Comeback player of the year poll on ESPN.com

ECURB

What of Brees had Coles Cotch Baker Smith Mccareins Houston Washington?

That's funny,we've been hearing about this friggin award forever all of us and noone knows what the dam thing means!lol

who knows???

to me CPOY is always someone who was written off,left for dead and came back.

Brees hardly fits that bill.Chad does and Garcia pretty much,but Chad had a much more signifigant season.

Grant Hill,there's a comeback player.Drew Brees????I don't think so.

Brees took a 3-13 team to the playoffs and a better record and is having a monster season. He was franchise player basically cut by his team because of his injury and had to sign with one of the worse teams in the league.Turned the entire thing around and put up great numbers to boot.

You want to give the award to Pennington because he played in 15 games. He hasn't done much throwing the ball.

brees has coltston and horn, plus reggie and deuce

now, coles and cotch may be great, but reggie and deuce are better than any of our 3 RBs

Past Winners

2005- Bruschi- stroke in Feb 2005, played in 9 games in 2005

Steve Smith-broke leg game 1, 2004 season

2004-Drew Brees- won it even though he started 11 games the previous season (no injury)

2003- Jon Kitna- Started final 12 games of 2002 season, then won award the next year.

2002-Tommy Maddox- 1992-95 backup, 2000- indoor, 2001- XFL, started 11 games this season. He sucked his whole career, what did he come back from?

2001- Garrison Hearst- only 2 time winner of this award (1995- shared with Jim Harbaugh) broke ankle in 1999, two years re-habbing,rushing for 1,206 yards on a 4.8 average... sounds deserving...

2000- Joe Johnson (New Orleans, DE)- injured in training camp, returned and made the probowl, sounds deserving...

So, in my mind, the most likely scenario is Chad and Brees sharing the award.

Past Winners

2005- Bruschi- stroke in Feb 2005, played in 9 games in 2005

Steve Smith-broke leg game 1, 2004 season

2004-Drew Brees- won it even though he started 11 games the previous season (no injury)

2003- Jon Kitna- Started final 12 games of 2002 season, then won award the next year.

2002-Tommy Maddox- 1992-95 backup, 2000- indoor, 2001- XFL, started 11 games this season. He sucked his whole career, what did he come back from?

2001- Garrison Hearst- only 2 time winner of this award (1995- shared with Jim Harbaugh) broke ankle in 1999, two years re-habbing,rushing for 1,206 yards on a 4.8 average... sounds deserving...

2000- Joe Johnson (New Orleans, DE)- injured in training camp, returned and made the probowl, sounds deserving...

So, in my mind, the most likely scenario is Chad and Brees sharing the award.

Nice info, and i actually think that would be a good comprimise, both players sharing it. Ive been rather clueless myself as to what the requirements are, if it was coming back from when you were wrote off as 100% done...then yes, ofcourse chad gets it. But it seems to be more of a coming back from injury, or after a really bad year. In that case, Chad should get it b/c of the fact he came back from what no one thought he could, and Drew should also, b/c he got hurt and has done a TREMENDOUS amount for the Saints. You cant convince me the saints would be the #2 seed without Brees.

This award is about what a player has done to come back correct?

Lets compare...

Drew Brees-

Everyone keeps saying how NO was a bad team last year, but Brees wasnt on that team... Brees was on a 9-7 Chargers team. This isnt about a teams comeback its about a PLAYER coming back, how is it a "comeback" to win on one team, have surgery in the offseason and then win on your new team? What is Drew Brees coming back from??? a 9-7 record in the AFC???

Chad Pennington-

His numbers are not record breaking, but Chad Pennington after only playing in 3 games last season has come back and taken his team to a 9-6 record with a shot at the playoffs. All of this after being the ONLY player in NFL history to comeback from the injurys he had and on top of that be a WINNER. He has only missed 1 snap for injury and he is about to start the full 16 games on Sunday. NOT ONE PERSON (including myself) would have bet on this even being possible in August....

Chad Pennington is the winner, period.

This award is about what a player has done to come back correct?

Lets compare...

Drew Brees-

Everyone keeps saying how NO was a bad team last year, but Brees wasnt on that team... Brees was on a 9-7 Chargers team. This isnt about a teams comeback its about a PLAYER coming back, how is it a "comeback" to win on one team, have surgery in the offseason and then win on your new team? What is Drew Brees coming back from??? a 9-7 record in the AFC???

Chad Pennington-

His numbers are not record breaking, but Chad Pennington after only playing in 3 games last season has come back and taken his team to a 9-6 record with a shot at the playoffs. All of this after being the ONLY player in NFL history to comeback from the injurys he had and on top of that be a WINNER. He has only missed 1 snap for injury and he is about to start the full 16 games on Sunday. NOT ONE PERSON (including myself) would have bet on this even being possible in August....

Chad Pennington is the winner, period.

The award doesnt have any stipulations/requirements whatever... its a popularity vote.

Brees suffered a torn labrum and partially torn rotator cuff Jan 5th 2006. Chad had a tear in his rotator cuff on Sept 25, 2005.

Brees came back 8 months after his injury, Chad, 11 months. Both suffered MAJOR injuries to their money making shoulder and both have come back and had good seasons

Brees Chad

Attempts: 549 455

Completions 352 291

Comp % 64.1 64.0

yards 4372 3195

yds per attempt 7.96 7.02

Rating 96.1 81.7

TD 26 16

INT 11 16

(sorry this didnt format well, not too good at stuff like this...)

Brees has had 3 bad games this year (rating below 70) week 1 Cleveland, rating67.4

game 14 washington, rating 59.9, game 15 giants, 63.5

best rating 140.8 against Dallas game 13 NO was 2-1 in these games, Brees had over a 100 rating in 4 games (won 3 of them)

Chad has 4 bad games, game 5 jacksonville 28.9, game 8 cleveland, 21.1, game 10 chicago 42.8, and game 13, buffalo 61.8 We lost all 4. Best rating of season, week 1, Tennessee 123.2, second best, against Houston 115.8, we won both.

You decide who should win.... both are deserving because of the severity of their injuries and the season they are having. One doesnt deserve it more than the other. But, again, my opinion.

The award doesnt have any stipulations/requirements whatever... its a popularity vote.

Brees suffered a torn labrum and partially torn rotator cuff Jan 5th 2006. Chad had a tear in his rotator cuff on Sept 25, 2005.

Brees came back 8 months after his injury, Chad, 11 months. Both suffered MAJOR injuries to their money making shoulder and both have come back and had good seasons

Brees Chad

Attempts: 549 455

Completions 352 291

Comp % 64.1 64.0

yards 4372 3195

yds per attempt 7.96 7.02

Rating 96.1 81.7

TD 26 16

INT 11 16

(sorry this didnt format well, not too good at stuff like this...)

Brees has had 3 bad games this year (rating below 70) week 1 Cleveland, rating67.4

game 14 washington, rating 59.9, game 15 giants, 63.5

best rating 140.8 against Dallas game 13 NO was 2-1 in these games, Brees had over a 100 rating in 4 games (won 3 of them)

Chad has 4 bad games, game 5 jacksonville 28.9, game 8 cleveland, 21.1, game 10 chicago 42.8, and game 13, buffalo 61.8 We lost all 4. Best rating of season, week 1, Tennessee 123.2, second best, against Houston 115.8, we won both.

You decide who should win.... both are deserving because of the severity of their injuries and the season they are having. One doesnt deserve it more than the other. But, again, my opinion.

Great Post.

Archived