Bengals former first rounder Pollack career could be over

faba

Broken neck could end career of Bengals' Pollack

ESPN.com news services

Pollack

Cincinnati Bengals linebacker David Pollack undoubtedly has Dec. 13 circled on his calendar. That's the day when Pollack will meet with doctors to decide whether he'll ever play football again.

Pollack fractured the C-6 vertebra in his neck against the Browns on Sept. 17 and was placed on injured reserve the following day. Still wearing a protective halo to get his neck in place, Pollack visited the team's locker room Thursday at Paul Brown Stadium.

"If I'm not more likely to get hurt again, then I'll play," Pollack told the Cincinnati Enquirer. "If I am, then I won't. Cut and dried. It's a very real possibility that I won't play again. At the end of it, if the doctor says I'm 5 percent more likely to get injured again, there's a zero percent chance I'll ever play again. That's a fact."

The 24-year-old Pollack, a first-round pick from Georgia in 2005, has played in 16 games for the Bengals, starting six.

Pollack said he has used his time away from the game in prayer and Bible study. He said there are few distractions because of his limited mobility.

"I'd love to play football; it's what I've done for so long," he told the Enquirer. "But in the end, really, if I'm more likely to get hurt, God doesn't close one door without opening another one. He's got something special for me, regardless. There's going to be something cool. There's going to be something awesome."

I always liked Pollack and he seemed like he would have a pretty good career ahead of him.

the guy always was an overachiever - he overachieved for his God given athletic ability

sometimes that works out ok as in the case of Zach Thomas for example

but i don't think he had the awareness and body control to make it in the NFL

David Pollack is a classic example of being chewed up and spit out.

your grandfather was a Chicken dish?

CHICKEN CALABRESE

A zesty chicken recipe from Calabria, Italy! ;)

He wasn't the chicken he was the guy that made the chicken. Actually he was the clam man at the Grand Central Oyster Bar for quite awhile. That chicken is probably pretty spicy. They put hot peppers in everything down there.

Archived