Is Jones the second coming of Martin for Jets? USA Today

SoFlaJets

Thomas Jones gives the Jets a 28-year-old tailback who has collected more than 1,200 rushing yards in two straight seasons.

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY

Nearly 10 years after his most famous acquisition, Mike Tannenbaum has pulled off another magical deal to obtain a top-notch running back.

The New York Jets general manager made his mark with a shrewd, 1998 offer sheet that pried then-restricted free agent Curtis Martin from the New England Patriots; Martin went on to become the Jets' career rushing leader.

In the recent move, Tannenbaum engineered a similarly praised deal to land Martin's replacement, Thomas Jones, from the Chicago Bears.

Not only did Tannenbaum fill his team's biggest void for a swap of second-rounders, he found an answer to the AFC East champion Patriots getting stronger by signing free agent linebacker Adalius Thomas and trading for Miami Dolphins wideout Wes Welker.

For moving down 26 spots in the second round (New York exchanged its 37th pick for Chicago's 63rd selection and Jones), the Jets landed arguably the best running back available in the market.

It's a seemingly lean draft class for backs after top-rated Adrian Peterson from Oklahoma and California's Marshawn Lynch, so Tannenbaum won't have to reach for an unproven talent with Jones around. Plus, by merely moving down in the second round, the Jets hold onto their four first-day picks.

The Jones deal may not have been as audacious as Tannenbaum's heist of Martin

Lets hop Tjones does great things for the NYJ...

Most in Chicago called him the best offensive player on the Bears, considering they were in the superbowl I would say we got a hell of a pickup.

in other news... Smizzy likes to play the skin flute

We got Martin a bit younger and he had 8 fantastic seasons here. Jones will be lucky to last 4 or 5. Curtis Martin is a 1st ballot HOF'er. Thomas Jones is nowhere near that. He's a nice pick-up, a good #1 back, but nothing special.

We got Martin a bit younger and he had 8 fantastic seasons here. Jones will be lucky to last 4 or 5. Curtis Martin is a 1st ballot HOF'er. Thomas Jones is nowhere near that. He's a nice pick-up, a good #1 back, but nothing special.

When Grossman has less then 50 QB rating, and then the Bears still came out with a win. Who do you think carried them ? I know you might say the defense but Thomas Jones was a big, big part of their SB run.

When Grossman has less then 50 QB rating, and then the Bears still came out with a win. Who do you think carried them ? I know you might say the defense but Thomas Jones was a big, big part of their SB run.

Defense, T.Jones & Benson, Robbie Gould's automatic foot & Devin Hester.

8 fantastic seasons here?

1998 3.5ypc

1999 4.0ypc (5 TD's in 16 games)

2000 3.8ypc

2001 4.5ypc

2002 4.2ypc (and killed us until game 5)

2003 4.0ypc (2 TD's in 16 games)

2004 4.6ypc

2005 3.3ypc (7 of 13 games under 2.9ypc)

I'll give you 2001 and 2004, but 8 fantastic seasons here? Lol.

8 fantastic seasons here?

1998 3.5ypc

1999 4.0ypc (5 TD's in 16 games)

2000 3.8ypc

2001 4.5ypc

2002 4.2ypc (and killed us until game 5)

2003 4.0ypc (2 TD's in 16 games)

2004 4.6ypc

2005 3.3ypc (7 of 13 games under 2.9ypc)

I'll give you 2001 and 2004, but 8 fantastic seasons here? Lol.

Is Curtis Martin a Hall Of Famer? In your opinion of course.

Is Curtis Martin a Hall Of Famer? In your opinion of course.

No. He was a very good RB who put up great career totals in large part due to his great durability & not spending his career on doormat teams. He was rarely great for an entire season & could not be depended upon against top defenses for us, even in his best single season.

But there are others in the HOF who I don't think should be in there either, so I'm not singling out Martin. So if they're going to make it the hall of very-good by putting non-great players like Harry Carson in there, then Martin would qualify.

Ask yourself this: How often have we faced a top rush defense & you thought, "It doesn't matter; Martin's going to eat them ALIVE." - and then watched in awe as he did just that?

No. He was a very good RB who put up great career totals in large part due to his great durability & not spending his career on doormat teams. He was rarely great for an entire season & could not be depended upon against top defenses for us, even in his best single season.

But there are others in the HOF who I don't think should be in there either, so I'm not singling out Martin. So if they're going to make it the hall of very-good by putting non-great players like Harry Carson in there, then Martin would qualify.

Ask yourself this: How often have we faced a top rush defense & you thought, "It doesn't matter; Martin's going to eat them ALIVE." - and then watched in awe as he did just that?

Calling out Martin in a JETS forum is like Calling Jesus gay outloud in church...

I have to agree with you though... (no that does not mean I think Jesus is gay! lol)

Archived