Combine notes; faba factor?

R44

First of all, congrats TS and Maxman for getting faba as a mod--great choice...Kind of reminds me of being a kid and seeing the USFL land Jim Kelly and some other stars (instant credibility for a new product). Perfect fit and will make sure this site is going in the right direction.

##########

Some (unofficial) 40 times from today's Combine at QB:

Matt Jones, Arkansas, 4.43 & 4.37

Aaron Rodgers, Cal-Berkely, 4.8 & 4.71

Alex Smith, Utah, 4.68

Stephan LeFors, Louisville, 4.53

Adrian McPherson, 4.72

Josh Haldi, No.Illinois, 4.64 & 4.64

Kyle Orton, Purdue, 5.1

Dan Orlovsky, Connecticut, 4.95

Bryan Randall, Virginia Tech, 4.68 & 4.66

Some (unofficial) 40 times from today's Combine at WR:

Mike Williams, USC, 4.61 & 4.59

Troy Williamson, South Carolina, 4.38 & 4.4

Jerome Mathis, Hampton, 4.32 & 4.31

Dan Sheldon, No.Illinois, 4.46 & 4.45

Tab Perry, UCLA, 4.49 & 4.36

Courtney Roby, Indiana,4.33 & 4.4

Rasheed Marshall, Pitt 4.52

Steve Savoy, Utah, 4.68 & 4.65

Chad Owens, Hawaii, 4.63

J.R Russell, Louisville, 4.51 & 4.5

Isaac West, Furman, 4.54 & 4.42

Chauncy Stovall, FSU, 4.66

Paris Warren, Utah, 4.69

Leron McCoy, Indiana (PA) 4.40

Terrence Murphy, Texas A&M, 4.45

Breaking News: Some official 40 times for top RB's at the Combine so far today (Sunday).

Darren Sproles~Kansas State-4.46

Ryan Moats~Louisiana Tech-4.46

Carnell Williams~Auburn-4.50

Eric Shelton~Louisville-4.54

QB Alex Smith of Utah ran an "unofficial" 4.68 in the 40 yard dash Sunday, an excellent time for a QB. Smith will not participate in the QB passing drills.

Southern Illinois RB Brandon Jacobs, who is 6'4" and 260, but can play TE and FB ran a 4.6 40

North Carolina State RB T.A McClenedon ran a very dissapointing 4.7 "unofficially" at the combine Sunday.

R44:

There were 6 other AFC fan sites that wanted FABA. And two NFC ones.

It was a huge deal. We were up all night hammering out the details. The man is a shrewd negotiator. Reminds me of Scott Boras.

Gonna check out the comine info now.

First of all, congrats TS and Maxman for getting faba as a mod--great choice...Kind of reminds me of being a kid and seeing the USFL land Jim Kelly and some other stars (instant credibility for a new product). Perfect fit and will make sure this site is going in the right direction.

##########

Some (unofficial) 40 times from today's Combine at QB:

Alex Smith, Utah, 4.68

Adrian McPherson, 4.72

Josh Haldi, No.Illinois, 4.64 & 4.64

Kyle Orton, Purdue, 5.1

Dan Orlovsky, Connecticut, 4.95

Bryan Randall, Virginia Tech, 4.68 & 4.66

Dan Sheldon, No.Illinois, 4.46 & 4.45

Tab Perry, UCLA, 4.49 & 4.36

Chad Owens, Hawaii, 4.63

J.R Russell, Louisville, 4.51 & 4.5

Isaac West, Furman, 4.54 & 4.42

Chauncy Stovall, FSU, 4.66

Paris Warren, Utah, 4.69

Leron McCoy, Indiana (PA) 4.40

Breaking News: Some official 40 times for top RB's at the Combine so far today (Sunday).

QB Alex Smith of Utah ran an "unofficial" 4.68 in the 40 yard dash Sunday, an excellent time for a QB. Smith will not participate in the QB passing drills.

Southern Illinois RB Brandon Jacobs, who is 6'4" and 260, but can play TE and FB ran a 4.6 40

North Carolina State RB T.A McClenedon ran a very dissapointing 4.7 "unofficially" at the combine Sunday.

R44 you are making me blush- but thanks for the complement -you already know my feelings about your wealth of knowledge about football and many other subjects. If you look at thread I posted from Gil Brandt Nfl.com they have Mathis as possibly breaking the combine record time

Alex Smith, Utah, 4.68

Adrian McPherson, 4.72

Awesome, Rigs. These, IMO, are the most eye-popping of the numbers, especially the QB's, and (my personal fave) Eric Shelton.

