets that through endorsements for ****s sake.

The Colts, Eagles, Falcons and quite a few other teams pay their QBs a lot and are winning teams. He could have gone to the Broncos and won 2 more, or he could have gone to the Steelers, or plenty of other teams. Generally, if you have a top QB in the NFL, you will be a winning team. Peyton Manning sure wins a lot, and he is the highest paid QB in the NFL. Hell, he just won, again, 2 days ago.

The Colts, Eagles, Falcons and quite a few other teams pay their QBs a lot and are winning teams. He could have gone to the Broncos and won 2 more, or he could have gone to the Steelers, or plenty of other teams. Generally, if you have a top QB in the NFL, you will be a winning team. Peyton Manning sure wins a lot, and he is the highest paid QB in the NFL. Hell, he just won, again, 2 days ago.

All these "winning" teams had the money available under the cap to pay Brady his millions right?

Are you all saying that Brady should be the highest paid player in the NFL?

I thought you all said he was gay and a "system QB"

I like this little gem from that USA article:

Brady probably never thinks about it, but because he was a lowly sixth-round pick he also missed out on the $15 million signing bonus as a rookie. He may have all these Super Bowl rings, but he's $30 million to $40 million behind Manning, a former No. 1 selection, in NFL wages earned. We all know that really isn't fair.

Oh, he thinks about it. He thinks about that and the fleecing Kraft gave him. :rl:

In 2002, Brady signed a 5yr-30.52 million dollar contract w/9.5 million up front.

In 2005, Brady was extended at the rate of 5 yr-60 million with 26.5 million in bonus. If Brady by some chance is on the Patriots in 2008-2010, he receives a 3 million bonus each year.

In 2004, Peyton signed his 7yr-98 million dollar contract w/34.5 million bonus.

In 2010, Brady will have earned 87.5 million (18.5 million off the 2002 extension; 60 off 2005 extension and 9 off the 2008-2010 bonuses) w/36 million up front.

He is not exactly on food stamps, or too far behind Peyton.

All these "winning" teams had the money available under the cap to pay Brady his millions right?

Are you all saying that Brady should be the highest paid player in the NFL?

I thought you all said he was gay and a "system QB"

All these winning teams obviously had the cap room to sign their current QBs, whom all make more money than Brady does. Even the Jets had paid Pennington more than Brady. PF brings up more numbers and things may have changed, but I'm talking about a few years ago, when Brady signed that first contract after the SB(s).

The point is, obviously, teams can make cap room for top QBs, and apparently top QBs pay off. If Brady is as good as you think he is, then he will make whatever team he signs with good. Perhaps the Chargers could have given him the money, or the Ravens. Do you really think no team in the NFL can afford a top QB?

Brady being gay has nothing to do with his performance on the field. I'm glad you concede the point though.

In 2002, Brady signed a 5yr-30.52 million dollar contract w/9.5 million up front.

In 2005, Brady was extended at the rate of 5 yr-60 million with 26.5 million in bonus. If Brady by some chance is on the Patriots in 2008-2010, he receives a 3 million bonus each year.

In 2004, Peyton signed his 7yr-98 million dollar contract w/34.5 million bonus.

In 2010, Brady will have earned 87.5 million (18.5 million off the 2002 extension; 60 off 2005 extension and 9 off the 2008-2010 bonuses) w/36 million up front.

He is not exactly on food stamps, or too far behind Peyton.

Vick got 37 million upfront and a contract worth 130 million over 10 years. Brady could have easily demanded and gotten 45 million upfront with an equal 10 year 130 million dollar contract. The upfront money and the first couple of years on the contract are all that matters. After that if the player struggles or exceeds the contract it will be restructured either way.

All these winning teams obviously had the cap room to sign their current QBs, whom all make more money than Brady does. Even the Jets had paid Pennington more than Brady. PF brings up more numbers and things may have changed, but I'm talking about a few years ago, when Brady signed that first contract after the SB(s).

The point is, obviously, teams can make cap room for top QBs, and apparently top QBs pay off. If Brady is as good as you think he is, then he will make whatever team he signs with good. Perhaps the Chargers could have given him the money, or the Ravens. Do you really think no team in the NFL can afford a top QB?

Brady being gay has nothing to do with his performance on the field. I'm glad you concede the point though.

You mentioned the Colts, Eagles and Falcons. How many Super Bowls have they won?

The Chargers? Brady would be at the mercy of Marty.

The Eagles? The offense is built around McNabb who has a much different style that Brady.

The Falcons? Who the F knows what kind of offense Mora Jr would use.

The Broncos? Brady would have taken them to Multiple SB wins.

You mentioned the Colts, Eagles and Falcons. How many Super Bowls have they won?

The Eagles? The offense is built around McNabb who has a much different style that Brady.

Why would any of that matter if Brady is so great?

Manning has to overcome Dungy.

Can't have it both ways. Great QB's win with or without a ton of talent around them.

Vick got 37 million upfront and a contract worth 130 million over 10 years. Brady could have easily demanded and gotten 45 million upfront with an equal 10 year 130 million dollar contract. The upfront money and the first couple of years on the contract are all that matters. After that if the player struggles or exceeds the contract it will be restructured either way.

You never answered my previous question, so I'll ask it again:

Brady has 3 Super Bowl rings, Vick has none.

Do you really think Brady is hurting for money?

If you do, you are a complete dumbass.

You never answered my previous question, so I'll ask it again:

Brady has 3 Super Bowl rings, Vick has none.

