Wow. Yanks don't want stiffer roid penalties. Go figure

TomShane

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/23654.htm

SELIG PROPOSAL STRIKES OUT WITH YANKS

By EVAN GROSSMAN

May 2, 2005 -- "I think the program we have in place is working." MIKE STANTON

Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig wants stiffer penalties for players caught using steroids, but many believe it's too early to start introducing new policies and that doing so may just be a way to get Congress off baseball's back.

"From my understanding, Congress is coming down on us pretty hard so I'm sure there's going to be some sort of additions to it or stiffer penalties," Derek Jeter said of the current steroid policy, which was implemented in January.

Major League Baseball galvanized its stance against performance-enhancing drugs when introducing the current steroid policy, which includes 10-game suspensions and the release of offending names to the public for a first strike. Selig is asking the players for those penalties to start at 50 games for the first positive steroids test, 100 games for the second and a lifetime ban for a third.

"I think the program we have in place is working," said Mike Stanton, who thinks public humiliation is enough of a deterrent. "Nobody wants to be known as a cheater. We'll just have to see where negotiations lead. The program we had in place, in my opinion, we have to give it a chance to work. I mean, it's been in place now for what, you count spring training, 21/2 months?"

Players said the biggest deterrent with the current policy is having your name released if you test positive.

"The biggest reason, the biggest thing that would scare most people is being identified," Jeter said. "I don't think it's the games because you're obviously taking a chance if you're going to do it anyway. The biggest thing that keeps people [from doing steroids] is your name will always be associated with it."

Jason Giambi, who was revealed as a steroids user when his grand jury testimony in the BALCO case was leaked earlier this year, didn't have an opinion when asked after Saturday's game about Selig's proposal.

"I'm just worried about playing baseball," Giambi said.

Selig will implement the 50-100-life bans in the minor leagues in 2006 and wants to bring the stiffer penalties to the majors as well. In addition, Selig wants to include amphetamines in the testing and have players screened more frequently.

"I think whatever policy we have, people are going to say it should be stricter," Jeter said. "But I think you have to give it some opportunity to work. Whatever program you have, whatever penalties you have, you got to give it a chance to work before you scrutinize it."

Since the March 17 hearing in front of the House Government Reform Committee, MLB has taken a beating in the public eye.

"Regardless of what the penalty is, someone's going to say it should be stricter," Jeter said. "They could say you get banned for a year the first time you get caught and somebody will say it should be two years. Whatever it is, you have to give it a chance. Whatever you come to, whatever conclusion you come to, whatever penalties you come to, you have to give it a chance."

Question: How bad would the Yanks record be this year WITHOUT roids?

Not a suprise.

I was listening to ESPN radio this morning and you got the same from Johnny Damon and the Rangers Michael Young. While Frank Thomas of the White Sox is for Selig's plan.

I like Selig's plan. I think though that if you are going to install penalites like this then your testing had better be perfect. Something like the Olympics. (Which may be the only thing IOC does right). There should also be an independent party that administers the testing. This way you don't have the chance that MLB would sweep someone's positive test under the carpet. (i.e. Bonds, Sheffield, Beltran the superstar type.)

If you had the kind of penalties Selig is asking for you would see the steroid problem go away tommorow. I don't think there would be a player dumb enough to risk a 50 game suspension by deciding to take steroids.

Bravo Bud =D>=D>=D>

Let see how Donald Fehr spins this one. If he says NO it would not suprise me in the least to see Selig go to congress and say. "Look I have done what I can" Let's see what you can do.

The last thing MLB wants is congress involved in this. (Not that they aren't already)

How bad would the Yankees be without roids?

Great question, Tom. I wish it could be answered. Unfortunately it is a contradiction. Without the Yankee payroll being what it is (a disgrace to the integrity of the sport) there wouldnt be such rampant abuse.

Everyone wants the huge contract (everyone wants to play for the Yankees) I know the homers will tell me, "No JBF, its the Yankee lore" but we all know it is all about blood money!

I dont think it is just hunger for the big leagues in/of itself. Baseball has been around for 100+ years. Steroids have only been killing the sport for about the last 10 years......hmmm.......about as long as the Yankee payroll has been killing the sport.

Archived