Did anyone listen to Mike and Mike this morning?

ECURB

They were naming shows that get better ratings over the NHL... :rl::rl: It was hillarious...

They named shows from the Food Network, Bravo, TV Land, all of which got better rating than a LIVE NHL game on national TV.... :ahhh:

It is amazing how much the NHL has F'ed up in the past ten years.

They went from having a nice contract with ESPN to having the stupid glowing puck on FOX to now the VS network ? :Nuts:

The NHL expanded and added a zillion teams, then shutdown for entire season and now are having a hard time getting back on track.

I mean honestly...is there any reason to have a team in places like Nashville, Columbus, Atlanta ? I don't care if they are winning now or not, there was no need for it.

Bettman is a jack@ss. He had a golden egg when the Rangers won the cup in 94 and basically ruined it.

Heck I didn't even know the All-Star game was last week.

Hockey is a sport meant to see live- you can not appreciate it watching it on a tv. And I love hockey.
Agree, but the prices for a decent seat are astronomical. The only game I went to this yr was a freebie. I'll save my $$ for the playoffs.

Agree, but the prices for a decent seat are astronomical. The only game I went to this yr was a freebie. I'll save my $$ for the playoffs.

The Devils prices are outrageous to see a game-this is probably the first year in about the last 7 years I have not gone to any hockey games.

The AHL is more exciting IMO... take some of the best guys from the NHL...

The AHL should start making a push... if one of their teams get good enough they could do what the JETS did in 69' and combine the leagues...

The AHL is more exciting IMO... take some of the best guys from the NHL...

The AHL should start making a push... if one of their teams get good enough they could do what the JETS did in 69' and combine the leagues...

:confused:

Dude, the AHL is the minor leagues of the NHL. The talent level is significantly different. If the guys in the AHL were so good, they'd be in the show already.

Hockey is a sport meant to see live- you can not appreciate it watching it on a tv. And I love hockey.

Please, I'm so sick of hearing that statement. If you love the game of hockey, it wouldn't matter if you were listening to it on the radio. I haven't been to a game in about 5 years, I got the center ice package and it's the best thing ever. Personally, I'd rather watch it on TV. If a game sucks, I turn to another.

:confused:

Dude, the AHL is the minor leagues of the NHL. The talent level is significantly different. If the guys in the AHL were so good, they'd be in the show already.

Thats what everyone said about the JETS and the AFL...

the AHL ovbiously has some teams that lack the talent, but the top teams are right up there... and if you merge them it would even out fast...

The Wolfpac is very popular around here, more so than any NHL team...

the AHL ovbiously has some teams that lack the talent, but the top teams are right up there... and if you merge them it would even out fast...

I understand what your saying, but the biggest problem the NHL has is that there are too many teams. Adding more won't help anyone. Diluting talent across the league will only make it an inferior product.

I understand what your saying, but the biggest problem the NHL has is that there are too many teams. Adding more won't help anyone. Diluting talent across the league will only make it an inferior product.

I dont think they should add any... if anything they should drop some...

Regardless of what they do, the NHL in its current form will not last. Its the joke of proffesional sports.

Please, I'm so sick of hearing that statement. If you love the game of hockey, it wouldn't matter if you were listening to it on the radio. I haven't been to a game in about 5 years, I got the center ice package and it's the best thing ever. Personally, I'd rather watch it on TV. If a game sucks, I turn to another.

Hockey has a core group of hard core fans (which I am one) mass distribution will not work and has not worked.

Hocket ain't basketball sonny, scoring ain't everything. Hockey was never ment to be a high scoring game.

10-15 goals per game would increase the fanbase by A LOT...

The PRO BOWLING ASSOCIATION on ESPN gets better ratings... so the whole "not meant to be seen on TV" thing doesnt work... Bowling is boring as hell on TV... Food Network shows got higher ratings...

Maybe hockey needs to change its ways to survive "sonny"

The PRO BOWLING ASSOCIATION on ESPN gets better ratings... so the whole "not meant to be seen on TV" thing doesnt work... Bowling is boring as hell on TV... Food Network shows got higher ratings...

