Preds to move to Hamilton?

Mavrik

Courtesy of Detroit Free Press

New owner might have Predators moving out of Nashville

The Red Wings' budding rivalry with the Nashville Predators might soon be over.

Not because the Wings have had more success than the Predators in the playoffs. Or that the Predators stand to lose some key free agents this offseason.

It's because the Predators might not be in Nashville, possibly as early as after next season.

Craig Leipold has an agreement to sell the team to Canadian Jim Balsillie for $220 million. Leipold lost approximately $70 million in his 10 years of owning the Predators. That was enough.

"I'm tired of losing money," Leipold said at the press conference announcing the sale. "I found someone willing to step up and invest in this team and make it happen."

Immediately, speculation began about the Predators moving.

Balsillie almost bought the Pittsburgh Penguins earlier this season, with the reported intention of moving the team to Hamilton, Ontario. He wasn't successful then, but it's likely Balsillie will attempt to do the same with the Predators.

If the Predators don't average 14,000 paid attendance next season (they missed by several hundred this season), the team's lease with the city no longer is in effect.

Leipold said fans can keep the team in Nashville by attending games. A lack of corporate support continues to be a problem, as well.

"I have come to the conclusion that I cannot make it work here," Leipold said. "We are one of the elite teams in this league, and we are by far the lowest revenue team in the league."

A relocation attempt by Balsillie would not be easy. Toronto and Buffalo likely would try to block a move into the region.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman isn't thrilled with the concept of relocation, either. But Winnipeg, Kansas City and Houston are other options, and probably better choices than Nashville.

Bottom line: It looks like hockey in Music City has failed.

I've also seen reports that have them possibly moving to Winnipeg. Winnipeg would be a better fit for an NHL team. Already have a new arena set up in the city and don't have to worry about building one. Not to mention, Toronto and Buffalo are going to be up in arms with Bettman over the possibly of an NHL team invading their market.

According to Bettman, he was assured that the Predators would not be moved. I don't see a problem, let more teams go to Canada. Quebec and Winnipeg moving was a travesty anyways.

I agree. Quebec (Colorado) and Winnipeg (Phoenix) moving sucked. I just don't see how you can have 3 teams (Sabres, Predators, Maple Leafs) within 80 miles of each other.

I know that Hamilton is a hockey hotbed but I have to think that most hockey fans there are Toronto fans.

Hamilton pops up evrey once in a while as an NHL franchise location.

Would it work?

Probably.

Leafs tix are very diffcilut to get so there's a lot of fans in the area that would love to go to these games. Hamilton and Toronto's metro areas basically border each other, they're that close.

Be nice to give the fans in the area a chance to see a winning team.

:P

According to Bettman, he was assured that the Predators would not be moved. I don't see a problem, let more teams go to Canada. Quebec and Winnipeg moving was a travesty anyways.

Betteman is a total tool. Ate very turn he's made bad move after bad move.The NHL is ridiculously overexpanded,and it's been clear for a while that the NHL has too many bad markets like Nashville. The TV situation is a bigger mess.

Archived