Louisville QB Brohm to stay for senior season

faba

Staying in the nest: QB Brohm to return to Louisville

By Joe Schad

Special to ESPN.com

Coach Steve Kragthorpe got a huge boost for his first season as Louisville coach when junior quarterback Brian Brohm announced Monday morning that he is returning to school for another season.

Andy Lyons/Getty Images

Brian Brohm threw for 3,049 yards and 16 TDs in 2006 for Louisville.

"I feel like there's still some things we can do here at the University of Louisville," Brohm said Monday, adding he made his decision Saturday night.

Brohm will be one of the top returning quarterbacks in the nation and a Heisman Trophy candidate.

As a junior, Brohm completed 63.6 percent of his passes for 3,049 yards and 16 touchdowns. Brohm's decision was made in part because Kragthorpe, the former Tulsa coach, is regarded as a quarterbacks guru.

Brohm said after leading Louisville to to a defeat of Wake Forest at the Orange Bowl that he was leaning toward returning for a senior season.

But then head coach Bobby Petrino left Louisville for the Atlanta Falcons. And junior running back Michael Bush declared for the NFL draft.

Kragthorpe met with Brohm several times since accepting the job on Tuesday in an attempt to get Brohm to remain at the hometown school he help put on the map.

Brohm, 6-foot-4, 224 pounds, would have been considered among the top three quarterbacks in this year's draft. His aim now will be to be the top player in the 2008 draft. Brohm has thrown for 6,751 yards and 41 touchdowns in three seasons. Both marks are fourth on the school's career list.

Kragthorpe said he looked forward to spending a year coaching the prize quarterback.

"I think it makes a huge statement about his commitment, not only to this program but to the city of Louisville," he said. "He's going to lead this team to great things and great heights."

Louisville started the season 8-0 before losing at Rutgers on Nov. 9. The Cardinals then won their final four games, including a 24-13 win over Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl, to finish 12-1 and ranked No. 6 in The Associated Press top 25. Joe Schad is ESPN TV's national college football reporter. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Good for him!

I am tired of these primma donnas who bolt early, and I wish him the best of luck next season.

lol...I think his decision was actually motivated more by money than by his love for the college game and his desire to get a degree. He was injured for most of the year, which took his draft stock from top-10 to possibly 2nd round. I think he's trying to build himself back up so he can be a top-10 pick in 2008.

lol...I think his decision was actually motivated more by money than by his love for the college game and his desire to get a degree. He was injured for most of the year, which took his draft stock from top-10 to possibly 2nd round. I think he's trying to build himself back up so he can be a top-10 pick in 2008.

Yeah it seems mor elike he wants to stay, try to win the Heisman, and get paid.

Nothing wrong with that either.

Like ecurb said, there's nothing wrong with that.

A lot of guys who leave early would have had a bigger pay day if they put up strong numbers in their senior year. Frank Gore comes to mind. They leave early anyway, for various reasons.

Maybe he is going to wait and see how the Vick/Petrino experiment works in Atlanta.

Archived