First off, hockey will survive. It has its core group of fans that will watch. 10-15 goals per game will ruin the game and alienate that core group.. We don't need bigger nets. And the NHL doesn't need pseudo-fans like yourself rooting for moronic changes to a game that is fine the way it is. If you were a fan you'd understand that defense is part of the game too. Not just lighting up goaltenders. The game just needs better marketing, not bigger nets. It needs to contract a few teams, as well as relocating a couple of other teams to places that have a climate that will actually produce some snow and ice, not palm trees, and fire ants. Also, the NHL owners need to fire Bettman, and get someone in there that actually has a clue. The NHL is built on a long history of tradition, and switching to bigger nets would be spitting right in the eye of that tradition, as well as the fans who've been loyal for so long.

First off, hockey will survive. It has its core group of fans that will watch. 10-15 goals per game will ruin the game and alienate that core group.. We don't need bigger nets. And the NHL doesn't need pseudo-fans like yourself rooting for moronic changes to a game that is fine the way it is. If you were a fan you'd understand that defense is part of the game too. Not just lighting up goaltenders. The game just needs better marketing, not bigger nets. It needs to contract a few teams, as well as relocating a couple of other teams to places that have a climate that will actually produce some snow and ice, not palm trees, and fire ants. Also, the NHL owners need to fire Bettman, and get someone in there that actually has a clue. The NHL is built on a long history of tradition, and switching to bigger nets would be spitting right in the eye of that tradition, as well as the fans who've been loyal for so long.

No need to call me a fake fan and my ideas moronic...

I support local hockey and I really like the AHL.... the NHL sucks IMO... I am allowed to have that opinion... and the fact is most of america obviously agrees with me.

You can make fun of my ideas all you want but obviously its not working the way it currently is, so be it my ideas or someone elses change is needed.

On the defense comment, if you knew enough about defense you would know that in order to play defense there must be offense... go figure...:roll:

If you make things a little easier on the offense it will force the defense to also step up their game and in theory both the offense and defense should get better...

Hockey is too much about handcuffing the offense, it gets boring to watch... its like soccer on ice with a little hitting... add some more scoring, some more unique defensive schemes to try and stop the scoring and you might actually be able to get some of us "fake fans" to watch it...

No need to call me a fake fan and my ideas moronic...

I support local hockey and I really like the AHL.... the NHL sucks IMO... I am allowed to have that opinion... and the fact is most of america obviously agrees with me.

You can make fun of my ideas all you want but obviously its not working the way it currently is, so be it my ideas or someone elses change is needed.

On the defense comment, if you knew enough about defense you would know that in order to play defense there must be offense... go figure...:roll:

If you make things a little easier on the offense it will force the defense to also step up their game and in theory both the offense and defense should get better...

Hockey is too much about handcuffing the offense, it gets boring to watch... its like soccer on ice with a little hitting... add some more scoring, some more unique defensive schemes to try and stop the scoring and you might actually be able to get some of us "fake fans" to watch it...

The NHL has done plenty to spur the offense, allowing 2 line passes, calling more obstructing and delay of game penalties, and not allowing the goalies to travel into the corners to allow for more forechecking and offensive zone turnovers. We don't need anymore changes, and frankly I don't care what the rest of America thinks about the sport. The fact that American Idol gets incredible ratings says all I need to know about the viewing American public. It proves that they all have their heads up there a$$e$.

And I think I know a little bit about defence, because when I used to play I was a defensemen. What position were you? I'm done arguing with you about this.

The NHL has done plenty to spur the offense, allowing 2 line passes, calling more obstructing and delay of game penalties, and not allowing the goalies to travel into the corners to allow for more forechecking and offensive zone turnovers. We don't need anymore changes, and frankly I don't care what the rest of America thinks about the sport. The fact that American Idol gets incredible ratings says all I need to know about the viewing American public. It proves that they all have their heads up there a$$e$.

And I think I know a little bit about defence, because when I used to play I was a defensemen. What position were you? I'm done arguing with you about this.

I was a left winger, never played much though... I wasnt nearly as good at hockey as I was at other sports...

