Ubiquitous Paradoxical Dichotomy

Warfish

DISCLAIMER: This opinion is not meant to offend or piss anyone off. It's just my rather limited viewpoint. Apologies to our fine hosts if they feel this was an attack, as it isnt meant that way at all.....

---------------------------------------------------

There seems to be a problem afoot.....at least as I see it.

We now have two message boards where once was one. Which in most circumstances would be fine, no worries. Twice the fun, right?

But it isn't working out the way I would have hoped.

The one thing JI was great at (IMO) was SERIOUS (and I mean that in all Caps) Football Talk. Threads where, at any time, you could have a dozen really knowledgeable football minds debating a particular topic. And I mean the kind of debate that becomes legend IMO.

But now?

Now JI is seemingly run by no-fun children newbies and angry no-fun-allowed vets, most of whom either cannot or will not post anything that seems to be a rational thought. It doesn't help that the very best football minds IMO (for the most part) have emigrated here. Threads there devolve into childish "you're a poop, No YOU'RE a poop" debate and the board is packed with worthless tripe.

And here? Well, there doesn't seem to be much SERIOUS (again, meant in all caps) discussion going down at all, at least in the threads I've read so far....and I've been just as joking and funny (well, trying to, I'm not very funny) as anyone else. Even the most serious football threads devolve into gay jokes and bestiality (hey, if that's what your into) by the third post.

But the really good, really serious football debate/discussion is seemingly no where to be found right now. And while I KNOW it's the off-season....and perhaps we should all chill anyway......I miss those really serious threads.

Am I insane here guys? I trust most of you to be honest, am I wrong? Am I being a killjoy arsehole? I don't mean to be.......

Sorry Tom and Max, you know (I hope) that I really like both you guys and appreciate your new site. This isn't aimed at you or your administration at all.

It's more of a general feeling of malaise.....

I don't know. Set me strait guys.

No, you're not insane. I've noticed it too.

I'm of two thoughts...

1) This problem will be reigned in as the board grows and as posters such as you and I "pressure it".... I've been a bit of a topic-starter whore to try and promote legit discussion.

2) Failing that a "strong suggestion" to keep pure-non-football posts to a single thread or two might be a good idea.... although it should always be fine to explain why Chad Pennington is a noodle armed QB *AND* call TomShane a homo in the same post anywhere.

We're just trying to jump start the board and have some fun. You can post a serious topic and im sure people will be SERIOUS.

I know, I get it it. And I MEAN it when I say I didn't mean my post as a slight. Laugh at me if you like, but I respect the HELL out of many of you all here. I'm no egomaniac, but I know my share of football, and I know BS when I read it. And you guys KNOW your stuff. I mean REALLY know it. And hanging out with you all has been a blast the past year....I don't feel like a lonely exile stuck in Redskins land anymore. You cannot understand the value of that to me. (like I said, go ahead and laugh at me if you like, it does sound cheesy...).

Like I said, I could be just feeling off and not "getting it" right now. I don't have anything worth starting a thread here....and I find myself not really having anything to say in the fun, joking threads either. I'm just not very funny....

I know, I get it it. And I MEAN it when I say I didn't mean my post as a slight. Laugh at me if you like, but I respect teh HELL out of many of you all here. You guys know your stuff. And hanging out with you all has been a blast the past year....I don;t feel like a lonely exile stuck in Redskins land anymore.

Like I said, I could be just feeling off and not "getting it" right now. I don't have anything worth starting a thread here....and I find myself not really having anything to say in the fun, joking threads either. I'm just not very funny....

Post away Big Daddy...Im with you.

WARFISH TO THE PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE. WARFISH TO THE PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE.

Hey I am going to answer your question seriously. I won't speak for any other site. But I will tell you what the goal is for JetNation.com.

The goal is to talk JETS football first and foremost. But to have some fun along the way.

It is really that simple.

Now you bring up a good point about there not being a lot of serious discussion going on here right now. But please remember one thing. We have basically been open for like 4 days or so! Think about it we have 6,000 posts and over 130 users already.

The idea for www.jetnation.com was all mine. Don't let Tom tell you otherwise. I woke up one night and heard a voice. That voice said:

If you build it they will come.

Tom and I built it. The rest is how they say, internet history! So I recommend that you sit back and enjoy the ride. Because I think this is going to be a pretty cool place. I mean that. And based on the influx of new posters that are coming, I don't see a problem with having serious football discussions. That is ultimately our goal.

(Sorry for the YJF type post by the way).

WARFISH TO THE PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE. WARFISH TO THE PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE.

