Former Eagle Takes his own life

Jetman67

FORT VALLEY, Ga. (Nov. 20, 2006) -- Andre Waters, a defensive back who spent most of his 12 seasons in the NFL with the Philadelphia Eagles, was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound early Nov. 20. He was 44.

I can totally understand. Sometimes the pressure is so great that one senses there is no way out. Terrible!!

• 2 months later...

Honestly, I hadn't really paid much attention to this story, until I read a commentary in my local paper.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=558509&category=SPORTS&BCCode=&newsdate=1/30/2007

Interesting, and yet scary stuff.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9B06EFD81130F93BA25752C0A9619C8B63

If Nowinski is correct, you have to be extremetly concerned about a lot of guys out there, Toon, Chrebet, Aikman, Hoge, etc.

Thoughts??

Anyone see the thing they had on ESPN when they said that NFL players are a certain high percentage more likely to suffer from depression after they retire? I remember it had something to do with getting hit in the head so many times I think....

Being repeatedly concussed can cause behavorial disturbance, but there may have been underlying stuff going on there. It is very sad, though. NFL needs to step up, and good for Mike Webster's family (former Steeler) to be able to collect after years of litigation. The guy didn't hit himself in the head with a hammer, for crying out loud.

Outside of the obvious physical abuse players bodys absorb one has to consider the mental side. I mean when your a NFL player your in the limelight , center stage, everybody wants a piece of you. When you retire, outside of a select few super stars, the world passes you bye. No more center stage, everybody knows who you are etc. You're back to just being Joe Blow common man. That too has to be a big emotional adjustment for a lot of players.

Outside of the obvious physical abuse players bodys absorb one has to consider the mental side. I mean when your a NFL player your in the limelight , center stage, everybody wants a piece of you. When you retire, outside of a select few super stars, the world passes you bye. No more center stage, everybody knows who you are etc. You're back to just being Joe Blow common man. That too has to be a big emotional adjustment for a lot of players.

boo hoo. "i was loved and now i'm ignored." if the $10 million you should've saved can't comfort you i have no sympathy. and if you were too stupid to save-- no sympathy either.

Lemme get this straight... this Jetophile guy is claiming that we should feel sorry for rich and famous professional athletes for the risks they accept and the minute percentages that experience depression as a result of being an ATHLETE... BUT... people who suffer from addictions like alcoholism deserve no sympathy and should "die". Wow.

Anyway, terrible loss. Love to his fam.

Archived