Rex Grossman's 2006 Season

oxscott

Why is Rex Grossman being completely thrown under the bus?? Did he get to a Super Bowl is first full year in the league??? Did he not have a decent game against N.O. to get them to that Super Bowl?? I did a quick comparison of Rex Grossman to a few Hall of Fame QB's and one lock for the HOF just to see how he compared, statisticall in that first year.. Now before you throw me under the bus, in no way am I saying the Rex Grossman is a potential HOFer, or can even wipe any of these guys's ass. BUTTT he does compare pretty well to all of these guys in their first full year as a QB in the NFL.

I believe that he should be going into next year as their starting QB and be able to lead his team towards another Super Bowl appearance. He made a lot of "rookie" mistakes, misread coverages, and made poor decisions, but doesnt that come with the territory in your first year playing???

Food for thought, I was amazed when seeing the numbers . . .

Rex Grossman had an up and down season with plenty of inconsistency and scrutiny, but he did make it to the Super Bowl in his FIRST full year as an NFL QB.

Player Games Comp. Att. % Yards Y/A TD INT //RushAtt Yards TD

Grossman 16 262 480 54.6 3193 6.7 23 20 24 2 0

Aikman 15 226 399 56.6 2579 6.5 11 18 40 172 1

Manning 16 326 575 56.7 3739 6.5 26 28 15 62 0

Bradshaw 14 203 373 54.4 2259 6.1 13 22 53 247 5

Moon 16 259 450 57.6 3338 7.4 12 14 58 211 1

case and point of the problem surrounding stats alone...they tend to be misleading. I would be shocked if grossman is there guy for all of the 2007 season, too many times was his play bailed out by the defense. and a super bowl performance that earned him a seat next to Bartman on the Chicago Most Wanted list will certainly cost him his job

sorry for the alignment issue.

If memory serves, he was decent his first few games, then he got hurt, and then again a year later.

Part of the problem is that they treated him with training gloves all the time, its hard to get a rythem.

Then he goes back on one series, sack, fumble, tripped...so yeah, i dobut he'll be starting in 07...but i don't think all is lost on the guy, he could be ok.

Why is Rex Grossman being completely thrown under the bus?? Did he get to a Super Bowl is first full year in the league??? Did he not have a decent game against N.O. to get them to that Super Bowl?? I did a quick comparison of Rex Grossman to a few Hall of Fame QB's and one lock for the HOF just to see how he compared, statisticall in that first year.. Now before you throw me under the bus, in no way am I saying the Rex Grossman is a potential HOFer, or can even wipe any of these guys's ass. BUTTT he does compare pretty well to all of these guys in their first full year as a QB in the NFL.

I believe that he should be going into next year as their starting QB and be able to lead his team towards another Super Bowl appearance. He made a lot of "rookie" mistakes, misread coverages, and made poor decisions, but doesnt that come with the territory in your first year playing???

Rex Grossman had an up and down season with plenty of inconsistency and scrutiny, but he did make it to the Super Bowl in his FIRST full year as an NFL QB.

I think that's great stuff,people forget that was Grossman's first year.

I'm not a fan of UF qb's,or Grossman,but nice post,shows a hell of a lot of perspective

I think that's great stuff,people forget that was Grossman's first year.

I'm not a fan of UF qb's,or Grossman,but nice post,shows a hell of a lot of perspective

It might have been his first year starting... but it wasn't his first season, and it wasn't his first game. So, Rex has exactly zero in common with those players. Well, except they're all football players. People forget Rex has been in the league for three years.

Grossman got to the Super Bowl because the Bears had a great defense and the NFC stunk this year. Comparing him to the likes of Aikman, Manning and Bradshaw and even Warren Moon is mind-boggling to say the least. Even the biggest Bears' homer would have to admit Grossman is nowhere near the QB those guys were.

Da Bears need to upgrade at QB.

Grossman played like a rookie, and considering that he was injured for most of his short career prior to that, he essentially was a rookie. It's not like he sat on the sidelines getting NFL practice for 2 years before he started. Mentally he may have learned some things, but most certainly not the physical aspect of dealing with the speed of the game. Considering that, he had a pretty decent year. Yes his D certainly won a couple games where Rex sh*t the bed, but don't foget they won a few shootouts on Rex's shoulders as well. The Bears D was a shell of their former selves once Harris and Brown went down. I'm not proclaiming that Rex is going to be a great or even a good QB, but he does not deservethe rampant criticism he has received. No matter how you slice it he had a much bettrer season than Pennington, yet the same people that want to tear Grossman down after his first legitimate season are the ones willing to give Pennington more and more chances. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, but mark my words: Had the Bears won the SB and Rex had a decent game yo would hear nonstop comparisons to Brett Favre for being a wreckless gunslinger who can make the big play while throwijng some big INT's.

I have to agree with you Boozer, it is not like this kid has had a ton of game experience or even practice experience. He has the skills and has alot to learn but that is what there are coaches for. The one thing he has above others is a cannon. If we are going to scrutinize qbs, lets talk about Eli

The Bears D was a shell of their former selves once Harris and Brown went down. I'm not proclaiming that Rex is going to be a great or even a good QB, but he does not deservethe rampant criticism he has received. No matter how you slice it he had a much bettrer season than Pennington, yet the same people that want to tear Grossman down after his first legitimate season are the ones willing to give Pennington more and more chances.

Living in Chi-town I get to hear non-stop crap from the lynch mob that's formed over the airwaves and in the rest of the media. I just shake my head and compare the Bears QB situation vs. ours. A lot of similarities between what Grossman did in the SB and what we live with in Chad. On paper, which is what the Pennington faithful will throw out on the table and point both forefingers to, Rex doesn't get lynched - just kicked in the nuts. C'mon! 20-28 and a touchdown, look at his completion %. Ok... the 2 picks kinda screwed us but those things just happen. Yeah, he didn't protect the ball real well either when he actually put both hands on it.

Anybody that watched the game knew that Grossman had ZERO chance of bringing the Bears back into it after they lost the lead. Turn-overs and special teams magic is a different story, but as far as Rex sustaining a drive, forget it.

To me it was transparent to having Chad in there. Even the death knell interception to Hayden was very Chadesque.

Here's the difference. Grossman has a cannon for an arm and say all you want about him being in the saddle for 3 years - he hasn't started that many games to be counted out. He's not Chad in a lot of ways. Chad has vastly superior smarts, work ethic, and commitment to give 500% on the field and off. I'd take my chances with Grossman any day of the week until he proves he just doesn't have all that it takes.

Archived