Hey I am going to answer your question seriously. I won't speak for any other site. But I will tell you what the goal is for JetNation.com.

The goal is to talk JETS football first and foremost. But to have some fun along the way.

It is really that simple.

Now you bring up a good point about there not being a lot of serious discussion going on here right now. But please remember one thing. We have basically been open for like 4 days or so! Think about it we have 6,000 posts and over 130 users already.

The idea for www.jetnation.com was all mine. Don't let Tom tell you otherwise. I woke up one night and heard a voice. That voice said:

If you build it they will come.

Tom and I built it. The rest is how they say, internet history! So I recommend that you sit back and enjoy the ride. Because I think this is going to be a pretty cool place. I mean that. And based on the influx of new posters that are coming, I don't see a problem with having serious football discussions. That is ultimately our goal.

(Sorry for the YJF type post by the way).

Fuc*ing suit response :o

Fish, definitely a good point. I was just considering apologizing to guys like Rigs and GJ about that recently. I'm actually in charge of content, and I agree that, right now, we have alot of ass-clowning going on, and it is entirely my fault.

However, we are working on the front page right now, and there are some serious, thought-provoking articles going up on it. As soon as that goes up, it will incite more serious convo, absolutely.

Also, it's the off-season, and outside of draft profiles and FA talk, there's not much going on. In light of that, a little toilet-humor and dicking around ain't all that bad.

We won't ever be the Wall Street Journal of fan-sites(we'll always be a couple of goofballs), but as we get closer to the season, and as the site develops, we'll improve as far as serious content is concerned.

To put my two cents in the off-season you are always going to get non pure football topics Warfish.

Right now we are in the transistion phase leading up to the free agency and the draft. As they approach I am sure you will see Jet and NFL threads start to predominate but the whole idea is to have some fun-there is enough stress and pressure in our lives- this site is set up to relax a little and enjoy yourselves.

There will be plenty of serious football talk when there's actually something to talk about.

For example, watch for me to SERIOUSLY call for Hermie's empty head on a platter not long into the season.

For now, it's sophomoric jokes away, baby!

There will be plenty of serious football talk when there's actually something to talk about.

For example, watch for me to SERIOUSLY call for Hermie's empty head on a platter not long into the season.

For now, it's sophomoric jokes away, baby!

Bob, let me give you this to feast on--Herm is on camera in the stands at the combines with his feet hanging over the seat in front of him absent-mindedly chewing his pen. LOL! OUR head coach, baby.

I know, I get it it. And I MEAN it when I say I didn't mean my post as a slight. Laugh at me if you like, but I respect the HELL out of many of you all here. I'm no egomaniac, but I know my share of football, and I know BS when I read it. And you guys KNOW your stuff. I mean REALLY know it. And hanging out with you all has been a blast the past year....I don't feel like a lonely exile stuck in Redskins land anymore. You cannot understand the value of that to me. (like I said, go ahead and laugh at me if you like, it does sound cheesy...).

Warfish brother, believe me when I tell you I know EXACTLY what you mean and I feel your pain. :(

To put my two cents in the off-season you are always going to get non pure football topics Warfish.

Which is fine.

The problem is when football topics get hijacked by non-football trashtalk, something I've been guilty of to an extent myself.

It was particularly bad in a couple of threads that got COMPLETELY sidetracked.

If half the threads here are trashtalk, and half are serious football talk that is OK IMO, particularly in the offseason---- the problem comes when that trashtalk is spread into EVERY thread and interrupts conversation.

God I'm turning into my mom.

Warfish brother, believe me when I tell you I know EXACTLY what you mean and I feel your pain. :(
Remove the branch from your arse and have some fun. How intense of a Jets discussion do we need to have right now? It's not like we are hijacking threads about ill relatives with jokes.

You want pain? How about a Juicy lip sore?

Remove the branch from your arse and have some fun. How intense of a Jets discussion do we need to have right now? It's not like we are hijacking threads about ill relatives with jokes.

You want pain? How about a Juicy lip sore?

Having fun is fine and in all honesty the humor on this board is a nice change of pace and I like that every other thread doesn't get locked here cause you have 5 moderators that want to flex their keyboards all night, but at the same time I understand where Warfish is coming from.

I think Jetnation will have more hardcore football threads as the season approaches. However,the offseason is always a slow period for real football stories. The draft is the traditional beginning of souped up football talk. The draft leads to mini-camps which leads to training camp which leads to the exhibition games that leads to the NEW SEASON!

The goofball threads act as a way to blow off steam. We are not professional writers, we are football fanatics that often add humor to get us through the long days of the offseason!

LL

Archived