Elliott Pellman Strikes Again

Lil Bit Special

http://www.nbcsports.com/bellowingmoose/1294366/detail.html

Making this story all the more interesting is the presence of team doctor Elliott Pellman, the former head of the NFL's concussion committee, who has been criticized in the past for understating the effect of concussions on athletes. As the team doctor for the NY Jets, Pellman fired a club neuropsychologist who had expressed concerns that Pellman was using selective data in an attempt to downplay the effects concussions were having on NFL players

That wasn't Pellman's first brush with controversy. His NY Jets bio claimed that he studied medicine in the U.S., but a N.Y. Times investigation showed that he had actually gone to medical school in Guadalajara, Mexico.

The Islanders angrily denied the report, and said that DiPietro would be back later in the week, perhaps as soon as Friday against Buffalo. But DiPietro didn

In fairness to pellman, Shawn Avery did sit on DiPietro's head last sunday and Jagr did belt a slap shot off his face.

but the team denied it was a concussion until now, and allowed him to play hockey even though his neurological tests came back bad... His job is to make sure these guys dont play if they have concussions... he needs to stand up to the team and coach and say "no, this guy cannot play... he will do permanent damage" and this jackass refuses to do it. He obviously didnt learn from his experience with Wayne Chrebet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2636795

Elliot Pellman looks Wayne Chrebet in the eye in the fourth quarter of a tight game, Jets vs. Giants on Nov. 2, 2003, at the Meadowlands. A knee to the back of the head knocked Chrebet stone-cold unconscious a quarter earlier, and now the Jets' team doctor is putting the wideout through a series of mental tests. Pellman knows Chrebet has suffered a concussion, but the player is performing adequately on standard memory exercises.

"This is very important for you," the portly physician tells the local hero, as was later reported in the New York Daily News. "This is very important for your career."

Then he asks, "Are you okay?" When Chrebet replies, "I'm fine," Pellman sends him back in.

Probably had the same discussion with DiPietro.... hope it isnt the same result....

jets fans love to talk about cutting players, sacking coaches etc, but no one talks about Elliot Pellman.

The man is an embarassment to the franchise. He was also the team doctor when that OL lost his leg a few years ago and sued the NYJ. He is terrible, I cannot believe he kept his job after it came out he lied on his resume. I have a great deal of bile for this man, he should have been fired years ago.

Maybe Pellman is a bad doctor. But the fact that some sports reporter says it doesn't make it true.

How many times have we seen players misquoted? I want to see some independent corroboration (and not just from a disgruntled ex-employee) before I buy the story.

Maybe Pellman is a bad doctor. But the fact that some sports reporter says it doesn't make it true.

How many times have we seen players misquoted? I want to see some independent corroboration (and not just from a disgruntled ex-employee) before I buy the story.

You want to see some independent corroboration? You can't HANDLE independent corroboration. For that matter, I can't handle independent corroboration.

Big words make me poop.

Big words, and too much fennel.

In case you were curious.

Look it up in Google, type in Elliott Pellman, and click news... there are plenty of articles criticizing him for the lousy work he did as head of the concussion committee... not to mention he lied in his bio where he did his medical training.... You want me to list links? I could spend all night doing it...

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=477534

Doesnt believe mouthpieces help prevent concussions...

http://www.braininjurylawblog.com/brain-injury-news-nfl-sacks-elliot-pellman.html

Baltimore Sun article and New York Times report outline the controversy that has been surrounding the NFL and its research committee. Critics of the NFL assert that independent research widely contradicts the reports issued by the NFL's concussion committee. Certainly, independent research is needed to protect injured athletes.

And we trusted our players to a guy who is contradicting independent research....

http://www.thejournalnews.com/scenes/122904.htm

Al Toon had a bad one during the 1992 season

Archived