Dolphins to pay Capers; new head coach next?

ECURB

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2730315

The Miami Dolphins have reached an agreement with defensive coordinator Dom Capers on a deal that will make him the highest-paid assistant coach in the NFL.

Capers' new deal is for three years and an estimated $8.1 million, team sources confirmed. His salary in 2007 will be $2.6 million, equal to that of Washington Redskins assistant head coach/defense Gregg Williams, but Capers will get raises of at least $100,000 per year in 2008 and 2009.

Thats a lot of cash, but now they might have turned off some head coaches who want to bring in "their guys"

Bro Dom is worth it. I think Dom will even improve the defense more in 07 because he will be the only one calling the shots on D and not him and Saban as it was this year. The off season just got better.

Also, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is a finalist for the Miami job, along with Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron. Mort also confirms that Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey is a finalist for the position.

It previously has been reported that Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin had made it from the initial group of 12 down to the second cut of five.

Also, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is a finalist for the Miami job, along with Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron. Mort also confirms that Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey is a finalist for the position.

It previously has been reported that Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin had made it from the initial group of 12 down to the second cut of five.

I personally think Cam Cameron is the best man for the job. I also highly doubt you are getting Shott unless it is as HC.

Don't see how this makes any sense if you're going to bring in another HC. Hey, guy, forget the defense; we got that covered. Huzienga has it ass backward again. It's like he learned nothing from the debacle of Saban. If a new HC wanted to retain Capers, great. But giving him DC before the HC is in place is a huge mistake.

I just dont think Schotty is ready right now. It would be a reach for the phins. Yea yea, I know, look at mangini, but what people forget is that Tannenbaum and Mangini have been friends for years and Tanny knew Mangini would be a special coach 10 years ago. Mangini spent 10 years under perhaps the greatest HC ever. Also spent time with Parcells with Ted Marchibroda. Who did Schotty learn from? Spurrier and his Dad? Not bad, but just doesnt measure up to what Mangini had.

I could be dead wrong here, but I think Schotty needs more time. BuT i AGREe with what has already been mentioned above. Hiring a DC before an HC makes no sense. Huzienger is lost here, the fact taht he was interviewing Pete Carroll after he just got jobbed by a college HC puzzled me. Why would he want to go that route again? He really needs to bring in somebody to run the show for him.

The Dolphins are a mess right now.

Wayne had to move on Capers now otherwise the Giants would have snatched him up. Agreed though it is backwards to hire a DC before the HC is in place.

BUT -- am I missing something here? Maybe I am wrong but is the DC of the Fins making a ton more money than the Jets head coach is? Oh man that is a scary thought.

Archived