I still don't know what I'd do with Matt Jones if I drafted him. TE? WR? He looks like a project in every sense of the word. Personally, I'd wait until the the end of the 3rd round and if he's still there (HIGHLY unlikely, I know) ask him if he'd want to play OLB for me.

R44:

There were 6 other AFC fan sites that wanted FABA. And two NFC ones.

It was a huge deal. We were up all night hammering out the details. The man is a shrewd negotiator. Reminds me of Scott Boras.

Gonna check out the comine info now.

On a related note,i just fired my agent who apparently didn't even know negotiations were going on.

quote]

Yep, far more important that a prospective NFL QB shines in the 40-yard dash instead of displaying his throwing ability. :o:o:o

Smizz, I just talked to your agent. WHat's this about having your own memrobilia stand outside of the stadium? Private planes? Two locker stalls? :lol:

No,that's the new deal im working on with JI. They know talent when they see it and have approved my Arod like requests.

Once i heard the VD shots around here weren't free,i had to rethink my position.

Plus i couldn't compete..i hear Faba & maxman work the same corner in harlem,how can i compete with that?

Good job Maxman and yes, faba is that good....Quite a pick up...Even beyond the football knowledge, there is a touch of class and civility, that's tough to ignore.

######

Yes, Jacobs was an Auburn RB....Just wait till they show their "next RB" Tre Smith---You'll have to scrape my pal TS off the floor, when he sees a white tailback named Tre, running like a freak :P

---If this happens...He was superstar as a freshman when he started (7 yards per game).

######

As I told you the other day, the teen draftniks at another site will be in for a huge suprise with Jones (they were strongly projecting him a 7th rounder to undrafted)...

I had him as a 3rd rounder in October (T.BAY and Balt.)....I think he shouldn't go in round one, but who knows?

NFL network had video from Mobile, where he was toying with star CB's like McFadden and Webster--just insane stuff...really.

If he wants to play, he'll be good.

##########

Faba, I've felt for a while now, that Jerome Mathis of Hampton is the best "small school" WR....At least that's the info floating around--Eagles are said to particularly smitten with Mathis, who was at star the Gridiorn Classic.

Brackins is a good prospect, but somewhat unknown and raw.

Vincent Jackson had some rough times at the Senior Bowl and some wonder if he has to play TE due to speed issues.

Mathis is seen as just above average fast and explosive.

TS, don't get me wrong, Jones jump to the NFL will be a tough one....

But I've known for a while he's been considered 'freakish" as a receiver...

Ever time Razor HC Houston Nutt tried to move to WR, he threatened to quit, saying basically: "If I can't play QB, the NBA is realistic" :twisted:

But his height is great for a NFL WR; poor for an NBA Power foward...

I guess he stopped that fantasy?

I'd say he's a WR, at first. SB tapes tapes showed him 'abusing CB's" ..

If he struggles there, you play him at TE....

#######

Tre Smith isn't just a white tailback. He's Justin Timberlake on roids :P

He's trying to get an extra red-shirt season, bty. missed most of 2004--not that he was needed anyway....But he still deserves a chance to start.

http://www.auburntigers.com/football/page.cfm?doc_id=764

SmithTre_072004.jpg

Rigs, remember that white tailback who played at Indiana a few years back, Breet Law? He had like 250 yards in a game once. I wonder what happened to him.

(If Rigs knows where he is, I quit :lol: )

Come on RIGS help me out. HELP ME OUT RIGS.

Brett Law (played in the early 1990's) is, I believe, in a front office capacity with the Colts or the University of Indiana.....(or was).

Hoosiers had a star RB in the mid 1990's named Alex Smith--he wanted to be the 1st white to RB to lead the nation in rushing since Louie Giamona in the 1970's (Giamona is Dick Vermeils nephew and played with, no suprise, the Eagles)...

I've seen from veteran Jet fans at JI that Giamona played for the Jets in 1976 (Holtz era)....But my watching doesn't go that far back....Where is Baddniss, when you need him? :twisted:

Actually, Alex Smith never led the nation in rushing, but Chance Krestchmer did in 2001 (he's in the upcoming draft, but not a hot prospect after some ACL tears)...

Brett Law, of Sheridan, Ind., established the high school mark for points in a season with 453. Law would later play for the Indiana Hoosiers.

R44

That Marshall is from West Virginia not Pitt right you think he has a shot to make the switch to wide receiver-opinions out there

Thanks faba, this cat can't get a break from me--last time I wrote him up as "Rasheed Wallace" :twisted:

Ladies and gentlemen, the Oracle, Riggins. Max, I hand you my whistle.