Im not trying to be rude, just giving my POV and it seems to upset you becuase its not your POV... just chill

At least we should be able to agree they need to cut the fat away and get rid of some teams, the talent is spread way to thin.

This I agree with, teams like Florida, Nashville, Phoneix should not be in this league.

I was a left winger, never played much though... I wasnt nearly as good at hockey as I was at other sports...

Im not trying to be rude, just giving my POV and it seems to upset you becuase its not your POV... just chill

At least we should be able to agree they need to cut the fat away and get rid of some teams, the talent is spread way to thin.

Okay, I'll just make it simple: fire Bettman.

He's ruined the league. He's made it soft, it's pathetic. He came into the league at the pinnacle of its popularity, and he's basically killed it. The NHL has to do away with many things:

1) The amount of penalties called. This is ridiculous, true hockey is much more exciting yet lower scoring because of this. The amount of penalties taking place makes it almost impossible for teams to have enforcers, unless he has skill.

2) Let the players fight! Don't let the refs jump in so early, put it back to the way it should be.

3) Get rid of the rules made by Bettman to allow for higher-scoring games: 2 line passes, not letting the goalie get the puck in the corners, etc. Put the rules back to what they were when hockey was most entertaining.

4) Get rid of all these expansion teams. The level of talent on teams now is so much lower than what it used to be because Bettman keeps adding teams. Get rid of these teams, they're ruining the league. Also, get rid of all the warm-weather teams (unless they have a huge fanbase). Hockey should be played where it could actually snow.

Ok, the list goes on, but I just got tired of writing any more :).

Sorry dont take this offensively but thats a dumb idea. 10-15 goals will kill the remaining core fanbase thats left(many of these fans have already left). There was more scoring pre-lockout around 2002 than there is now. Im ready to quit this game I used to love, no bigger nets, go back to what made hockey popular. Passion. Its missing now, Bettman needs to be fired, a few teams scrapped and then we can move on.

Sorry dont take this offensively but thats a dumb idea. 10-15 goals will kill the remaining core fanbase thats left(many of these fans have already left). There was more scoring pre-lockout around 2002 than there is now. Im ready to quit this game I used to love, no bigger nets, go back to what made hockey popular. Passion. Its missing now, Bettman needs to be fired, a few teams scrapped and then we can move on.

I can live with that.

I went to the Islander game tonight and I learned a lesson and that's to never go to another game against the Devils. If they get a one goal lead the game is over. If they get a two goal lead the game is REALLY over. They just bore you to sleep.

Anyway, while its clear on TV it is even more evident if you go to a game in person and have good seats as I did tonight and thats the fact that the NHL really needs to expand the width of their rinks. The current dimensions just dont cut it anymore, today's players are much more bigger and they have totally outgrown the current dimensions. The ice is so clogged up and players have very little room to move and create in 5 on 5 situations. It doesnt help that there is now an extra ref on the ice too. The width needs to be expanded, they dont have to go olympic size, but something should be done although I know this will probably never happen because owners will not want to give up a few rows of seats. But expanding the width would give the skill players so much more room to operate and SHINE out there and a wider surface would also make it more tougher on teams like the devils who like to trap to death. it would greatly improve the product.

Dude I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about. The AHL are the equivalent of the baseball's Triple A. There are a few players who are about NHL caliber and are good enough to make the pro team, and some may be send up and down during the year, but no AHL team is remotely close to their NHL teams in talent.

What the NHL really needs to do is get rid of at least 4-6 franchises, especially in places like Columbus, Atlanta, Nashville, and Miami. Some of those places may have good teams now, but they are just not hockey towns. They should just put more teams in the north where hockey is more popular, even if they are in smaller cities.

What the NHL really needs to do is get rid of at least 4-6 franchises, especially in places like Columbus, Atlanta, Nashville, and Miami. Some of those places may have good teams now, but they are just not hockey towns. They should just put more teams in the north where hockey is more popular, even if they are in smaller cities.

Indeed.

Connecticut could use a Pro Hockey team and so could Maine.

Archived