Do you really think Brady is hurting for money?

If you do, you are a complete dumbass.

Tx the signing bonus Vick got is almost 50% more than the one Brady got. The difference is just about enough to pay the taxes on Brady's signing bonus. Is Brayd hurting? No. But I'm not hurting either and if some guy next to me was working the same job as I was with less qualifications and being paid 40%-50% more than I was well then I would be pissed about it. Would you?

LMAO

It as though JetMo walked into the room, turned the light on, and all the roach-trolls started scurrying around.

Carry on

:P

JetMo is on fire. He is spewing "facts" and it's only Tuesday. Can't wait to see what the rest of the week brings!

I see you neglected the Ravens. If he went to the Ravens, that's probably 5 years straight worth of SB wins. Again, my point still stands, he could have gone to several teams and either won or competed for SBs, if he's really that good, and made more money at the same time. He chose to stay with the Pats, and now, the argument is, they aren't giving him the players he needs. If he's not going to get SBs, then of course things will start to turn sour eventually.

I see you neglected the Ravens. If he went to the Ravens, that's probably 5 years straight worth of SB wins. Again, my point still stands, he could have gone to several teams and either won or competed for SBs, if he's really that good, and made more money at the same time. He chose to stay with the Pats, and now, the argument is, they aren't giving him the players he needs. If he's not going to get SBs, then of course things will start to turn sour eventually.

You know I like you mate.

Name the "winning" teams that could have plucked Brady (not that he was ever a free agent) when he took less from the Pats?

Two words for you: Salary Cap

Tx the signing bonus Vick got is almost 50% more than the one Brady got. The difference is just about enough to pay the taxes on Brady's signing bonus. Is Brayd hurting? No. But I'm not hurting either and if some guy next to me was working the same job as I was with less qualifications and being paid 40%-50% more than I was well then I would be pissed about it. Would you?

It is really apples and oranges.

Both QBs hit their contract years at different points in their respective careers.

Vick received a big contract and signed an extension after his 4th season. Brady on the otherhand quickly outlived his rookie contract. Signed an extension in 2002 after his second season and then one 3 seasons later.

Like with Peyton when his contract is placed side by side with Vick, Brady will come close to the 10-yr130 w/45 million bonus. if he elects to play to 2015. In 2011, he will be a FA. I doubt he gets there but he will have an extension with another large bonus unless he retires before hand.

It is really apples and oranges.

Both QBs hit their contract years at different points in their respective careers.

Vick received a big contract and signed an extension after his 4th season. Brady on the otherhand quickly outlived his rookie contract. Signed an extension in 2002 after his second season and then one 3 seasons later.

Like with Peyton when his contract is placed side by side with Vick, Brady will come close to the 10-yr130 w/45 million bonus. if he elects to play to 2015. In 2011, he will be a FA. I doubt he gets there but he will have an extension with another large bonus unless he retires before hand.

Like I said you are looking at the whole contract which is a mistake since most contracts only go out about 50% of the termed years.

Like I said you are looking at the whole contract which is a mistake since most contracts only go out about 50% of the termed years.

And that is just one way to look at it.

If patscap.com is right, his cap hits are very manageable (9-13 million a year). He stands to earn more of his money then Vick probably does. I think the Patriots way, for the big guys, having more smaller contracts as oppossed to one large one is better for the player and team. They have more opportuities for the upfront money. The team does not have to worry about a player being injured and having to take a huge cap hit.

If Vick were injured and his career ended today, the Falcons would be screwed royally.

And that is just one way to look at it.

If patscap.com is right, his cap hits are very manageable (9-13 million a year). He stands to earn more of his money then Vick probably does. I think the Patriots way, for the big guys, having more smaller contracts as oppossed to one large one is better for the player and team. They have more opportuities for the upfront money. The team does not have to worry about a player being injured and having to take a huge cap hit.

If Vick were injured and his career ended today, the Falcons would be screwed royally.

PF, it only works because Brady was willing to do it that way. He is definitely being underpaid in terms of what he can command on the market if he wanted to. But he's more interested in being on a championship team. Brady is basically the absolute perfect QB you could hope for, most teams do not have that luxury. Peyton Manning for instance does have a huge salary, and will always have one. Even alleged team guy Chad Pennington signed a huge contract. To his credit, he finally reworked it a bit last year, but he really had no choice and has already ravaged the team's salary cap beforehand. He's not alone though, and I don't fully blame him, since people like DFat and Ellis got huge contracts too. I think now the Jets mentality has changed more to the Patriots model, but don't be fooled, the Jets would then only be the second team that operates like that. I hope it pays off as well for us as it has for you, but we have a long way to go. I hope Clemens is the real deal and is willing to take that cut.

Even alleged team guy Chad Pennington signed a huge contract. To his credit, he finally reworked it a bit last year, but he really had no choice and has already ravaged the team's salary cap beforehand. He's not alone though, and I don't fully blame him, since people like DFat and Ellis got huge contracts too. I think now the Jets mentality has changed more to the Patriots model, but don't be fooled, the Jets would then only be the second team that operates like that. I hope it pays off as well for us as it has for you, but we have a long way to go. I hope Clemens is the real deal and is willing to take that cut.

Don't fully blame him? He was supposed to ask for less money? You take as much as you can get. When some poor sucker blows out his knee and can't come back do they pay him or cut him and give him some cheesy injury settlement. Brady being a team first guy may be commendable, but to blame a guy for making the best deal for himself is wrong. Blame the FO they are the ones making the deals.

Archived