Un-freaking-believable. :lol::lol:

Tom I found a loophole. You resignation is invalid.

The Oracle Bylaws state that he may not wager against mortals. You are safe.

Faba, I've felt for a while now, that Jerome Mathis of Hampton is the best "small school" WR....At least that's the info floating around--Eagles are said to particularly smitten with Mathis, who was at star the Gridiorn Classic.

I'll verify this ... R44 has been high on Mathis for months

R44, did you see the numbers Gil Brandt attached to Mathis ... ran one 40 in the 4.2's ... Brandt suggested he ran the fastest 40 since Deion Sanders :shock:

Anyway, what does this mean IYO?

I'm thinking this makes Mathis a 2nd RD Lock, but I'm also wondering if this can make him a surprise LATE ONE?

As we both know every year the combines will see certain players fly up the board like a rocket and others fall like a house of cards ... happens every year ... I have no question Mathis rockets up the board now, but how high?

Does he jump over Roby now? His numbers didn't look too shabby either.

Roby made a good showing as well ... 4.4 and 4.38

I'm thinking both kids are solid 2nd Rounders now

Honest truth, I would be thrilled if the Jets can land either of these kids ... but I have a real bias towards Roby because I saw him at the Senior Bowl and immediately predicted he would fly into the 2nd RD ... week or two later most Guru's had him going in RD 2 8)

Roby made a good showing as well ... 4.4 and 4.38

I'm thinking both kids are solid 2nd Rounders now

Honest truth, I would be thrilled if the Jets can land either of these kids ... but I have a real bias towards Roby because I saw him at the Senior Bowl and immediately predicted he would fly into the 2nd RD ... week or two later most Guru's had him going in RD 2 8)

Ham, consider this--across message boards all over America right now, posters are citing you, Bit and Rigs as "draft gurus." LOL! That must be an awesome feeling! Can I have your autograph before you get too big? :lol:

Hammer, basically, Mathis is a faster version of Tim Dwight--receiver, kick ret; punt returner; can run the reverse...

NFL teams just love him, from what I've read....I see the Eagles have actually privately pronounced their love for Mathis....Which Kiper found out :P

After today's combine, he's a second rounder....But I doubt he's got the polished skills to go in round 1--at least that's what GM's seem to be hinting at.

But really, who knows if he can go in round 1?

Think the Eagles might bite that high--round 1?

Some felt they wanted him in round 2 or 3...but now?

######

TS, I read an article on Law a while back...After a brief try-out with the Colts, they told him he was welcomed in their front office--as a kid of 22 or 23.

TS, you know who the official photographer and webmaster at Colts.com is?

Remember OC Eric Mahlum, 1994 2nd round pick (Faulk and Alberts were the 1st rounders)?

Now that's that's weird. A former "blockhead" player is the teams web-master and lead photog :lol:

Hammer, basically, Mathis is a faster version of Tim Dwight--receiver, kick ret; punt returner; can run the reverse...

NFL teams just love him, from what I've read....I see the Eagles have actually privately pronounced their love for Mathis....Which Kiper found out :P

After today's combine, he's a second rounder....But I doubt he's got the polished skills to go in round 1--at least that's what GM's seem to be hinting at.

But really, who knows if he can go in round 1?

Think the Eagles might bite that high--round 1?

Some felt they wanted him in round 2 or 3...but now?

######

TS, I read an article on Law a while back...After a brief try-out with the Colts, they told him he was welcomed in their front office--as a kid of 22 or 23.

TS, you know who the official photographer and webmaster at Colts.com is?

Remember OC Eric Mahlum, 1994 2nd round pick (Faulk and Alberts were the 1st rounders)?

Now that's that's weird. A former "blockhead" player is the teams web-master and lead photog :lol:

R44 only you could dig up info on this guy Mahlum who I never even heard of-amazing.

GJ & Ham

what do you think about Moats times that are posted 4.46 not too bad for your guy.

Mahlum was a combine star and upcoming OC until injuries destroyed his career after a few seasons...Was the 32nd overall pick in 1994--so would've been a 1st rounder today.

At like 28, when the Net first caught fire, he ran Colts.com and still does....is even a big time photog for NFL.com--not what you'd expect from an O-Lineman that once the ran the 40 in like a 4.7!

##

Moats did well...But his only problems are, the demand for RB's his size in the NFL isn't high and this draft is real deep at that slot..

But as Hammer says, he's probably a 2nd to 3rd rounder..based on talent and speed.

Archived